OSX based active crossover with two wave I/o boards? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2015, 05:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default OSX based active crossover with two wave I/o boards?

Hello this is Daniel from germany,

i think about building a Mac based active crossover (for 2-way stereo: Left High/Low and Right High/Low).

My idea was to connect to wave I/o boards to a mac mini, so that i have four channels and go from there into a buffallo III Dac.

Anyone succeded in using two usb/i2s interfaces at the same time?

Thank you
and best regards

Daniel
Old 10th July 2015, 08:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Daniel,
You might look at How to get your player s/w to see multiple "virtual speakers" through single WaveIO to BIII DAC. The DAC should be configurable for up to 4 different L & R speakers, I think. The WaveIO just provides a digital conduit from player & OS.
Key might be to find plugins to do XO for multiple virtual speakers & a way to make aggregate device in Audio Midi Setup.
I have similar setup: Mac Mini, Audirvana+, USB WaveIO, Buffalo II.
Because I have BII rather than BIII, I can't easily do what I just suggested to you.
But I do have a spare Buffalo32 that could use Toslink, so same concept to try that you ask about; ie: getting one player to send 2 different stereo music streams to 2 digital output devices simultaneously (me WaveIO + Toslink => 2 DACs, you 2 WaveIO => single DAC).
Problem I see for your scenario is how to get single BIII DAC to take input from 2 WaveIo units at same time. Don't think so, but is Q for Russ White@ TwistedPearAudio.
Old 12th July 2015, 03:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Daniel,
I have proven that Audio Midi Setup can use Aggregate Device to send (say) L/R ch 1/2 to USB WaveIO=>BII DAC, & L/R ch 3/4 to (in my case) Toslink Optical =>B32 DAC.
However, I can't output ch 3/4 from my TV player (Eye TV). I am yet to try ch 3/4 out from Audirvana+. It that does work, I might be able to use AUparametricEQ or other plugin in Audirvana+ to send mid+treble to ch 1/2, & bass to ch 3/4.
Unless I can get Eye TV to do it as well, not worth me doing.
As stated before, I don't think 2 WaveIOs into one BIII DAC will work.
Good luck with it, though...

Hide this!Advertise here!