Windows 7 / EMU 0404 PCI HF rolloff ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2015, 02:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Windows 7 / EMU 0404 PCI HF rolloff ?

OK. So I am just dipping my toe into the murky waters of PC-based audio, in order to do some before/after measurement of some amplifier upgrade work I'm doing.

I saw that folk are using 'PC soundcards' and software such as 'RMAA' to do this, so after a brief bit of research I acquired an EMU 0404 PCI, which I've just installed into a Windows 7 PC.

My very first task was to assess its output, so I hooked up my old oscilloscope and HP AC Voltmeter, and downloaded an audio signal generator application. I used a 600ohm terminator, and set the output level to 0db/0.775v using the main mix slider in 'Patchmix DSP'.

I am seeing a distinct HF cutoff above ~16kHz. It's down by 3db at ~18.5kHz and ~7db by 20kHz.

I can't see any filtering configuration in Patchmix, nor in the Windows sound control panel.

Either the card is faulty or there's some software nonsense going on ? Any pointers welcome...

Andy
Old 11th December 2015, 02:57 PM   #2
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

What is the samplerate set to?

I get essentially flat response out to 20K on loopback with samplerate of 96k (Which is what I use with this card). The SOS review was also quite flattering, however in that case a simple loopback cable would have been used, without termination resistors. Link - Emu 0404

Have you tried terminating with a higher value resistor? Are the cables sufficiently low capacitance? At 600 ohm even small cable capacitance can cause major droop. I doubt it is a software issue - the one thing to check though is that you operate in ASIO mode only, as W7 can do some funky things with resampling when running in shared mode.
Old 11th December 2015, 05:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think your last point hit the nail on the head, I checked the settings in one of the apps (Visual Analyser) and the sample rate and bit depth weren't in sync with the driver. Oops. VA is doing some weird stuff, the amplitude annoyingly flobbers about all over the place when using the slider to adjust frequency.

I distrust Windows as a platform for this already...
Old 18th December 2015, 02:35 PM   #4
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Download Arta

Also it's Creative that you should distrust as a platform.

Hide this!Advertise here!