piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have a Daphile box (x86), which is of course LMS, and it accesses music on my NAS (x64 FreeNAS 9.10).

I am not familiar with Daphile so I will assume you have successfully scanned your music and have LMS working.

My questions are, please;
If I install picore on my RPi 2, will it need to access the Daphile box, or if I want it to see the NAS, install LMS on it too?.

All you have to do is:

1. Download the piCorePlayer image.
2. Burn image to a SD card (ie. using Win32Diskimager).
3. Insert the SD card, a LAN cable into Raspberry Pi and apply power.
4. Out of the box, the analog audio via the 3.5mm jack will be working.

BTW: piCore is the OS. piCorePlayer = piCore + squeezelite + other stuff.

Can multiple picores be setup in the one house?.

Yes

What Android app is recommended for multiple (if the answer to the above is yes) installs?

I use Apple devices so I am not able to comment on Android apps. There are some and I am sure a google search or look at the Logitech Squeezebox forum will give the answers.

Once you have piCorePlayer running you can access it via a web browser and it's IP address and set the hundred and one options.

regards

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Really like picoreplayer :) Been using it for a long time.
Just one quick question:
Are there any plans of porting it to other platforms than RPI?

Best Regards

hi bambadoo,

No. With our limited resources it's hard enough to keep up with the versions of the Raspberry Pi. We missed the introduction of the Raspberry Pi 2B version 1.2 and only got pCP going on it a few weeks ago! :)

I would like see Tiny Core/squeezelite on the PC but with the million combinations of hardware it would be difficult to support.

regards

Joined 2002
Paid Member
BTW. Just an idea.

The other day I increased my 0p2 partition just 200MB to load some extra packages for compiling squeezelite on my own.
Why just 200MB!?!? And not the full SD capacity as offered by PcP.

I don't want to have numerous 8GB backup files on the disk all the time.
And restore time goes seriously down.

After a SD backup I shrink my backup files to the size of the 2nd partition. ( I have a script doing that of course)
If you guys feel motivated, you might think about a configurable partition adjustment.

hi soundcheck,

Steen has implemented "a configurable partition adjustment" in piCorePlayer 3.10. Options are 100MB, 200MB, 300MB, 500MB, 1000MB and full SD card.

regards

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am having an issue setting up piCorePlayer.

I download the image and flash the sd card and am able to boot up pCP. After that, i expand the file system, reboot, etc. Next, i install LMS and reboot. At this point, both Squeezelite and LMS are running. Before I can configure LMS, I have to install the additional file systems because I have an attached NTFS formatted USB drive.

Once the additional file systems are installed and the system is rebooted, Squeezelite is no longer running. LMS is running, howver, when I go to configure LMS, I see that I have the option to install LMS.

Can anyone provide any insight into what is happening?

hi cmsdld,

Did you try pCP3.10?

regards

Thanks for a good alternative to use between my vortextbox and my usb dac. Vortexbox doesnt recognize my dac but this does.
Still have a issue, the picoreplayer "stalls" very often and need manually reboots a lot, more than 5 times a day.... Happend in 3.02 and now in 3.10.

My linux skills are very limited, but does any have a good solution to this?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for a good alternative to use between my vortextbox and my usb dac. Vortexbox doesnt recognize my dac but this does.
Still have a issue, the picoreplayer "stalls" very often and need manually reboots a lot, more than 5 times a day.... Happend in 3.02 and now in 3.10.

My linux skills are very limited, but does any have a good solution to this?

Hi reinertsen,

Obviously this is not normal behaviour! For example, my piCorePlayers never just stops requiring a reboot.

What do you mean by stalls?

What is "my dac"?

Are you using wifi?

What Raspberry Pi are you using?

On the [Tweaks] page there are "USB Audio tweaks", have you tried these?

regards

Hi reinertsen,

Obviously this is not normal behaviour! For example, my piCorePlayers never just stops requiring a reboot.

What do you mean by stalls?

What is "my dac"?

Are you using wifi?

What Raspberry Pi are you using?

On the [Tweaks] page there are "USB Audio tweaks", have you tried these?

regards

Hi Mr Greg.

I didnt expect this to be normal, else i would most likley find a solution using google on the issue already:)

It stalls: It does sound like a scratched CD that jumps for a second and no sound after that.
Reboot device make it function for a few hours and than the same procedure happens again.

My dac is a GroundSound DCN28 Ground Sound

I am not connected to wifi.

My rasperry Pi is a pi2.

I have not set anything on the Tweaks page, i dont know where i should start there.

Kindly Regards

Joined 2002
Paid Member
hi reinertsen,

If you set the mode to [Advanced] on the bottom left had corner of the [Main Page], then go to the [Tweaks] page.

Scroll down the [Tweaks] page until you find "USB Audio tweaks". Try these individually to see if they affect your DAC.

Here is a list of DACs people are using. I couldn't see yours in the list but this page may give you some clues to what you can try.

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/List-of-USB-DACs

It also looks like you DAC supports digital in, so you could also try a I2Sto Digital HAT.

regards

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi ZacharyP,

No.

Generally, once the drivers get accepted and included in Raspbian, it then flows into piCore then piCorePlayer. On some occasions we jump ahead of piCore.

Clive was the main "goto" guy that got the drivers into Linux in a timely manner, unfortunately for us, he has gone... "stage left".

BTW: The manufacturer may have a manual process to include the drivers.

regards

Hi, as Greg mentioned, pCP does not currently support the new Boss DAC. The problem is that we try to make it easy to install a new DAC via a dropdown list but in order to do this we need to do more than just loading the dt-overlay which are supplied by the raspberry foundation or manufacturer.

Therefore we need access to any board that we support. We have been lucky that some of the producers donate DACs for each of the four developers so we can work on this.
The new Boss is still so new and we haven't had access to it.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Announce: piCorePlayer 3.20 Beta

Hi, the team is nearing the completion of the release of a new piCorePlayer 3.20. Because of the many significant kernel changes, improvements and bug fixes we decided to offer a public beta. Anyone is free to try the beta, but if you find a problem please post diagnostic data.

Both version are ready for testing
  1. piCorePlayer3.20beta5 which is a normal version like all previous pCP releases. The kernel and modules are mostly vanilla versions from the official raspberry pi linux source with only a couple of tweaks.
  2. piCorePlayer3.20beta5-Audio version. This version contain all the same improvements as the above normal version. But in addition we have added all the audio related patches that Clive (aka JackOfAll) made for the raspberry kernel. So here we have support for more i2s-DACs and we support higher sample rates etc.

**Please note: This version is only recommended for I2S soundcards and hardwired network. The optimizations for audio has been known to interfere with wifi, and for sure will make USB soundcards unstable.

Changelog:
  • KERNEL/FIRMWARE changes
  • Kernel 4.9.17
  • rpi firmware 2017/03/31
  • config.txt changes to increase usable memory on rpi2/3 by 16M
  • config.txt changes to decrease videocore memory usage.
  • rpi Zero-W Support
  • Allo Boss and Piano-Plus Support
  • Changed 8192cu driver (same version that OSMC uses)
  • 8812au driver included

Other PCP changes
  • Squeezelite updated to v1.86-945
  • ffmpeg updated to 3.17
  • wiringpi shared libraries included by default. (Used to be static linked to squeezelite).
  • flac updated to 1.3.2
  • utf8 support for fat32 partitions
  • New card configuration system, will help with speed on squeezelite page. Also allows us to add more specific card information.
  • Set --nomysqueezebox option from web interface
  • Default LMS install is 7.9.0 released verison
  • Great updates to pCP jivelite pacakge. Made possible by mherger
  • pcp Help web site pCP - Page Redirection. This is still a work in progress, where we can easily create web pages with HOTO's and other information. If you have something you would like included, creates a simple web page and let us know.
  • And last but not least, corrections to the inplace update process

Before you get to excited about the last improvement, We need to make you aware that the images for piCoreplayer 3.11 and prior used a 25MB boot partiion. With the new kernel and overlays piCoreplayer3.20 uses all but 200k (99%) of this space. piCorePlayer 3.20 images will increase to a 32MB boot partition to hopefully future proof that for a while.

The insitu upgrade will not be offered for the beta phase, but we will make it available at the time of the release. There will be a hotfix needed to make this available.....we will post that fix later.

The betas can be downloaded here.
piCorePlayer 3.20 beta.