Loudspeaker measurement in active setups

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the process of building a 4-way active speaker.

1. I am going to use a Fanless HTPC as my source + DSP XO/correction filters
2. I will build the filters using rePhase
3. Will be using convolution engine in JRiver
4. Multichannel DAC has following options
a. Asus Essence STXII 7.1 PCIE soundcard
b. MOTU USB audio interface
c. A dedicated ES9018 multichannel dac using MiniDSP USBstreamer as the multichannel USB interface to the PC
5. My measurement gear includes a EMM6 calibrated microphone, Focusrite 2i2 as USB soundcard with Mic preamp

A concern that i have been having is a reliable measurement setup for the above active loudspeaker system.
Measurement tools like ARTA seem to require input and output channels to be on the same soundcard in ASIO mode. In this case MOTU or the 7.1 ASUS soundcard having both ADC and DAC controlled through same driver and full duplex through the USB/PCIE port seem to be suitable.

But how to use the standalone USB MC DAC with Focusrite 2i2 for microphone? In this case one USB port/driver is for the measured response from the Mic preamp. A second USB port/driver is used to output the measurement sweep through the Jriver convolution engine (XO/filters) and out through the MC DAC -> MC amp -> drivers. Is something like whats show below possible? Or is it advisable to keep both the mic and DAC on the same interface?

Please advice if this can be made to accurately and reliable work to measure and develop the filters in the first place.

Attachments

• sys.jpg
    sys.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.