Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Android phone using cellular network to resolve IP Address instead of WiFi access pt

Just a heads-up for some Android users who might have a phone that automatically switches between cellular and WiFi networks for phone calls - this may cause you to be unable to access your Raspberry Pi from your phone...
NOTE: not all Android phones use WiFi for cellular calls like mine does. So, this post only applies to folks who have phones that automatically switch between WiFi and a cell phone network for calls and internet services.

-----I was able to control my RPi with moOde audio via the WiFi access point from an iPhone using Nymeria and I could access the RPi via the WiFi access point from my desktop computer using the IP address via a browser on my desktop computer. So, I knew I was setting up the WiFi access point correctly and accessing it correctly. But I had no luck connecting to the WiFi access point via my Android phone.
-----After days of banging my head against the wall (...but it feels so good when you stop...), I had an epiphany: my Android phone switches automatically between the cellular network and WiFi for both internet data and phone calls and defaults to whichever one has an internet connection.
-----Since the moOde audio WiFi access point connection that I set up had no internet connection, my phone was trying to resolve all URLs and IP addresses via the cellular network. So every time I entered the moOde audio WiFi access point IP address into the Android's browser, the phone would try to access the IP address via the cellular network and skip the moOde WiFi connection. My Android phone thought, "Hey! That's an IP address! I think I'll use the cellular network, because it has internet access and this "Moode" WiFi thing doesn't."
-----Once I turned off the cellular data / network connection on my Android phone, the phone had no option except to try the moOde audio WiFi access point. And Eureka! It worked!

So, if anyone has a phone that automatically switches back and forth between WiFi and the cellular network for data and phone calls, try turning off the cellular data or your phone might skip the moOde audio, "no internet" WiFi access point in favor of resolving the IP address over the internet that's available on the cellular network. The downside? You won't be able to make phone calls while you are using your browser on your phone to control moOde audio on your RPi...

I hope this helps someone else...I couldn't find any posts that discussed this problem exactly...

Exactly, thats why i posted a howto for absolute beginners on mo0de installation in the new forum. Including some explanations...
Check out Easy installation guide for absolute beginners
Perhaps it is unconventional but thats simply how I am doing it :)

And on this occasion A THOUSAND THANK YOUs to everybody who contributed their knowledge, time and effort to this forum! Like TheOldPresbyope and so many others! After nearly 1500 posts (and reads on my side) there is really some melancholy involved leaving this place ... ;-)

Thanks sjoerdju for the beets info... most interesting and solved a drive full of orphan rips needing artwork.. :)

I have since revisited my abcde config and setups..... The time and travails to configure for format, drive offset, artwork etc was becoming onerous with each and every os upgrade...(Ubuntu you need a rolling release ;-) )

Sooooo I downloaded and wrote to a live usb install, Daphile. (sort of MoOde for x86)
It has a ripper that is abcde base, has offset calibration, musicbrainz(s), lookup and 'accurate rip' checking all as checkbox defaults...:)

I have an old HP t5470 thin client with 2Gb ram and 2Gb flash that just fits daphile.
Add an external cd/dvd drive and configure.
An old laptop or tower would be fine and everything can run from the Daphile live usb so just plug n play for ripping duties.

All headless and independent of main o/s and Moode player. No hit to resources on those setups... ;-)

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-05-10 17-03-30.jpeg
    Screenshot from 2018-05-10 17-03-30.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,465
  • Screenshot from 2018-05-10 17-21-28.jpeg
    Screenshot from 2018-05-10 17-21-28.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,460
So, now i did some more tests and i am trying to put all information about sound quality tweaking in one place.

1. This is a must - wifi off, bt off, hdmi off, volume control off, eq off, resampling off.

2. added in /boot/config.txt :

force_turbo=1
avoid_pwm_pll=1
arm_freq=333
over_voltage=-7
core_freq=166
h264_freq=166
isp_freq=166
v3d_freq=166
gpu_freq=166
sdram_freq=166
sdram_schmoo=0x021e882c
over_voltage_sdram_p=5
over_voltage_sdram_i=3
over_voltage_sdram_c=-13
gpu_mem=16

3. added in /boot/cmdline.txt:

dwc_otg.microframe_schedule=0 dle=0 dwc_otg.nak_holdoff_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fix_enable=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N isolcpus=2,3

isolcpus is isolating two cpus only for mpd and works only on quadcore pi's

4. changed options in /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service, original value is uncommented:

#CPUSchedulingPolicy=other
CPUSchedulingPolicy=fifo

tried different, for me fifo sounds best.

#CPUSchedulingPriority=43
CPUSchedulingPriority=70

tried higher settings, but 70 is a good compromise

#Nice=-10
Nice=-15

also tried higher values, but -15 is a good compromise

#ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF
ExecStart=/usr/bin/taskset -c 2,3 /usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF

this one is starting mpd using isolated cpus and no other processes are using those cpus.

My streaming is sounding as good, as never before and now it is clear for me, that underclocking cpus and ram is really great.

Thanks to anybody, who found out, how to "audiophilise" and "de-digitituslise" moOde :)

Maybe some of those tweaks (which are not making system unstable) can be implemented in moOde?

Nice tweaks - definately a more "organic" sound, runs too slow for DSD streams though - plays about 2 seconds stops 2 seconds more stops - etc etc.

So, now i did some more tests and i am trying to put all information about sound quality tweaking in one place.

1. This is a must - wifi off, bt off, hdmi off, volume control off, eq off, resampling off.

2. added in /boot/config.txt :

force_turbo=1
avoid_pwm_pll=1
arm_freq=333
over_voltage=-7
core_freq=166
h264_freq=166
isp_freq=166
v3d_freq=166
gpu_freq=166
sdram_freq=166
sdram_schmoo=0x021e882c
over_voltage_sdram_p=5
over_voltage_sdram_i=3
over_voltage_sdram_c=-13
gpu_mem=16

3. added in /boot/cmdline.txt:

dwc_otg.microframe_schedule=0 dle=0 dwc_otg.nak_holdoff_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fix_enable=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N isolcpus=2,3

isolcpus is isolating two cpus only for mpd and works only on quadcore pi's

4. changed options in /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service, original value is uncommented:

#CPUSchedulingPolicy=other
CPUSchedulingPolicy=fifo

tried different, for me fifo sounds best.

#CPUSchedulingPriority=43
CPUSchedulingPriority=70

tried higher settings, but 70 is a good compromise

#Nice=-10
Nice=-15

also tried higher values, but -15 is a good compromise

#ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF
ExecStart=/usr/bin/taskset -c 2,3 /usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF

this one is starting mpd using isolated cpus and no other processes are using those cpus.

My streaming is sounding as good, as never before and now it is clear for me, that underclocking cpus and ram is really great.

Thanks to anybody, who found out, how to "audiophilise" and "de-digitituslise" moOde :)

Maybe some of those tweaks (which are not making system unstable) can be implemented in moOde?

hello there,
i'e applied the modifications as described here and the sound is axcellent , tahnk you very much!
one little point is when i'm playing DSF files, i sometimes have a "buffer time" , could it be due to the low frequency of the CPU ?
which parameters could i try to see if it is better, but still having the same harmony in the values?
thanks in advance!
EDIT: i didn't looked at the post just above mine, sorry for the double request ;-) but still active request ;-)

I installed Moode 4.2. It was worked, Then i want to make update in ssh and put coomand into moode that was written ,update was made but after reboot moode dont work anymore...ok display is semi white, menu and settings are visble but now database and play possibility and no local connection just trought android and IP adress.
I opened pi than password moodeadio then i wrote command line and enter after 30sec i rebooted pi...or is any other installation process.
Is any possibility to reboot to original 4.2 or i must go again trought 1.5hour procedure.
Thank you. D

Last edited: