Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

The error is because it canot find the git executable, so you should re-do Step 3 pt. 2 where you install some base apps.
Code:
sudo apt-get -y install rpi-update php-fpm nginx sqlite3 php-sqlite3 memcached php-memcache mpc \
bs2b-ladspa libbs2b0 libasound2-plugin-equal telnet automake sysstat squashfs-tools tcpdump shellinabox \
samba smbclient udisks-glue ntfs-3g exfat-fuse git inotify-tools libav-tools

keep the back slashes in there otherwise it will stop after the first line.

Paul
Cheers - Need to stay focused, don't I?

Hey Tim,
Very interesting !

Do you mean that you don’t have any dropout listening Music from your ios device on Pi0W using only integrated Wifi and Bluetooth ?

I can confirm that you really can’t do that on pi3 so i need to buy a 0w soon :D

Hi,

I'm using Edimax 7811Un Wifi adapter on Pi-3 and the inctegrated Wifi adapter on Pi-0W and Bluetooth works perfectly from my IOS devices.

I've read that BT may not work so well using the integrated Pi-3 Wifi adapter.

-Tim

Last edited:
Hey Tim,
Very interesting !

Do you mean that you don’t have any dropout listening Music from your ios device on Pi0W using only integrated Wifi and Bluetooth ?

I can confirm that you really can’t do that on pi3 so i need to buy a 0w soon :D

Indeed its true, no dropouts whatsoever! I've been listening all morning to Apple Music over BT using an iPad Mini and Pi0W with IQaudIO Pi-DACZero.

You might want to try an Edimax 7811Un for your Pi3. I've used this same adapter for years on all my Pi1/2/3's and its really solid.

Another thing to try is to run btmon and see if the capture shows anything suspicious when dropouts occur.

-Tim

If you use wifi and Bluetooth on the Pi3, they are using the same comms processor, the same attenuators and the same antenna on the 2.4GHz band.

Bluetooth uses spread-spectrum frequency-hopping, but you can still get interference from such things as: 2.4GHz wifi, fluorescent tubes, other BT devices like mice and keyboards, headphones and remote controls - even the kitchen microwave.

I haven’t run BT on Moode yet, but have had no problem with BT on a Pi3 with Jessie or Stretch talking to my IPad and an external BT transceiver connected to my CNC router and 3D printer.

Like anything, if your wireless implementation isn’t optimum, it can have a knock on effect to all your devices on the 2.4GHz bands.

The Pi W has a much more sophisticated antenna than the simple chip dipole on the 3

Last edited:
Hi Gary, whhat makes that a “safe shutdown method”? The listing describes it as a car ignition switch with power supply. Not much information to go on. What does it do, other than supply the two USB ports from the 12v circuit?

You basically connect one lead to "alltime" 12 volts and another to a switched 12 volt source. There are 2 leads that connect to the RPI gpio ports and when the ignition is switched off, there is a script that runs to do a safe shutdown instead of just abruptly killing the power to the Pi. Pretty handy device for RPI mobile use.

You basically connect one lead to "alltime" 12 volts and another to a switched 12 volt source. There are 2 leads that connect to the RPI gpio ports and when the ignition is switched off, there is a script that runs to do a safe shutdown instead of just abruptly killing the power to the Pi. Pretty handy device for RPI mobile use.

So for the rare case of having a Pi hard-wired into a vehicle, not really mobile use, then?

So for the rare case of having a Pi hard-wired into a vehicle, not really mobile use, then?

Yeah....mobile, meaning "in vehicle use". I come from a ham radio background where mobile is normally referred to as a radio used in a vehicle, but I guess today with "mobile phones", mobile could be used as "portable".

My plans are to eventually use a Pi and hopefully Moode as an in-car mp3 player.

Hi Tim,

Built Beta 9 based on recipe 1.9
I installed everything on the menu, including optional ones like latest Kernel and gmusicapi as per the recipe.

Worked perfectly except for one glitch: UPnP was not working.
Even though I had toggled it to active on the configuration GUI, it was not showing up in my Lumin app. I checked in systemctl list-units and true enough only upmpdcli was showing loaded - failed - failed.

The only thing different I can think of as compared to wen I built Beta 8 with recipe 1.6 was that I had installed gmusicapi after upmpdcli.

Anyway, I then reinstalled upmpdcli and after reboot it worked right away.

To fully validate it I should have tested UPnP before installing gmusicapi, but what is done is done. Wondering of others have experienced the same.

Hi,

Can someone tell me what I need to do to use Tidal after enabling UPnP renderer and entering Tidal credentials?

You need a UPNP control point app running on your phone and/or tablet/computer.

For Android this means something like one of the two Bubble UPNP applications or Linn Kazoo.

For iOS you need Linn Kazoo or Luminous.

( Skip this if know the apps)
For example in BubbleUnpn if you select the menu Now Playing you get a menu. In that menu you should get a section called Renderer and One called library.

Renderer
This is the bit that plays the music, the first time you run Bubble it will probably have the Renderer set to Local Render, select the down arrow and a list of discovered UPNP output devices. You should be able to see Moode UPNP here.

Library
Again the first time you run Bubble the library will be set to Local and Cloud. In the list of Libraries you should see Moode UPNP-mediaserver, select this.

In the Library screen you should be able to navigate Tidal as a series of folders at the top of the screen. Play from here.

As an aside, for me Bubbleds and Kazoo are my choices on Android as they support the Radio features of the UPNP renderer in Moode. The normal BubbleUnpn is more feature rich with its support for Echo , the features appear in BubbleDS later.

Regards

Hi,

Some screen shots of the new "Players" feature :)

I'm using avahi to discover other moOde players on the network and then getting each players ip address to form the connecting url.

This should make it easy to connect to other moOde players when using Smartphone, Tablet and locally attached screen.

-Tim

Hi,Tim
I’m now using version 3.84, would you please tell me how to install version 4.0? Sorry that I can’t find anything usefull to help me own. The file ‘setup.txt’ contained in the package ‘r40b9.zip’ maybe is still for the previous version?
I’m looking forward to your reply. Thanks a lot.

Hi Tim,

Built Beta 9 based on recipe 1.9
I installed everything on the menu, including optional ones like latest Kernel and gmusicapi as per the recipe.

Worked perfectly except for one glitch: UPnP was not working.
Even though I had toggled it to active on the configuration GUI, it was not showing up in my Lumin app. I checked in systemctl list-units and true enough only upmpdcli was showing loaded - failed - failed.

The only thing different I can think of as compared to wen I built Beta 8 with recipe 1.6 was that I had installed gmusicapi after upmpdcli.

Anyway, I then reinstalled upmpdcli and after reboot it worked right away.

To fully validate it I should have tested UPnP before installing gmusicapi, but what is done is done. Wondering of others have experienced the same.

@goldhorse

I didn't experience this problem here. As it happens, I just built a fresh copy of r40b9 following every step of build recipe v1.9 except squashing the file system. Functionally this should be the same as your copy. Built it on an RPi3B and running it on an RPi2B/HiFiBerry DAC+. I see upmpdcli.service running.

Just to confirm, I ran UPnP Scanner on my Android tablet. It discovers both "Moode Red UPNP" and "Moode Red DLNA" on the network. ("Moode Red" is the name I gave this particular moOde Player instance). They appear to be publishing all the necessary UPnP/AV services.

I'm listening to a TIDAL stream right now using BubbleUPnP on the tablet as my control point and moOde as my "library". e.g., proxy media server for TIDAL.

Regards,
Kent