Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

@streamerguy

Wow. This is outside my experience.

A little Internet searching tells me the "skb_over_panic" error relates to the buffers used by the kernel to manage network packets (as one might guess from the mention of dev: eth0).

I can't say what your USB DAC is doing that would cause network buffer overruns. I just downloaded the manual for the Marantz NA11S1 (what a box, by the way!). It says the interface is "USB 2.0: USB High speed/USB Audio Class V2.0" compliant. It says a driver is needed for Windows XP (no surprise) but not for MacOS. From this I infer a driver isn't needed for Linux either. However, since one controller on the RPi manages both USB and ethernet interfaces, I suppose there is the possibility of some USB incompatibility causing a problem with networking.

Searching on the next error "kernel: Internal error: Oops - BUG: 0 [#1] SMP ARM" is even less illuminating. This reminds me of my granddaughter looking innocent as she declares "something happened"! Maybe it's just an aftermath of the buffer overrun but tracing all this back to some change that took place in the Linux kernel between the releases of moOde 3.7 and moOde 4.0 is beyond my pay grade.

I suppose you could try backporting moOde 4.0 to the kernel used in 3.7. Tim can tell you if this has no chance of working.

Regards,
Kent

[added in edit]: I focused on the kernel but the two releases of moOde are also based on different releases of Raspbian.

Hi Kent,

Thanks again! I'm currently doing another test to use a wireless connection so Ethernet and USB will not interfere. Maybe that will help. I'll keep you posted.

@Tim: Do you think it is possible to use the older Jessie kernel on Moode 4.0 or even install Moode 4.0 on Jessie? Just to see if the freezes will be gone.

Thanks and regards.

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. What is the command to check the status of the install after I start the process? Thanks again!

1. Take note of @Koda59's advice above.
2. The commands for checking will be shown in the instructions along the way.

Edit: Your last post appeared while I was typing mine. If you have downloaded the image builder on Beta12 I think you will need a second microsd card to build the image on. That goes in a USB adapter.
The one-card method requires a card with a fresh install of Raspbian-Lite.

Last edited:
Cheers, thanks again. What I wanted to be a quick update during lunch will have to be a longer deal after dinner :)

Flash an SD with Raspbian Lite 2017-11-29 and copy an empty file called ssh on boot partition.
Then insert your SD in your RPI, boot it, connect in it via a ssh client.
Then type :

cd /home/pi
sudo wget -q http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/mos/mosbuild.sh -O /home/pi/mosbuild.sh
sudo chmod +x /home/pi/mosbuild.sh
sudo ./mosbuild.sh

Answer a few questions (y for the first —> direct install)

And then go watch a movie or read a book ... after that, you Moode must work.

To control, you can ssh again in your PI and control that everything was OK with mosbrief command ... you must see END ... at the end :D

Flash an SD with Raspbian Lite 2017-11-29 and copy an empty file called ssh on boot partition.
Then insert your SD in your RPI, boot it, connect in it via a ssh client.
Then type :

cd /home/pi
sudo wget -q http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/mos/mosbuild.sh -O /home/pi/mosbuild.sh
sudo chmod +x /home/pi/mosbuild.sh
sudo ./mosbuild.sh

Answer a few questions (y for the first —> direct install)

And then go watch a movie or read a book ... after that, you Moode must work.

To control, you can ssh agin in your PI and control that everything was OK with mos brief command ... you must see END ... at the end :D

Thank you Jonners & koda59 for your help and patience! I'll get around to it tonight and i'll be sure to let you know if something goes wrong :p

Hi Moshel,

Post more details about the file and also post the output from System info.

-Tim

I have posted the system info here

The file is dsd64. I have no idea how to get more information about it but its from this album

Thanks for all the great work done here! I am currently still switching between 38 and 40 and imho the advanced kernels made a huge difference. Are they going to be included?

Best regards
Moshe

Hi,

I have been following this forum since the page count was well under 1000, and with a bit of trepidation finally decided to give Moode 4.0 a go. Moode installed flawlessly, after I nutted out a problem SSH-ing into the Pi with PuTTY. I am no programmer, so was surprised how easy the install/image build was after reading some posts on this forum.

Great work Tim.

The only 'problem' I have had so far is that DSD (DSS/DSF) files play back at 100% volume, overruling the software volume control setting. Is this a known issue, or have I missed a setting. 'DSD over PCM' is set to "No".

Regards,
Simon

Hi,

I have been following this forum since the page count was well under 1000, and with a bit of trepidation finally decided to give Moode 4.0 a go. Moode installed flawlessly, after I nutted out a problem SSH-ing into the Pi with PuTTY. I am no programmer, so was surprised how easy the install/image build was after reading some posts on this forum.

Great work Tim.

The only 'problem' I have had so far is that DSD (DSS/DSF) files play back at 100% volume, overruling the software volume control setting. Is this a known issue, or have I missed a setting. 'DSD over PCM' is set to "No".

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon - From my notes:

DSD over I2S

VOLUME CONTROL

0db (100%) volume occurs if all of the settings below are true. This is because MPD software volume control has no method for DSD volume yet, only PCM.

- Software volume
- Resampling disabled
- DoP no

The workaround is to either turn on MPD resampling or use an audio device that supports Hardware volume and then set MPD volume control to Hardwire.

-Tim

gapmedia said:
Hi,

Great work Tim.

Regards,
Simon

Back in actin! Loving all of the visual tweaks and customizations. Thank you all for the help and of course to Tim and all those involved in making this happen!

It lives!

:cheers: :cool:

There is no true-DSD or DOP SW(digital) volume control. This would corrupt the DSD data stream.

This is why true-DSD or DOP streams must run at a 100% level - or you can also call it -- must run bitperfect.
Just to mention it: There's no other DSPing such as equalizer/convolver/etc. allowed for DSD due to the very same reason.

Only if DSD data gets converted to PCM prior to DA conversion volume control or DSP would work - after the DSD2PCM conversion.
There are DSD2PCM converters out there.

There are also DSD supporting Sabre DACs which allow to use on-DAC SW volume control.
However. It seems that ESS converts the DSD stream also back to PCM on their DACs,
which in turn allows SW volume control again (on-DAC only!).
It's obvious that we'd basically not talking about true-DSD DACs in case of ESS Sabres.

True DSD DACs like the ones from iFi, just do not support DSD volume control.
You'd need a preamp stage in the analog domain to do volume control.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Okay now I am confused. Even though I can download the Image Builder through Moode Beta 12 I can't run it if Moode is already built on the card? I was able to start Mosbuild.sh but after the first reboot I am lost as to what happens next.

I love using Moode but all of this complication in getting it updated makes me just want to stick with what works.

It worked for me.

Leave it after the first reboot and wait for a long time.

Phil

It worked for me.

Leave it after the first reboot and wait for a long time.

Phil

Do u mean that you upgrade beta12 to 4.0 GA via the automated script builder downloaded from UI ?

You just launched it via command line (Direct Method) and let it work over the beta12 ?

I am not really sure that everything are as it must be :/

@Tim,

What do u think about that ?

For sure, it can't work if FS was squashed for example.

Last edited:
Hi Simon - From my notes:

DSD over I2S

VOLUME CONTROL

0db (100%) volume occurs if all of the settings below are true. This is because MPD software volume control has no method for DSD volume yet, only PCM.

- Software volume
- Resampling disabled
- DoP no

The workaround is to either turn on MPD resampling or use an audio device that supports Hardware volume and then set MPD volume control to Hardwire.

-Tim

Thanks Tim. Switching on resampling fixes the 'problem'. I set the resampling to 24bit 192khz. Does this degrade the file greatly? I don't have many DSD files so it's not really a problem to turn resampling off, just have to be careful selecting music.

There is no true-DSD or DOP SW(digital) volume control. This would corrupt the DSD data stream.

This is why true-DSD or DOP streams must run at a 100% level - or you can also call it -- must run bitperfect.
Just to mention it: There's no other DSPing such as equalizer/convolver/etc. allowed for DSD due to the very same reason.

Only if DSD data gets converted to PCM prior to DA conversion volume control or DSP would work - after the DSD2PCM conversion.
There are DSD2PCM converters out there.

There are also DSD supporting Sabre DACs which allow to use on-DAC SW volume control.
However. It seems that ESS converts the DSD stream also back to PCM on their DACs,
which in turn allows SW volume control again (on-DAC only!).
It's obvious that we'd basically not talking about true-DSD DACs in case of ESS Sabres.

True DSD DACs like the ones from iFi, just do not support DSD volume control.
You'd need a preamp stage in the analog domain to do volume control.

Enjoy.

Thanks soundcheck, that is what I thought was the reason for no volume control of DSD files. However, as my SABRE ES9023 based DAC doesn't support DSD streams, and as the 'Audio information' page shows that my DSD files are being resampled to 24bit 192kHz PCM during playback I would have thought that software volume control may have worked without having to switch on resampling, as that is already occurring? Am I misunderstanding something here?

Regards,
Simon

Thanks Tim. Switching on resampling fixes the 'problem'. I set the resampling to 24bit 192khz. Does this degrade the file greatly? I don't have many DSD files so it's not really a problem to turn resampling off, just have to be careful selecting music.

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon,

Just set resampling to the wildcard rate

24 bit, * kHz

U should be all set :)

-Tim