Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

i2s connection - Orange/Dac
i2s connection - Orange/Dac
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2016, 11:13 AM   #11
jirm is offline jirm  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi to all

First all i think some one need test properlly if GPIO pins are well enabled to work for i2s bus and what OPI boards versions have really wired i2s to work. I say this because i read some tests of people checking that and some GPIO pins had changed functions (or multiwired several functions to same GPIO pins that need properlly enabled first to use) as each board version because this not all OPI boards versions have same funtions enabled on same GPIO pins.
The manufacturer say in his specifications that i2s are ready but only for OPI boards mini and mini 2 versions.

Last and answering the specific question of Charlie, the main problem will be finding the SO that have appropriate default or at least the real possibility of integrating the nedded alsa audio driver for the specific bdac board with i2s.
The issue is that since ALSA card need correctly be recognized when connected by i2s and that has to do both with the sound drivers for i2s (generic to control the bus) must bear with the Linux distribution being used as well as of the possibility to integrate the specific sound driver for the audio chip (Sabre DAC).

For the DAC Sabre ES9023 card referees both Raspbian (from RPI) as also Volumio that DAC is recognized by default with i2s, so if any of that SO commented would be perfects candidates for the OPI if finally they are adapted successfully to it, which what I can ascertain are not fully operational yet none of them but i think they should be tested for that.
Raspian : http://www.orangepi.org/downloaded/R..._OrangePi.html
Volumio: http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbse...hlight=volumio

Finally remark that the 25th of this month Xulong are planned to launch two new versions of cards (one & lite) at very low cost (9 and 12$) that will be super-interesting for these kind of applications and I think with much better power / value relation that even the new RPI Zero that also is without stock from the same day they started selling nearly two months ago.
Four cpu cores 1.6Ghz on OPI vs one core 1.0 Ghz on RPI Zero and 100Mb ethernet (or Wi-fi network) on OPI vs none net device for RPI Zero.

But on OPI boards the problem is always the same.
How to get any good S.O. linux distribution that are really fully functional for OPI boards, because to date seems this is not been achieved.

Last edited by jirm; 20th January 2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 20th January 2016, 11:24 AM   #12
Giachi is offline Giachi
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyunlimited View Post
So here is the first shot. I am using Jacers Jessie, soundcard is not recognized. the next step will be changing the script.bin. But for now i have to go to work. If somebody could edit the script.bin, i will make a second try this evening.

BTW with Jacers Image the orangepipc behaves nearly Desktop like!

Regards
what image is Jacers? Where did you find?
I don't know yet script.bin... I am still waiting my Orange PI PC from China...
Old 20th January 2016, 11:39 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So here is the first shot. I am using Jacers Jessie, soundcard is not recognized. the next step will be changing the script.bin. But for now i have to go to work. If somebody could edit the script.bin, i will make a second try this evening.

BTW with Jacers Image the orangepipc behaves nearly Desktop like!

Regards
Jacers?. Whats that ?

Or you mean Raspbian Jessie ?

I think maybe you can try first Raspbian "offical" OPI adapted image and see what happend?

http://www.orangepi.org/downloaded/R..._OrangePi.html

Regards

Last edited by jirm; 20th January 2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 20th January 2016, 12:38 PM   #14
skyunlimited is offline skyunlimited  Germany
diyAudio Member

On the orange pi page you will find a thread with a Debian Jessie IMg made by jacer..I think you can not Miss it. it has got Hardware accceleration for the GPU enabled. So far it is the best i have tested so far.( sorry i am writing on my mobile ) When i am back home later this evening i will send a link)
Old 20th January 2016, 01:22 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
On the orange pi page you will find a thread with a Debian Jessie IMg made by jacer..I think you can not Miss it. it has got Hardware accceleration for the GPU enabled. So far it is the best i have tested so far.( sorry i am writing on my mobile ) When i am back home later this evening i will send a link)
Ok.
Think I see that on OPI forum. Is a Debian image made from a user for OPI.
Debian Jessie with GPU driver, WiringOP, Wifi, Retroarch etc preinstalled - Debian - OrangePi - Powered by Discuz!

You know is that image on mainline kernel supported ?

If you say that Debian image is full working, maybe we can try find some support to push to work with i2s
But i think first all we need be sure the i2s bus from H3 are enabled and wired to GPIO and what is the propper pinout we need use for i2s specific with your board version (OPI pc) because im afraid that is not because a hardware lack on OPI pc.

Last edited by jirm; 20th January 2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 20th January 2016, 01:53 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I post on OPI forums a question to try to some one help us to clarify how we can make work i2s.

I2S bus what OPI boards version have that enabled and GPIO pins we need wire... - General discussion - OrangePi - Powered by Discuz!

Last edited by jirm; 20th January 2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 20th January 2016, 01:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I do not have the skills to check Wether the Pins are connected

or not. i will edit the script bin , AS discussed on the opiforum but in case it does not work i can not do anything else.
Old 20th January 2016, 03:26 PM   #18
Giachi is offline Giachi
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all Skyunlimited!
Old 20th January 2016, 03:55 PM   #19
Giachi is offline Giachi
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I do not have the skills to check Wether the Pins are connected

or not. i will edit the script bin , AS discussed on the opiforum but in case it does not work i can not do anything else.
Here is written probabily is necessary set in script.bin

Code:
daudio_used = 1
Old 20th January 2016, 09:20 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

So i edited the script.bin (use sunxi-tools bin2fex and fex2bin) but changing "daudio_used = 1" did not do the trick, the card is not recognized.

Regards

i2s connection - Orange/DacHide this!Advertise here!