moode vs volumio vs runeaudio

I tried moode and volumio and could not get either to connect to my NAS (FreeNAS 9.3 with anonymous access to the shared music folder). I tried everything I (read, a Google search) could come up with and nothing.

I've given both the flick and will now use the Pi2 as a car computer.

I've use Volumio 1.55 but MoOde has replaced it. Volumio V2 should be interesting but it has been ages since the dev was launched and to date there is no stable release. MoOde's Tim Curtis is very responsive and has built a nice system which just works for me. The new MoOde OS should be very interesting. Am looking forward to it.

I tried moode and volumio and could not get either to connect to my NAS (FreeNAS 9.3 with anonymous access to the shared music folder). I tried everything I (read, a Google search) could come up with and nothing.

I've given both the flick and will now use the Pi2 as a car computer.

I have used Moode with my freenas since I first started playing with music players - it works just great.

If you can't get it to connect, check the log on FreeNAS - it's fairly informative about what the error was.

Or, post your shared folder configuration (FreeNAS end) and I'm sure I can work out the config for you.

Hi,

I want to share my exeprience as I used the 3 software Volumio, Runeaudio and Moode Audio.

I started using Volumio, I switched to Runeaudio because in my opinion it is the best user interface comparing Volumio and Moode, then I tried Moode audio and find a significant audio quality improvement (I don't know why, maybe because of ALSA?) so I left Runeaudio to go Moode Audio.

Cheers,

I've had my RPi/PiDAC combo streaming music for over 18 months and never felt the need to use Moode, Rune or Volumio. Just install MPD on top of whatever OS distro you have installed on your Pi, configure the MPD conf file and away you go.

There's plenty of MPD clients out there for Windows/Linux/Android et al. Personally I use MPDroid on my Android devices and Ario on my Linux PCs.

I've had my RPi/PiDAC combo streaming music for over 18 months and never felt the need to use Moode, Rune or Volumio. Just install MPD on top of whatever OS distro you have installed on your Pi, configure the MPD conf file and away you go.

There's plenty of MPD clients out there for Windows/Linux/Android et al. Personally I use MPDroid on my Android devices and Ario on my Linux PCs.

This is like buying new furniture. You can buy it either assembled or disassembled. Some people prefer assembled the other disassembled. But you are right functionality/sound quality wise I don't think that assembled system is better if you know what and where should be tuned for better sound. You can consider those systems just as a web UI on top of mpd assembled into Linux image.

Last edited:
Interesting that not one post mentioned the quality of the sound...

For me, moOde wins hands-down over Volumio and Rune...
I have to agree on both accounts: my intention when using something like Moode or Volumio is first and foremost to have great audio.

While looking at comparisons I was expecting from the subjective "This sounded better" to the very technical: "This is better because the re sampling algorithm is this an that". I was surprised that all comparisons discuss User Inteface and many other (for me) secondary differences.

So, I did an a-c, b-c comparison (not being able to do a side by side as I have only one raspberry). So I set up Spotify premium at extreme settings and changed inputs from Spotify to the Raspeberry first with Volumio, then to Moode both with hi res 24/96 samples of the same song.

The difference, in my opinion, was significant! For me, Volumio sounded a little worse than Spotify. This was surprising as the file was a (supposedly) much better source, yet, still, it sounded worse. Moode, on the other hand, presented the 'edge' I was looking for when going for this setup vs only streamed music. Sound was more spacious and the dynamic ranges of the higher frequencies were cleaner.

So, as of today (Dec 2016), Moode is, for me and from an audio quality perspective, the better option.

Hope this helps others,
Best regards,
Rafa.

One major difference between the distros is the updates - Moode is being very actively developed and Tim is adding more features every week.

At the same time, he is actively updating core components like shairport-sync, MPD, spotify-connect, squeezebox, etc. as they become available.

I've been fumbling around with various Pi for quite a few years now and find that Moode gives the best balance of functionality, usable UI and compatibility with the rest of my gear, compared with Rune and Volumio.

But, YMMV - what I like may not be to your taste..

All of them are complete software offerings, just pick the one you like the best.

I've been using Runeaudio for a month now and today I loaded up a moode just to see if it had anything over the rune.
Here is why I prefer rune over moode:
- setup, rune was much easier for me, guides for rune are easier to search for a newbie like me as rune has a dedicated forum. It is hard to find answers in the 600+ page thread on diyA
- rune has dedicated Android app - this is apparently able to control moode just fine too :O (question: what app moode people use to remote control from android phone?)
- my relatively small 2000 song library takes forever to load up into the MPD of the moode (the update thing is either frozen or I don't know but it was on for more then 2 hours before a setting change restarted the player, it still shows 1200 songs while I have 2000 on the external drive)
At the end both sounds the same to my untrained ears so I do not feel I must switch. I see a lot of people on here prefers moode and I would love to learn why/what am I missing.

I have used Volumio for a long time and still in my PCM1794 based player. For best results I use upsampling to 24bit. Volumio2 does not offer this feature yet, so I moved to Moode and was very pleased with all the features. Very quick booting and stable. And sounds very good with my new small player. It is an hat dac for the raspberry based an PCM1793, external power supply and best components.
So my winner is MOODE!

I have used all of the above with Pi2, Pi3, and BeagleBone with USB DAC's, USB SPDIF converters, Piano + Kali, Piano 2.1 + Kali, Boss, HiFiBerry DIGI+ Pro, HiFiBerry DAC+ and a couple others. My thoughts:
Volumio is the prettiest.
Rune sounds a bit better depending on the chosen config.
Moode is far more configurable and sounds better than Volumio and Rune.
None of them are great with my 90,000+ track library.
But my favorite by far is PiCorePlayer, as it is the truest sound of the bunch. Requires the LMS hassles, but it definitely seems to help doing as little as possible on the Pi board while rendering audio.
Hopefully the Moode 3.5 RT kernel will improve matters.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have used all of the above with Pi2, Pi3, and BeagleBone with USB DAC's, USB SPDIF converters, Piano + Kali, Piano 2.1 + Kali, Boss, HiFiBerry DIGI+ Pro, HiFiBerry DAC+ and a couple others. My thoughts:
But my favorite by far is PiCorePlayer, as it is the truest sound of the bunch. Requires the LMS hassles, but it definitely seems to help doing as little as possible on the Pi board while rendering audio.

Interesting comments bb3ii,

I think we are very lucky that here are so many options, and for free or very little outlay. There is bound to be one that suits most people. :)

regards

I've been a confirmed Rune user (despite occasionally dallying with Moode and Volumio), until a week ago, when I persevered with PCP. It is now my player on an RPi2, RPi3 and two Pi Zero Ws. I'm running LMS on an Allo Sparky running DietPi.

Excellent sound, a great phone App, Squeezer, and multiroom - superb...

One major difference between the distros is the updates - Moode is being very actively developed and Tim is adding more features every week.

At the same time, he is actively updating core components like shairport-sync, MPD, spotify-connect, squeezebox, etc. as they become available.

I've been fumbling around with various Pi for quite a few years now and find that Moode gives the best balance of functionality, usable UI and compatibility with the rest of my gear, compared with Rune and Volumio.

But, YMMV - what I like may not be to your taste..

All of them are complete software offerings, just pick the one you like the best.

I second that, so far moode still my favorite Raspberry Pi for my personal music player. But Rune and Volumio also very good software. Three of them also updating their software continuously.

I did a blind test: intel nuc (volumio) vs rPi3 (moode) with USB async DAC. Intel nuc running volumio 2 was better - but not a night and day difference.

I was a squeezebox kind of guy forever. When logitech announced they would no longer be continuing the product line I was devastated. Literally, devastated, I sold off all my squeezebox gear and started a crazy journey.

After a lot of research, I ended up with JRiver and a schiit modi usb dac. After running this way for a couple years I discovered PI's.

I'll never forget the day I a/b'd a NUC/Jriver/USB dac with a PI3/Moode/HiFiberry DAC+ in short I have never looked back.

My modest +10k flac tracks are served up to PI's running Moode or whole house Chrome (audio) dongles by Minimserver using BubbleUp as a control point.

I have paid or contributed for all software. All hardware/software costs less than I payed for my last squeezebox duet. Music life is simple again, like it should be!