Pipo X7 - Anyone has tried it ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apologies if this is OT - I was looking at the Pipo X7 but opted for the Minix Neo Z64 after reading about the X7 overheating.
I've got Foobar running on the Z64 outputting DSD128 over DoP and DXD to an SMSL M8 dac without any problems at all.
From memory the X7 and Z64 have similar/same processing and RAM so I'd expect the X7 to work just as well

Hi and thanks for the info. But have you checked the T of the cpu ?
That is the acid test for reliability.
I had no clue externally of these high Ts, also because the case is completely thermally isolated from the hot parts :eek: :rolleyes: (this tells me of a bad design overall of the unit).
Thanks for the valuable information.
Regards, gino :D

P.S. i do not know if you Neo is like this one ... this is very well built.

http://techgoot.com/minix-neo-x8-h-plus-2/

But the only way to know for sure is to run the monitoring SW.
Thermal issues are decisive with these little things.

Last edited:
This review of the Z64 suggests that it has a big internal heat sink and doesn't exceed 70degrees C
Minix Neo Z64 (Windows and Android): Review | UnlockPwd

Thanks a lot again !
well i still hope to get that T after modding.
I have decided to go active ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331396825150?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

$_57.JPG

Bye, gino

Last edited:
Hi Ulf :) it is not the case that gets warm (actually the contact with the hot parts is not existing), but sadly the cpu.

you should get around 80C after a little use.
And i think 80C are a lot indeed. They shorten the cpu's life for sure.

Hi Gino,
Thanks for all information.
I have installed the HWmonitor temperature monitor and run it for 24 hours.
I played music for all day, using USB Xmos dac and I must say it is really good sound.
Watching one HD movie last night using HDMI out (Video & Audio).
The Core temperature was normal as 58-61 degrees and the max temperature has been 62-64 celsius. I live in the mediterranean and we have around 27 degrees inside today.
I noticed that my Pipo X7 has a slightly different pcb then yours, see attached picture. It is marked 20150109 and have more components, just above the battery and closed to the inductor. Maybe this is an improvement regarding temperature?
Regards, Ulf

Attachments

• Pipo x7.jpg
    Pipo x7.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 336
Hi Ulf !

i am attaching a picture of mine, it does not look very different.
Have you performed any mods on yours ?
I am waiting for some pads and heatsinks ... i am not set yet on a specific solution ... i am still thinking.
Thanks again, gino

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 360
Hi Gino, Thanks for all information.
I have installed the HWmonitor temperature monitor and run it for 24 hours.
I played music for all day, using USB Xmos dac and I must say it is really good sound.
Watching one HD movie last night using HDMI out (Video & Audio).
The Core temperature was normal as 58-61 degrees and the max temperature has been 62-64 celsius. I live in the mediterranean and we have around 27 degrees inside today.... Regards, Ulf

Hi and sorry Ulf but i have not understood if you have modded your unit or it is as stock.
In case you have modded it do you have information/advice/pictures ?
In the meantime i have tried some very small copper heatsinks on the cpu and ram (see picture attached).
I have reached easily 80 C just with the unit idling ... :eek:
Now i am waiting for some other parts more promising
I intend to test it open and then if the T stays reasonably put again the circuit in the case
Thanks again, gino

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 186
Hi just would like to add something
1) i am more and more convinced that Android OS is a joke for a pc. Like i am also convinced that OS plays a fundamental role in the overall performance (like also firmware of course). But as it is a very complex issue people spend time talking more about HW.
2) a decent processing power implies heat generation. Even the new generation of energy saving cpus tend to heat up. And so cooling systems design is fundamental.
They should pay more attention to this aspect.
Maybe the explanation is just that this cpu has been designed for mobile phone/tablet ?

To end i am quite pessimistic about the final outcome.
Anyway i will try some bigger heatsink and also the active cooling option
Have a nice day, gino

I just "discovered" the similar newer (?) Pipo X8. It is amazing what not much more than $100 ($120 seems normal for delivered to USA) can get you: similar to the X7 I guess, now with dual boot Windows 8.1 and Android. I am very tempted to get one, it seems perfect as an audio solution. I don't especially like 8.1, would love to put 7 on it, wonder if that is possible? If I don't buy one right away it is probably because I already have three laptops, one of them touch-screen, one "big" Android tablet, and three or four cheap Samsung Galaxy android phones. Any or all of those can be used for 2-channel audio, and pretty good quality too. The only "weird" thing about the X8 is that it does not have batteries. I guess no law says you could not lug a 12 V car battery along with you :)

PiPO X8 Impressions: A Dual OS PC with a Built-In Screen

Hi i have bought one and waiting to receive it
If i understand well the HW is the same as the one in the X7 with the addition of a touchscreen.
There are 2 main issue:
1) the HW is weak for demanding tasks
2) the heat is an issue in stock units.
Point 1) is what fixed what is obtainable from these units.
If the goal is playback high rez and heavy files the HW can be a bottleneck.
A more powerful HW could be required
Even streaming from Youtube is not flowing like in my better pc.
I am using the X7 now ... it is very cute and handy by the way
Thanks again, gino

Last edited:
Could one predict the CPU and I/O load based on the type of CPU?

For example, while I am not planning to buy a Pipo X8 ("today"!), for months I have been using for my "multimedia PC" (I only do audio however), a new-old-stock Dell Latitude 2120, which uses the Intel Atom dual-core N550, which had "mediocre" performance, and that was in 2010! Of course one doesn't buy an obsolete netbook at 1/3 or 1/4 of original retail with expectations of cutting-edge performance :) But it does play music OK, through a USB SPDIF interface, even with the pig iTunes. I have trialed a DSP plug-in (in Foobar 2000) and it seemed to work ok.

I guess the point is that, whatever processor the X8 uses, it probably can handle some light duty DSP ... how to tell, without actually testing one?

Hi !
i am sorry not to be able to answer your question.
On the basis of my experience this Atom based mini pc are not a valid option.
And i am abandoning them and going back to normal pc for audio.
I can say another thing ... IMHO Operating Systems are more important than HW. And win 8.1 seems to me better than 7.
And this is what i am direct to ... just a decent traditional desktop with an efficient cooling and win 8.1 and stop for ever.
As i said above i have got the feeling that 8.1 is a better O system than 7. :rolleyes:
This minipc have almost always:
1) over-heating issues
2) poor general performance
3) absolutely no possibility of upgrade
After playing with the pipo X7 i have gone back to my i5/8GB RAM/60GB SSD
Wow !!! what a difference ... :eek:
and placing it not too close to my ear the noise is more than bearable.
Life is already tough ... i do not need a pc that makes it tougher :eek:
However good luck with your project !
Kind regards,
gino

Well, a netbook is adequate for me. Since I only expect it to play and do little, if any, DSP.

Re which OS version: I used XP for years with no problems. Unlike you, I prefer Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 but mainly for familiarity with features. I know nothing of the differences in how audio is handled -- isn't Win7 very similar to Win8? The big change was from XP to Vista or ...? Our choices show that some preferences are just that -- preferences. Speaking for myself, if I never see a Vista or 8.1 again, I will not complain :)

My current "music PC" -- the Dell Latitude (should be called "Lassitude" :clown: ) 2120 is very quiet fan, unlike its predecessors.

But sure, if you plan to do heavy DSP and/or video you probably need the whole molecule and not just an Atom :rolleyes:

Well, a netbook is adequate for me. Since I only expect it to play and do little, if any, DSP.
Re which OS version: I used XP for years with no problems. Unlike you, I prefer Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 but mainly for familiarity with features. I know nothing of the differences in how audio is handled -- isn't Win7 very similar to Win8? The big change was from XP to Vista or ...? Our choices show that some preferences are just that -- preferences. Speaking for myself, if I never see a Vista or 8.1 again, I will not complain :)

Hi and thansk for the advice. Actually i am currently using win 7 also myself.
The Pipo is my first experience with 8.1 and i find its sound quite good indeed,
even just from its headphone out reading wav files from an usb stick.
It sound very musical and i associate this with the OS.
The pipo has a very poor HW and still i like its sound better than the one from my bigger pc.

My current "music PC" -- the Dell Latitude (should be called "Lassitude" :clown: ) 2120 is very quiet fan, unlike its predecessors.
But sure, if you plan to do heavy DSP and/or video you probably need the whole molecule and not just an Atom :rolleyes:

Well dsp not but video streaming yes ... i am very interested.
I see people talking more of HW than SW (and i put also bios in the software). I do not know why.:eek:
I saw on web some directions to set up a OS properly for audio purposes.
And it is an extremely complex task :(...
Thanks a lot again, gino :)

Last edited:
hit-or-miss sound quality on cheap PC's

[In Italian accent] "Whats-a you doing in Norway? If-a you name-a Gino you no Italian?" :)

Your comments about hearing good sound even through cheap hardware mirrors my own experiences. While I haven't run any technical tests, out of several PCs and Android tablets connected to a stereo via adaptor (RCA pair), most of them do sound very good. One or two laptops have hiss noise -- probably processor noise. Android tablets give good sound, but I get strange "thumps" between songs -- perhaps the OS switching something in and out. In all cases I discuss cheap hardware -- low-end Windows laptops, and generic Chinese Android tablet or ancient Samsung cell phone for $30 on Ebay :)

For the matter, I sometimes, but not always, hear some audible distortions even through good or at least mid-fi audio system. I blame a botched mp3 encoding since most of my music is from er ah um free sources :blush:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.