Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Sinski

I added som hacks in config.txt, which gave a great "analog" top without any digititus. The hacks are described in this post:

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

aboe

Looking for the best possible sound quality and missing LL and RT kernel in new moode i tested few things.

1. This is a must - wifi off, bt off, hdmi off, volume control off, eq off, resampling off.

2. adding one option to /boot/config.txt

gpu_mem=16

maybe this could be set automatically, when the hdmi=off option is used ?

3. adding two options to /boot/cmdline.txt

smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N isolcpus=2,3

smsc option is standard in pcp an described here:

Raspberry Pi and realtime, low-latency audio [Linux-Sound]

isolcpus is isolating two cpus only for mpd and works only on quadcore pi's.

4. changing some options in /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service, original value is uncommented:

#CPUSchedulingPolicy=other
CPUSchedulingPolicy=fifo

tried different, for me fifo sounds best.

#CPUSchedulingPriority=43
CPUSchedulingPriority=70

tried higher settings, but 70 is a good compromise

#Nice=-10
Nice=-15

also tried higher values, but -15 is a good compromise

#ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF
ExecStart=/usr/bin/taskset -c 2,3 /usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF

this one is starting mpd using isolated cpus and no other processes are using those cpus.

Tested with Pi3B - Digi+Pro - i2s - Buffalo II with 4 hq power supplies and with Pi3B-DAC+pro with 3 hq power supplies and waves files played from 256GB pendrive.

This my subjective opinion, i was not doing any measuerement, only tests with my friends on my (good :) ) hifi system.

I tried underclocking, but maybe it has a positive effect, when there is only one power supply.

I am not yet 100% sure, if it is better, than the former moode with LL and RT kernel, there is still some kind of hard digititus, which was not present with LL kernel...

Maybe some of those options (like Nice from -10 to -20, fifo or rr, isolate 2 cpus for mpd etc) could be available in moode giving better sound for all of us :)

Tomek.

Hello, there is a new version 4.1 already without any notice in Twitter or forum. Any idea how to make in-place upgrade?

If an in-place update is available it can be found at the top of the System Config page. It's showing 'Moode Software is up to date' for me, although the Moode website does indeed show that 4.1 is available.

Last edited:
If an in-place update is available it can be found at the top of the System Config page. It's showing 'Moode Software is up to date' for me, although the Moode website does indeed show that 4.1 is available.

I wouldn't have asked if I hadn't known it, man. It isn't so easy because you have to make system update first... but how? I know somebody will tell us, I just cannot wait :)
But thanks anyway.

I'll be coming back to this tomorrow, seem to be stuck in a bit of a loop

** Write OS build directly to the boot SDCard (y/n)? y

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// STEP 1 - Writing OS directly to boot SDCard
//
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

** Do you have a backup of your boot SDCard (y/n)? y
** Enter current date (YYYY-MM-DD) 2018-04-07
** Make corrections (y/n)? y
** Enter current date (YYYY-MM-DD) (2018-04-07)
** Enter current date (YYYY-MM-DD) 2018-04-07
** Enter current date (YYYY-MM-DD)

pi3B+

Hello, there is a new version 4.1 already without any notice in Twitter or forum. Any idea how to make in-place upgrade?

How I successfully managed to update Moode 4.0 to 4.1 …
(It’s not a manual, it’s rather diary page :D) Might be useful for a noob like me.

1) I removed sd card from my Raspberry 3 Pi and put it in my laptop’s card reader.
2) After creating an empty file using text editor and naming it just “ssh” I copied it into main folder of the boot partition (on Moode sd card)
3) I placed back sd card into my Pi and connected it to my router using an appropriate cable.
3) I opened Terminal in my Linux Mint laptop and executed the following command:

sudo ssh pi@<my-moode-ip-address>

4) I had been first asked for my Linux Mint password, then for Moode password which I answered: “moodeaudio”
5) At last I executed the following command (which I obviously copied from the new Moode Forum (moOde release 4.1 , courtesy by Tim Curtis):

sudo /var/www/command/updater.sh r40a

6) I had been ask “If I have made a backup” or something like this and I answered “Yes”
(which actually was a blatant lie :mad::rofl:)
7) Because I was not successful for the first time I rebooted my Pi and repeated the steps 3 to 6 once again. The whole process took more than 2 hours. I ignored all displayed messages about rebooting because none of them was explicitly actually saying that I must do the reboot.

P.S. I was all the time worried about my bad English when writing then these words.

Hey Kent,
I had posted a while back that I was having trouble pairing via bluetooth to my Samsung G-7 and my daughters iPhone 10 to a Rpi-3B with a IQ Digiamp+ running moode 4.0. Did you have a chance to see if you could get it to pair on your end?

Hi, NuGuy Audio

Sadly, my Samsung Galaxy S5 has gone missing (that's a whole 'nuther story) so I've been unable to test against Samsung's version of Android. Bluetooth pairing has worked for me with my Nexus 6P phone, Nexus 7 and 9 tablets, and also with various BT speakers. Only my Amazon Echo continues to defy my attempts to pair.

Regards,
Kent

So, now i did some more tests and i am trying to put all information about sound quality tweaking in one place.

1. This is a must - wifi off, bt off, hdmi off, volume control off, eq off, resampling off.

2. added in /boot/config.txt :

force_turbo=1
avoid_pwm_pll=1
arm_freq=333
over_voltage=-7
core_freq=166
h264_freq=166
isp_freq=166
v3d_freq=166
gpu_freq=166
sdram_freq=166
sdram_schmoo=0x021e882c
over_voltage_sdram_p=5
over_voltage_sdram_i=3
over_voltage_sdram_c=-13
gpu_mem=16

3. added in /boot/cmdline.txt:

dwc_otg.microframe_schedule=0 dle=0 dwc_otg.nak_holdoff_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fix_enable=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N isolcpus=2,3

isolcpus is isolating two cpus only for mpd and works only on quadcore pi's

4. changed options in /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service, original value is uncommented:

#CPUSchedulingPolicy=other
CPUSchedulingPolicy=fifo

tried different, for me fifo sounds best.

#CPUSchedulingPriority=43
CPUSchedulingPriority=70

tried higher settings, but 70 is a good compromise

#Nice=-10
Nice=-15

also tried higher values, but -15 is a good compromise

#ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF
ExecStart=/usr/bin/taskset -c 2,3 /usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF

this one is starting mpd using isolated cpus and no other processes are using those cpus.

My streaming is sounding as good, as never before and now it is clear for me, that underclocking cpus and ram is really great.

Thanks to anybody, who found out, how to "audiophilise" and "de-digitituslise" moOde :)

Maybe some of those tweaks (which are not making system unstable) can be implemented in moOde?