Stream-only box suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking about setting up my current box, a Foxconn "net top" with 2GB of RAM as a streaming-only server, Spotify for now, perhaps Qobus, TIDAL or other lossless service later. I have Vortexbox 2.3 installed on it and it has worked fine as a FLAC file server for a couple of years now. I attempted to get Spotify Premium to work with the Triode plug-in, but I have to admit I'm deep in the weeds; I can't even get the system to see my primary DAC, a Schitt Modi. On my iPeng app I've tried to "merge" local and mysqueezebox.com into the Modi, but the app just goes back to a normal screen w/o feedback and there is never a change, i.e., "no player found."

Spotify works no problem with Airplay, but I refuse to turn on a TV to listen to music--and I want to use the Modi DAC, not Apple TV's.

Should I explore other alternatives like Daphile? I want to stream music only. No video, no storage of music files, headless server preferable, open source and free preferable. Something not excruciating to set up would be real nice. Magic steps that make my current system work would be ideal. :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.