crackling youtube etc - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2015, 07:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default crackling youtube etc

This has been driving me nuts!! I live in a remote area, only get 3Mbps broadband and cr*p latency ~40mS sooo when I was able to detect occasional crackling on Youtube I wasn't entirely surprised especially as it came and went. So I stuck to Winamp for most of my music, recently it appeared to get corrupt so I re-downloaded it (not easy as it's all changed) and lo and behold I started to detect occasional crackling with winamp too!!

To cut a long story short I tried all the sophisticated solutions like cache size, cpu latency and god knows what BUT it turned out to be a STUPID cable I had made!!

I have a laptop with Realtek HD audio and it has no means of providing a mono signal so I simply shorted the tip & ring at the audio jack, that was it, the crackling was dependent on the difference between left and right channels and amazingly didn't matter what the level was!!

The fix was to use two 30R resistors to connect the two channels!!

Salutatory lesson to look for the simple things first and ignore all the hash on google hahaha
Old 29th August 2015, 07:40 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, 30R is pretty low, 100R to 200R would be better, rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 29th August 2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 30th August 2015, 07:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi, 30R is pretty low, 100R to 200R would be better, rgds, sreten.
That might be your opinion were you to be making a cable for yourself, as for me I chose the values I did for perfectly valid reasons thankyou.
Old 31st August 2015, 03:33 AM   #4
GeneZ is offline GeneZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossusfan View Post
This has been driving me nuts!! I live in a remote area, only get 3Mbps broadband and cr*p latency ~40mS sooo when I was able to detect occasional crackling on Youtube I wasn't entirely surprised especially as it came and went. So I stuck to Winamp for most of my music, recently it appeared to get corrupt so I re-downloaded it (not easy as it's all changed) and lo and behold I started to detect occasional crackling with winamp too!!
With WinAmp... If it allows for more than 100% volume? Make sure it does not go over 100%. Anything above that mark may cause crackling on many audio tracks. My GOM Player offers 200%. Its there for low level audio tracks. But, if I forget to reset it back to 100%? I get crackling. Its overloading.

Old 1st September 2015, 08:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes I have to watch winamp too, poor winamp has been taken over by someone, I cant even download the version I used to have, hope someone restores it to a decent state again, it used to be good!!

Hide this!Advertise here!