i2s connection - Orange/Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Orange Pi series of boards are extremely low cost alternatives to the Raspberry Pi.

You can get an Orange Pi One delivered for ~12€.

They are open source hardware & software.

They do not have as much community support as the RPi but the do work. My issue is most likely a software issue.

I need to investigate further but I'm not in a hurry since I am using mine for streaming music to my kitchen's stereo (not-quite-the-hi-end setup).

Very likely the DAC accepts only some specifications of I2S (samplerate, bit width). When MPD does no conversion, your DAC does not handle correctly the native formats of some of your tracks. Your flacs happen to fit your DAC input params, while your MP3s don't. I would check the I2S driver/controller capabilities/setup with regard to the ES9023 specifications.

I did some testing. It turns out that everything works fine as long as I force output at either 16 or 32bits.

I read that MPD's default MP3 decoder always outputs 24bits so that might be the problem.

So a setting of format "*:32:*" works fine and should not be doing much damage to the music.

I'm not sure though whether it's a problem with the Orange Pi or the 9023..

Opi PC speaker Test Command nötig found

Hi to all
i2s enabled kernels

[ 4.327484] ALSA device list:
[ 4.334020] #0: audiocodec
[ 4.340439] #1: snddaudio
[ 4.346658] #2: sndhdmi

root@OrangePI:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [audiocodec ]: audiocodec - audiocodec
audiocodec
1 [snddaudio ]: snddaudio - snddaudio
snddaudio
2 [sndhdmi ]: sndhdmi - sndhdmi
sndhdmi

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3COWn8ZF1MBcXdnakZuTlhXdlE

only OrangePi PC password: orangepi
fs_resize
web interface Logitech Media Server orangepi:9000

Wow! It works. Second try, I extracted the kernel from ua3nbw ,everthing that is in "boot" and the folders firmware and modules (to be found in lib) and copied them to the sd card with Jacers Img. Then I connected the card as shown in #21 and
Code:
sudo speaker-test  -D hw:1 -c 2
gives me pink noise on both channels....
It would have been nice to have HDMI with all Channels and no downmix to 2 but anyway:

Thanks for this great work ua3nbw !

Regards

Hello everybody,
I'm new to the topic and bought the opi pc and teradak es9023.
I have Download the image of jassie and connect the pins as Show in the picture.

I Boot the opi PC and try to use speaker-test but it comes command not found.

root@OrangePI:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
1 [audiocodec ]: audiocodec - audiocodec
audiocodec
1 [snddaudio ]: snddaudio - snddaudio
snddaudio
1 [sndhdmi ]: sndhdmi - sndhdmi
sndhdmi

Please can someone help me?

Thanks.

Regards

Hello,
i have a Orange PI PC board with Allwinner H3 chip and i'd like to connect a i2s DAC (Teradac with Sabre ES9023).
20131103031156605660.jpg

At page 62 of H3 datasheet is writen:
Compliant with standard Inter-IC sound(I2S) bus specification
Compliant with left-justified, right-justified, PCM mode, and TDM(Time Division Multiplexing) format
Full-duplex synchronous work mode
Mater and slave mode configured
Adjustable audio sample resolution from 8-bit to 32-bit
Sample rate from 8KHz to 192KHz

and page 79 shows i2s connection:

PCM0_BCLK = I2S/PCM Sample Rate Clock/Sync - I/O
PCM0_BCLK = I2S/PCM Sample Rate Clock - I/O
PCM0_DOUT =I2S/PCM Serial Data Output - O
PCM0_DIN = I2S/PCM Serial Data Input - I

but i don't understand if PCM0_BCLK is LRCLK (WS) signal or no.
Someone can help me?
Hi, i connect the TeraDak an use the two pin connector like the Color, but the Color is nötig Right in my case, Black is +5V and red is GND.

Do you know that the TeraDak has a polarity Protection?
Or is the dac defect if you connect this with wrong polarity?

Regards

A friend of mine came over a few days back with one such DAC that wasn't working. I noticed that when I was powering it up, it was shorting my power supply.

I took a closer look and saw that it had the red and black wires put in the wrong way. The power cable that came with the DAC was faulty.

The end result was 2 blown LDOs on the board.

I suggest that you fix the cable before you power the thing up.

If you've already given it power, chances are that your LDOs are gone. Hook it up the proper way (according to the marking on the PCB) and check for 3.3V on the LDO's outputs (just probe all pins, one of them should be at 3.3V). If you measure just ~1V then the LDO is gone. Ask for a refund.

Last edited:
A friend of mine came over a few days back with one such DAC that wasn't working. I noticed that when I was powering it up, it was shorting my power supply.

I took a closer look and saw that it had the red and black wires put in the wrong way. The power cable that came with the DAC was faulty.

The end result was 2 blown LDOs on the board.

I suggest that you fix the cable before you power the thing up.

If you've already given it power, chances are that your LDOs are gone. Hook it up the proper way (according to the marking on the PCB) and check for 3.3V on the LDO's outputs (just probe all pins, one of them should be at 3.3V). If you measure just ~1V then the LDO is gone. Ask for a refund.
Hi again, so you mean this one?

https://www.reichelt.de/?ARTICLE=16...Mp5t6dTZetLQGHJVbBg6W4iQXL100t8G80aAoM08P8HAQ

How can i Test this?

Regards

Measurement of LDO

Hi,
I found on the net a data sheet and have between measured pin 5 and pin 2 3.2V and between pin 5 and pin 1 5V, if I have understood correctly then the LDO is still working.

Please See the picture.

I there anything else which can be damaged?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 351
Have you checked the Rest of parts on the dac pcb, or only both LDOs?

I have measured both f the LDOs, on both sides i find 3,2V, i think my power suply was not strong enough to damaged the LDOs only 1A.

Just the LDOs for now - I'll resume testing once the replacement parts are in.

Normally I wouldn't have bothered fixing this board (it is after all dirt cheap), but since the LDOs were ~0.20€ I thought I would spend the 5 minutes swapping them in.

Plus it's a pretty cute little board - I couldn't just throw it away.

Hi friends
I'm new I have Dac PCM5102 DAC Decoder Player I2S it and connect as shown in the first page but with home cinema amplifier it works well and when I plug the speaker sounds almost not hear.
they must add amplifiers dac has this card or not, normally that with thank you pregnant

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.