piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite

Ja, i have a lms on my main computer (gentoo linux) which feeds the picoreplayer. I thought maybe i could plug the piplayer in some friends hifi gear and have my music-on-a-stick inserted. Populating the lms‘s database shouldnt take that long, or can do it at home. (have lms installed on piplayer as well)

I guess, my question boils down to: is a usb-drive automagically mounted when i plug it in or not?

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ja, i have a lms on my main computer (gentoo linux) which feeds the picoreplayer. I thought maybe i could plug the piplayer in some friends hifi gear and have my music-on-a-stick inserted. Populating the lms‘s database shouldnt take that long, or can do it at home. (have lms installed on piplayer as well)

piCorePlayer works just like the genuine Logitech Squeezebox player, it requires LMS.

I guess, my question boils down to: is a usb-drive automagically mounted when i plug it in or not?

No, using the latest pCP it is not automatically mounted.

You can have pCP and LMS on the same RPi with a USB drive attached. It does require some effort to setup.

regards

Just tried picoreplayer (optimized audio version 3.22) with LMS 7.7.5 and all is great. It recognizes even the Schiit Eitr transport that Daphile cannot play.

However, while the majority of the flac files I have shows up and play flawlessly, there are some foreign language files, namely Japanese files that shows up as empty.

Scouring the web brought a post regarding enabling 8.3 file format on where the music files are and recopying post enabling.

Is there a consensus that this is necessary? I tried a nightly build version 7.9 as of a few days ago, still the empty folders show up for these Japanese music files.

Can someone point me to solutions if any, thanks.

Problem of LMS showing up empty for Japanese music after rescan has been solved - just like on web of someone with similar circumstance.

Enable 8dot3 file format on hdd (my library hdd = D:\) for library, so "D:\> fsutil 8dot3name set D: 0".

I had to delete all the Japanese music files on my hdd, then enable 8.3 format and recopying all the files back on. All is good.

Picoreplayer is very nice, especially through Schiit Eitr then to Modi (SPDIF).

Hope this can help someone else out.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
24 Mar 2018 - piCorePlayer 3.5.0

The pCP team has released an update for piCorePlayer.

Here are the major changes:
  • RPi 3B+ Support.
  • Kernel 4.14.26
  • RPi Firmware 14 Mar, 2018.
  • Moves to a 9.x piCore Base.
  • Moved from busybox modutils to kmod based modutils (For better module dependency and configuration).
  • Updated to Squeezelite 1.8.7-1052, includes native DSD support.
  • Cirrus Logic (Wolfson) Card support.
  • Hifiberry Amp2 Support.
  • Bluetooth Speaker Support.
  • Wireless AP Support (Tested with internal RPi wifi).
  • Shairport-Sync 3.1.7, with added separate output settings.
  • Audio Kernel (armv7 only) is now a RT kernel /w Full Preemption.
Notes:

• Kernel's in the 4.14.y and newer have increased the default required version of SMB and NFS mounts. 3.0 is now required by default, if your NAS does not support this, you will need to explicitly set vers=2.0 (or maybe even vers=1.0) on the mount options. See the information on network mount section of the LMS page.

New images or insitu update are available. The released versions can be downloaded here.

The pCP team
Paul, Greg, Ralphy and Steen

I have attached an empty usb drive to my picoreplayer v3.5. I want to be able to use it as a music drive and copy files to it from windows. I have mounted the drive fine, entered beta mode and tried to set up a samba share. I have given it a name, set the share path and entered 0664 as the file mode. I can see the share in windows but if I try to write to it I get destination folder access denied. What have I missed?