piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you very much Greg for the advice.
I came across the following link "https://www.element14.com/community/thread/42202/l/cirrus-logic-audio-card-working-on-the-raspberry-pi-2?displayFullThread=true"
some time ago by Ragner Jensen and it crossed my mind whether a similar approach could be used to enable the Wolfson to work on the piCore.
Thank you again.

I think you will find it is too much work to do each time we change kernels in piCorePlayer. With "normal" RPi DACs, the software is just included in Raspbian and there is nothing to do. If they were really interested in this product they would invest the time to get their software included in Raspbian by default.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
19 March 2016 - piCorePlayer 2.03

Please try the new version piCorePlayer 2.03.

Great news. Paul from the Tinycore and Logitech forums has joined the team. Thanks to him, Logitech Media Server (LMS) can now be installed and run on your piCorePlayer.

This means that pCP now can be used as:
  • Standalone pCP player (as usual).
  • Standalone LMS server - it is very easy to setup a LMS server on your Raspberry Pi (RPi1 or PRi2). Simply press a button and you are done.
  • Combined LMS server and pCP player.
Changes:
  • Added Squeezelite option to change GPIO status dependent on Squeezelite status. Handy for controlling an external amplifier. "-G option".
  • Added Squeezelite option to run a script dependent upon Squeezelite status. "-S option".
  • Fixed Squeezelite U, V and v options.
  • Added support for installing LMS on piCorePlayer.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
28 March 2016 - piCorePlayer 2.04

Please try the new version piCorePlayer 2.04.

Changes:
  • Support for RPi3B.
  • Supports the onboard wifi on RPi3B. No need for external USB wifi dongle any longer (on RPi3B).
  • Update kernel to 4.1.20.
  • Updated piCore to 7.1 beta3.
  • Improved LMS/pCP control tabs.
  • A new tweak for problematic USB-DACs - might help if USB DAC looses connection after prolonged use.

Thanks for doing this!

Though LMS still not on the RPI3.. :(

Bummer. Wanted to gift an RPI3 with LMS and Squeezelite on one device. I got it working on Rasbian...LMS and Squeezelite...but not stable enough. I get freezes every now and then...and since the buddy lives 9000km away from me...and is not computer literate...I was curious when you guys will have it up and running on the pi3.

Any idea when you'll have LMS working in the raspberry pi 3?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for doing this!

Though LMS still not on the RPI3.. :(

Bummer. Wanted to gift an RPI3 with LMS and Squeezelite on one device. I got it working on Rasbian...LMS and Squeezelite...but not stable enough. I get freezes every now and then...and since the buddy lives 9000km away from me...and is not computer literate...I was curious when you guys will have it up and running on the pi3.

Any idea when you'll have LMS working in the raspberry pi 3?

hi Bas Horneman,

LMS does run on RPi3. :)

We did forget to change a warning message about the RPi3, is that what you are referring to?

regards

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Aha! Thanks so it is just a wrong warning?...will try tomorrow... :)

Yeah! We had a situation on our download page where we said "works for all versions of the RPi". Then the RPi3 was released out of the blue! A couple of people got upset that they looked at our download page, bought a RPi3 and it didn't work!!

So now we are being more specific in our messages but the reverse happens if we forget to update messages. :mad:

I could not wait...and tried it...it says I have to increase my partition..bummer...that is another learning curve...or do I need a bigger SD card? (Currently 8GB)

to be continued

Attachments

• space.png
    space.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 227
  • size.png
    size.png
    11 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I could not wait...and tried it...it says I have to increase my partition..bummer...that is another learning curve...or do I need a bigger SD card? (Currently 8GB)

Hi Bas Horneman,

Hey, using piCore we talk about MB not GB!

Standard piCorePlayer image - 75MB (that includes nearly 50% free space)
With LMS it increases to about 110MB

On the piCorePlayer Main web page, at the bottom there are mode tabs, select [Beta] mode. You should see [ Resize FS ] click that and wait a couple of minutes. When it finishes you will have your file system expanded to 100% of your SD card. You should find disk usage to be around 1%.

BTW: I was testing this morning and found the LMS downloads to be very slow today. Not sure why?

regards

It worked! LMS is now installed.
540807d1459359079-picoreplayer-picore-linux-raspberry-pi-squeezelite-lmspicore.png

But...

Since I have a usb harddisk for the music. How did you guys envisage mounting it and getting that visible on one's network. Since it is an NTFS formatted drive...I have to: " sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g" ....but that apparently does not work under picore?

So no samba share either?....

Sorry about all these questions...just doing stuff under picore is new to me. I suppose I have to go to look for picore packages?

Attachments

• lmspicore.png
    lmspicore.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It worked! LMS is now installed.
But...

Since I have a usb harddisk for the music. How did you guys envisage mounting it and getting that visible on one's network. Since it is an NTFS formatted drive...I have to: " sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g" ....but that apparently does not work under picore?

So no samba share either?....

Sorry about all these questions...just doing stuff under picore is new to me. I suppose I have to go to look for picore packages?

hi Bas Horneman,

As this is our first release of LMS on piCorePlayer it has limited hard drive/network support. In testing our USB devices just worked, so we thought it was worthwhile releasing it. Samba, NAS to come.

To load extensions in piCorePlayer from the [Main Page] click on [Extensions]

In this case the extension is called: ntfs-3g.tcz

BTW: USB devices sometimes needed a reboot to auto mount. I haven't tried NTFS formatted USB drives that I know of.

regards