i2s connection - Orange/Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just the LDOs for now - I'll resume testing once the replacement parts are in.

Normally I wouldn't have bothered fixing this board (it is after all dirt cheap), but since the LDOs were ~0.20€ I thought I would spend the 5 minutes swapping them in.

Plus it's a pretty cute little board - I couldn't just throw it away.

The new LDOs came, I swapped out the bad ones and the little DAC is now alive and kicking.

There are also a couple of electrolytics in parallel to DC-in which I should probably replace.. They were exposed to reverse voltage for some time.. the strange thing is that they didn't explode.

Hello, thanks all you guys for the amount of work you are putting in to this project. I have the orange pi plus, can anyone confirm the pin layout shown on page one is correct (there is a discussion on page three about swapping pins)?. Is the pin layout the same for the opi plus?. i bought PCM5102 DAC Decoder I2S, is it possible to get it up and running (complete newbie in linux). I think I will get the hardware in place but will have many questions later about the software. Still waiting for the cooling blocks.
Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have changed to a other dac and this works direct with mit raspberry b and volumio. I think my es9023 is defect.

Which image do you use for the es9023, can you send a picture that I can try it again?

Regards

I wrote a pretty detailed guide on enabling I2S and setting up MPD on an Orange Pi One or Lite. It will probably answer most questions.

It is here: Part 1 and Part 2

I wrote a pretty detailed guide on enabling I2S and setting up MPD on an Orange Pi One or Lite. It will probably answer most questions.

It is here: Part 1 and Part 2

Very good job Dimdim!
For long time my Orange PI PC and my ES8023 have been in a angle.
Now I have taken out the cards and i wan't finish my mediacenter.
I want use Openelec image, and I'd like remove 3.6 LDO and use a litium battery for give power supply to the analogic section .

Ok, hi there. :)
Pcm5102 and es9023 are funny of course, but what about real dacs? Of course, I'm talking of masterclock (magically absent in H3!!!) and slave clocking mode. Is there a way to feed the chip with a good clock source and get proper data out of it? Afaik, it's been done with A20/cubietruck already, and I'd love to hear something like about H3/orange.
Nothing to say about insanely poor chinglish datasheet section on iis: how the hell do they sell undocumented chips?.. How do they even make!! :D
Thanks in advance.

Hello guys...

I've installed a PCM5102A little DAC with i2S.
Everything is ok (but) :

1/ I can see the card

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [audiocodec ]: audiocodec - audiocodec
audiocodec
1 [snddaudio ]: snddaudio - snddaudio
snddaudio
2 [sndhdmi ]: sndhdmi - sndhdmi
sndhdmi

2/ I can really see it :

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: audiocodec [audiocodec], device 0: SUNXI-CODEC sndcodec-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: snddaudio [snddaudio], device 0: SUNXI-TDM0 snddaudio-0 []
card 2: sndhdmi [sndhdmi], device 0: SUNXI-HDMIAUDIO sndhdmi-0 []

3/ I can hear it:

sudo speaker-test -twav -c2 -Dhw:1

But I cannot understand what I have to do to be able to use it with squeezelite:

sudo /usr/bin/squeezelite-armv6hf -o front:CARD=snddaudio,DEV=1 -s 127.0.0.1
[14:16:28.343458] test_open:277 playback open error: Invalid argument
[14:16:28.344007] output_init_common:382 unable to open output device

If course I've tried with DEV=0.

Well I am stuck here, please could you help?

Last edited:
I've got a Zero Plus and I'm using it as a network streamer connected to a USB dac. I'm very fond of it - it's a lot faster than its younger siblings and its GbE port is wicked fast (>800Mbps throughput).

I had a look at its specs and its gpio ports and I'm afraid that some of the necessary signals have not been routed to the header.

What I don't know is whether these signals can be re-routed to other pins.

On the software side, there is very little to go on. I found some mention of I2S on H5 in the Armbian forum but no actual information. One thing's for sure - it's not done by editing a FEX file.

I just de-compiled the dtb included in the factory images and it looks like this is what we need:

daudio0@0 {
allwinner,pins = "PA20", "PA6", "PA18", "PA19", "PA21";
allwinner,function = "pcm0";
allwinner,muxsel = <0x3>;
allwinner,drive = <0x1>;
allwinner,pull = <0x0>;
linux,phandle = <0x3c>;
phandle = <0x3c>;
};

daudio@0x01c22000 {
compatible = "allwinner,sunxi-daudio";
reg = <0x0 0x1c22000 0x0 0x58>;
clocks = <0x2 0x3b>;
pinctrl-names = "default", "sleep";
pinctrl-0 = <0x3c>;
pinctrl-1 = <0x3d>;
pcm_lrck_period = <0x20>;
pcm_lrckr_period = <0x1>;
slot_width_select = <0x20>;
pcm_lsb_first = <0x0>;
tx_data_mode = <0x0>;
rx_data_mode = <0x0>;
daudio_master = <0x4>;
audio_format = <0x1>;
signal_inversion = <0x1>;
frametype = <0x0>;
tdm_config = <0x1>;
tdm_num = <0x0>;
mclk_div = <0x0>;
status = "disabled";
linux,phandle = <0x47>;
phandle = <0x47>;
device_type = "daudio0";
};

but I can't find a listing of the header pins anywhere.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.