i2s connection - Orange/Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
i have a Orange PI PC board with Allwinner H3 chip and i'd like to connect a i2s DAC (Teradac with Sabre ES9023).
20131103031156605660.jpg

At page 62 of H3 datasheet is writen:
Compliant with standard Inter-IC sound(I2S) bus specification
Compliant with left-justified, right-justified, PCM mode, and TDM(Time Division Multiplexing) format
Full-duplex synchronous work mode
Mater and slave mode configured
Adjustable audio sample resolution from 8-bit to 32-bit
Sample rate from 8KHz to 192KHz

and page 79 shows i2s connection:

PCM0_BCLK = I2S/PCM Sample Rate Clock/Sync - I/O
PCM0_BCLK = I2S/PCM Sample Rate Clock - I/O
PCM0_DOUT =I2S/PCM Serial Data Output - O
PCM0_DIN = I2S/PCM Serial Data Input - I

but i don't understand if PCM0_BCLK is LRCLK (WS) signal or no.
Someone can help me?

Hi Giachi.

Are you the same guy "Giachi" that post on the OPI forum about i2s question?

HiFi DACs for Orange Pi - page 3 - Add-ons - OrangePi - Powered by Discuz!

Im still wating receibe my opi board (mini 2) and too I would use with some dac attached trougth i2s but incredible that seems no one are triyed i2s conection at that moment.

Seems that i2s output are only enabled on some OPI boards (mini) and not for any like opi pc or others models because some shared gpio functions that miss i2s to gain other funtionality to same gpio pins...so i hope some can confirm that really are some OPI model that can work the i2s bus.

I believe that OPI can do like rpi a great job for audio and a half cost but his softw developement are still really really poor and so much caotic mainly with because of lack of manufacturer support for his softw and there is no minimally organized community do for that hardware developments on the other hand OPI is in my opinion an excellent design and hardware build with many many possibilities. Things of Chinese products ...

Last edited:
Hi Jirm,
yes, i am the same Giachi!
OPI mini has Allwinner A20, and OPI 2 or OPI PC have H3.
Yes, OPI can has big potentiality, more then Raspberry PI 2, but we are alone, without manufacturer support!
The manufacturer want make 2 new cheap board, with a goor hardware, but if he would invest more resource in tecnical support would be better!
Hope i2s will work :)

I hope this is not too off topic for this thread...

I'd like to know how you communicate with the DAC once you have made the proper connections to the I2S lines? Do you need custom code for this?

The reason I am asking is that I have an Orange Pi PC. I have gone as far as downloading a couple of versions of their OS ports and finally got one to work but then put it down and have been working mainly with the Raspberry Pi 2. I use USB DACs and find these to work well and they are NOT expensive. I stick to 48kHz 16 bit playback (which I find totally fine) and higher rates and bit depths may demand too much from the R-Pi USB bus...

Please post more details about this effort if and when you get it going. I would like to learn from your example.

I hope this is not too off topic for this thread...

I'd like to know how you communicate with the DAC once you have made the proper connections to the I2S lines? Do you need custom code for this?

The reason I am asking is that I have an Orange Pi PC. I have gone as far as downloading a couple of versions of their OS ports and finally got one to work but then put it down and have been working mainly with the Raspberry Pi 2. I use USB DACs and find these to work well and they are NOT expensive. I stick to 48kHz 16 bit playback (which I find totally fine) and higher rates and bit depths may demand too much from the R-Pi USB bus...

Please post more details about this effort if and when you get it going. I would like to learn from your example.

For me is not off topic :)
What versions of OS works good? It works with your USB DAC? What mode of Dac you have?
I chose ES Sabre 9023 I2s because is cheap (10 euro) and a lot of people told it sound very good (they tell with i2s interface, for example, there is less jitter, but i haven't much experience...).
If i use USB dac I occupy one USB port too.
I want do a compact mediacenter: 500GB HD + Orange PI PC (with infrared remote control + ES9023 DAC + TPA3116 + 19VDC power supply + 5VDC power supply.
I'd like use a OS like: Openelec or Volumio.

So here is the first shot. I am using Jacers Jessie, soundcard is not recognized. the next step will be changing the script.bin. But for now i have to go to work. If somebody could edit the script.bin, i will make a second try this evening.

BTW with Jacers Image the orangepipc behaves nearly Desktop like!

Regards

Hi to all

First all i think some one need test properlly if GPIO pins are well enabled to work for i2s bus and what OPI boards versions have really wired i2s to work. I say this because i read some tests of people checking that and some GPIO pins had changed functions (or multiwired several functions to same GPIO pins that need properlly enabled first to use) as each board version because this not all OPI boards versions have same funtions enabled on same GPIO pins.
The manufacturer say in his specifications that i2s are ready but only for OPI boards mini and mini 2 versions.

Last and answering the specific question of Charlie, the main problem will be finding the SO that have appropriate default or at least the real possibility of integrating the nedded alsa audio driver for the specific bdac board with i2s.
The issue is that since ALSA card need correctly be recognized when connected by i2s and that has to do both with the sound drivers for i2s (generic to control the bus) must bear with the Linux distribution being used as well as of the possibility to integrate the specific sound driver for the audio chip (Sabre DAC).

For the DAC Sabre ES9023 card referees both Raspbian (from RPI) as also Volumio that DAC is recognized by default with i2s, so if any of that SO commented would be perfects candidates for the OPI if finally they are adapted successfully to it, which what I can ascertain are not fully operational yet none of them but i think they should be tested for that.
Raspian : http://www.orangepi.org/downloaded/Raspbian_For_OrangePi.html
Volumio: http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=191&highlight=volumio

Finally remark that the 25th of this month Xulong are planned to launch two new versions of cards (one & lite) at very low cost (9 and 12$) that will be super-interesting for these kind of applications and I think with much better power / value relation that even the new RPI Zero that also is without stock from the same day they started selling nearly two months ago.
Four cpu cores 1.6Ghz on OPI vs one core 1.0 Ghz on RPI Zero and 100Mb ethernet (or Wi-fi network) on OPI vs none net device for RPI Zero.

But on OPI boards the problem is always the same.
How to get any good S.O. linux distribution that are really fully functional for OPI boards, because to date seems this is not been achieved.

Last edited:
So here is the first shot. I am using Jacers Jessie, soundcard is not recognized. the next step will be changing the script.bin. But for now i have to go to work. If somebody could edit the script.bin, i will make a second try this evening.

Regards

what image is Jacers? Where did you find?
I don't know yet script.bin... I am still waiting my Orange PI PC from China...

Regards

Jacers?. Whats that ? :eek:

Or you mean Raspbian Jessie ?

I think maybe you can try first Raspbian "offical" OPI adapted image and see what happend?

http://www.orangepi.org/downloaded/Raspbian_For_OrangePi.html

Regards

Last edited:
On the orange pi page you will find a thread with a Debian Jessie IMg made by jacer..I think you can not Miss it. it has got Hardware accceleration for the GPU enabled. So far it is the best i have tested so far.( sorry i am writing on my mobile ;) ) When i am back home later this evening i will send a link)

On the orange pi page you will find a thread with a Debian Jessie IMg made by jacer..I think you can not Miss it. it has got Hardware accceleration for the GPU enabled. So far it is the best i have tested so far.( sorry i am writing on my mobile ;) ) When i am back home later this evening i will send a link)

Ok.
Think I see that on OPI forum. Is a Debian image made from a user for OPI.
Debian Jessie with GPU driver, WiringOP, Wifi, Retroarch etc preinstalled - Debian - OrangePi - Powered by Discuz!

You know is that image on mainline kernel supported ?

If you say that Debian image is full working, maybe we can try find some support to push to work with i2s
But i think first all we need be sure the i2s bus from H3 are enabled and wired to GPIO and what is the propper pinout we need use for i2s specific with your board version (OPI pc) because im afraid that is not because a hardware lack on OPI pc.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.