** Proceed (y/n)? y
** Test Internet connection
** Download helper files
** Error: Unable to download Properties file
** Image build cancelled
pi@moode:~ $ ls
pi@moode:~ $

the script itself has been deleted....

What's the difference you can clearly hear?
Don't see a point in "defining" it, but since you asked, "lack of detail, as if wool was thrown over the speakers".

I have verified the hypothesis, by connecting the same music source.

ie, (MAC ITunes --> SPDIF convertor --> Amp) is sounding way better than, (MAC ITunes --> Airplay renderer (moode on RPI with Allo Digione) --> Amp)

It could be ANY config issue, so if I could be guided which log to look, that would be great.

This question is connected to Moode - but does anyone know if the metadata tagging for apple lossless files changed in recent years for albumart?

I tell you why I ask... I have a fair amount of lossless files (3TB) that have been ripped over the past seven years. I notice that when I play older stuff in Moode it doesn't show the album art under the playing tab - whereas it does for new rips or new library additions from digital downloads.

I have asked this question of Tim and he suggested that it's because I use iTunes and the albumart is actually held in a folder on my laptop and not in the actual .m4a files. However, whilst in a few cases this was true, I have now been able to prove that my .m4a files do actually contain the albumart but Moode isn't able to display it.

My testing has shown that if I just copy the physical files across to another machine which doesnt have an internet connection I can play the files and see the albumart using a number of different players, not just itunes - so for sure the image is being extracted from the .m4a file and not being gathered from elsewhere.

Also if I access the same library of .m4a files with Rune or Volumio, I see much more albumart than I do when using Moode as the player. More confusing is that when I access MPD directly on the RaspberryPi using an iPad app called Mpad then this also shows tons more albumart contained within the library of .m4a files. Bizarre!

So I am thinking, could it be that the metadata method of tagging within music files has changed in the last five or so years and Moode isn't picking up the older method?

Obviously it doesn't affect my listening pleasure other than really winding my OCD up! And its a huge task to identify the music that has no albumart showing and then go into iTunes and "re-add" it, thus updating any metadata to a compatible version. [[first world problems]]

TIA

Last edited:
ie, (MAC ITunes --> SPDIF convertor --> Amp) is sounding way better than, (MAC ITunes --> Airplay renderer (moode on RPI with Allo Digione) --> Amp)

Whilst Airplay is convenient, it pretty much consistently gives me a poorer listening experience than having Moode access the music files directly on its own. However, I notice that under 4.0.12 there are extra configuration options that may be worth experimenting with... but you probably already know that!

Last edited:
Until I can afford to buy a Naim or Linn streamer then I will just have to make do <lol> Seriously, I am going to stick with 4.0.x now I have made the jump... it could be the change of microsd card (a sandisk ultra rather than a samsung evo) but I am enjoying the faster load times for my library.

Moode is an excellent piece of software and I am amazed at what Tim is able to accomplish. It's my observation that the recent downsides have all happened because of decisions made by others... so I feel for Tim and recognise that a lot of this thread may come across as negative and certainly from my point of view I try and manage my language to not come across as an ungrateful idiot.

I what to go on record that I really appreciate and admire what Tim and his fellow techy contributors are doing.

Cheers

Last edited:
This question is connected to Moode - but does anyone know if the metadata tagging for apple lossless files changed in recent years for albumart?

I tell you why I ask... I have a fair amount of lossless files (3TB) that have been ripped over the past seven years. I notice that when I play older stuff in Moode it doesn't show the album art under the playing tab - whereas it does for new rips or new library additions from digital downloads.

I have asked this question of Tim and he suggested that it's because I use iTunes and the albumart is actually held in a folder on my laptop and not in the actual .m4a files. However, whilst in a few cases this was true, I have now been able to prove that my .m4a files do actually contain the albumart but Moode isn't able to display it.

My testing has shown that if I just copy the physical files across to another machine which doesnt have an internet connection I can play the files and see the albumart using a number of different players, not just itunes - so for sure the image is being extracted from the .m4a file and not being gathered from elsewhere.

Also if I access the same library of .m4a files with Rune or Volumio, I see much more albumart than I do when using Moode as the player. More confusing is that when I access MPD directly on the RaspberryPi using an iPad app called Mpad then this also shows tons more albumart contained within the library of .m4a files. Bizarre!

So I am thinking, could it be that the metadata method of tagging within music files has changed in the last five or so years and Moode isn't picking up the older method?

Obviously it doesn't affect my listening pleasure other than really winding my OCD up! And its a huge task to identify the music that has no albumart showing and then go into iTunes and "re-add" it, thus updating any metadata to a compatible version. [[first world problems]]

TIA

Hi,

Zip up some files that do not show cover art, email me a download link to the zip file and I'll be happy to test them.

-Tim

The single card Heeboo method worked very well for me. Loaded Raspian lite onto a brand new SD card in the RPi3. Downloaded Heeboo’s script. Said “yes” to all the options, set it running and went off to watch Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets!

Two hours later, loaded card into my RPi-Z W, configured t’ethernet and NAS, and before one could say Expelliamus it was playing music. Job done!

Okay - I will try just that.

I'm guessing that it does not matter that I'm running Raspian (as oppose to Raspian lite) when performing this correct?

Next, since I've already run the Image Loader script, does anyone see an issue with me re-running the same script now when I try to perform the same steps utilizing a microSD (in lieu of USB flash drive) in a usb-based card reader?

I have loaded raspbian on my Pi3 and everything went smoothly till the downloading of the moOde Beta image here..
** Is the USB drive plugged in (y/n)? y
** USB drive detected on /dev/sda
** Partitions unmounted on /dev/sda
** Option 1-4: use a proxy server for Internet access (y/n)? n
** Option 2-4: configure /var/www as squashfs (y/n)? y
** Option 3-4: install latest Linux Kernel (y/n)? y
** Option 4-4: MiniDLNA, Auto-shuffle, MPDAS, Airplay, Squeezelite, UPnP, Local UI, Piano Firmware
** Option 4-4: install additional components (y/n)? y
** Ready for automated image build
** Proceed (y/n)? y
I am getting an error here like "Error: Unable to detect Internet Connection"
"Image build cancelled".
But I am able to SSH using my mac to the Pi and also when I pinged on the Pi there is internet connection. What seems to be the issue?

Thanks

I’ve never used an external adapter and all my Pi3s work flawlessly.

It’s a bit of a generalisation to say ‘hat dac’ - different DAC behave differently.

Never had an issue with any IQ Audio HAT, any cheap Chinese PiDAC+ copy, but have had some issues with hifiberry.

Most/all problems seem to be DACs with reclockers, where the frequency generator interferes with the wifi signal.

The other thing to consider is that wifi ain’t wifi. I run a 750M MIMO router with multiple antennae, distributed gigabit Ethernet feeding 500M MIMO wireless APs for the more hard-to-reach parts of the Ponderosa. You won’t get the same results with the POS the ISP gave you for free.

Hey Zootalaws,
I'm not a expert on all this stuff but I would like to get the wifi speakers I built to work with Airplay so I can give each of my son in laws a set for them to use with Iphone 7. I have them working with my wife's Ipad generation 3 (old Ipad) but they will not work with Iphone 7. I running a Raspberry Pi3 with a hifi berry hat. Do you recommend changing the hats out to a IQ audio hat or do you have some tips on getting Airplay to work with hifi berry?

Could you verify with
Code:
ping http ://www.google.com
from the pi prompt.

If it's OK what about
Code:
wget http ://www.google.com
?
Did you received a file called index.HTML ?

I have loaded raspbian on my Pi3 and everything went smoothly till the downloading of the moOde Beta image here..
** Is the USB drive plugged in (y/n)? y
** USB drive detected on /dev/sda
** Partitions unmounted on /dev/sda
** Option 1-4: use a proxy server for Internet access (y/n)? n
** Option 2-4: configure /var/www as squashfs (y/n)? y
** Option 3-4: install latest Linux Kernel (y/n)? y
** Option 4-4: MiniDLNA, Auto-shuffle, MPDAS, Airplay, Squeezelite, UPnP, Local UI, Piano Firmware
** Option 4-4: install additional components (y/n)? y
** Ready for automated image build
** Proceed (y/n)? y
I am getting an error here like "Error: Unable to detect Internet Connection"
"Image build cancelled".
But I am able to SSH using my mac to the Pi and also when I pinged on the Pi there is internet connection. What seems to be the issue?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey Zootalaws,
I'm not a expert on all this stuff but I would like to get the wifi speakers I built to work with Airplay so I can give each of my son in laws a set for them to use with Iphone 7. I have them working with my wife's Ipad generation 3 (old Ipad) but they will not work with Iphone 7. I running a Raspberry Pi3 with a hifi berry hat. Do you recommend changing the hats out to a IQ audio hat or do you have some tips on getting Airplay to work with hifi berry?

I think I am on a register at Hifiberry, so I don't think I should offer any further opinion of the shoddy nature of his products, but I have used a bunch of IQ Audio HATs and they have performed admirably and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

But there are also a ton of other good HAT DAC's out there that won't try and screw around with your Wifi signal...

I built a nice pair of speakers using his Pi Digi-Amp+ which is a great little 20-30W amp and works really well with Moode. Pi-DigiAMP+ - IQaudIO Limited

If you've already made the amplification stage, then there are many choices you could make, all of them good, but bearing in mind it's an airplay solution, going mental on the 'best' DAC is probably not returning value for money. Any I2S DAC will work, it doesn't necessarily have to sit on top of the Pi -0 especlaiiy if you're mounting it inside a speaker cabinet.

I used to use cheap Chinese Pi DAC clones for my refurbished radios, but it looks like they've decided they can charge the same as top-quality European designers, so I've given up on them. The Pi-DAC Zero and Pi DAC+ from IQ are what I would choose for a straight DAC.

I'm sure others could offer you other HAT DAC recommendations.