PC to Stereo Via Network Connection - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2015, 06:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PC to Stereo Via Network Connection

For many years I've been running the Linksys WMB54G Wireless Music Bridge from my PC in my upstairs office. It connected to my LAN via a wired network and was an excellent solution to playing my music on my whole house system.

Unfortunately, I got hit by lightning last week and it zapped the bridge.

I have been trying to research what would be the best replacement for this product, but it is very confusing and I have not found one single item that will work for me. My current PC does not have wireless connectivity and I'd like it to stay that way, but willing to listen to viable solutions that are not outrageously expensive.

Also, I'm not looking for anything with storage or playback abilities, just some way to remotely connect my PC to my stereo.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I hope I posted this in the right forum.

Thanks

Rick
Old 25th April 2015, 11:01 PM   #2
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

S/PDIF can supposedly be fed through the "video" jack of wireless A/V senders. That's probably the simplest. If the whole house thingy doesn't have S/PDIF in, there's cheap DACs on eBay for around $20 shipped.
Old 26th April 2015, 12:37 AM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There's a new one on eBay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-4-Ghz-...item4194bf6fd0

And several others here: Linksys WMB54G Wireless Music Bridge | eBay
Old 26th April 2015, 03:25 AM   #4
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

First, test with another power adapter - 12V 500mA is pretty common, maybe even your router or mini-amp / mini-dac has it.
Old 26th April 2015, 03:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your replies, but, I guess I should explain further.

During the strike I lost my sound card, PC speakers, network card, music bridge, router, and also the sound card on my wife's computer.

I've replaced everything and even found a WMB54G on ebay for about $15.00 including shipping. However, I'm having tons of trouble with it, as I can't get it recognized on the network, even though the lights are all lit and the software doesn't seem to want to install correctly (I have multiple copies on disc and on my back up drives as well). I've been through this before and I pretty much know all there is to know about getting it to work on Win 7. I have tons of notes, etc., and have done this installation a number of times, but, I can't even get into the back end of the bridge because someone changed the password. I've tried to reset, but it's not happening either.

Bottom line is, it involves way too much time and effort and I think it's time to move on from the Linksys music bridge, so, if anyone can recommend a different method or product to transmit my music from my PC to my stereo from across a long house, that would be where I want to go and I would appreciate it very much.

At this point I'm not even sure what to search for anymore, as most of my searches end up suggesting that I use my Iphone to send my music, or something equally implausible.

I thank you in advance.
Old 26th April 2015, 07:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just a thought. Western Digital "my cloud" does network streaming...

Hide this!Advertise here!