Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Second, what do people use on iOS for controlling moOde

On my iPad, I use the Safari browser to open moOde (I use fixed IP addresses), then “add to home screen”. This gives me an “app” on the iPad screen (actually, I’ve got four buttons, one for each of my four streamers). My wife has a similar arrangement on her Android tablet.

Last edited:
Hi @JohnW,

I truly appreciate your respect for moOde License :) however I'd suggest that your strategy of shipping one vendors audio software pre-installed on your turnkey device and at the same time telling your customers that they can simply switch to their favorite other Linux audio player is a bit odd.

(1) The software that you ship with your device sends a message to your customers that you believe enough in that particular software to invest the time and effort to bundle it with your device.

(2) Customers that purchase turnkey devices generally are not the type of user that starts installing whole new Linux software players on their device.

For sure 95% of customers will not experiment with there product - and these customers will not visit Forums where discussions about uploading different software is discussed. There is going to be no public announcement outside enthusiast forums that uploading different software is possible.

Being an engineer at heart, I so no reason why we should offer a closed platform especially in this case where the heart of the design is RPi based, all-be-it an industrial CM3 module.

There are keen enthusiast who are looking for a High Quality Audio hardware platform interfaced to a Linux system so they can develop there own systems and software - so why prevent them from doing this? I'm happy my designs have sold - and I'm also happy to support those who would like to experiment and develop the platform further.

Its sad that we now live in a world where hardware has become "closed" black boxes - where has the enthusiastic spirit gone?

Especially CM based devices which can Brick if the image installation goes south.

The CM3 cannot be bricked - the BCM2837 will try to access the primary eMMC interface. It will then look for a file called bootcode.bin on the primary partition to start booting the system. If it cannot access the eMMC memory or the boot code cannot be found, it will fall back to waiting for boot code to be written over USB; in other words, its USB port is in slave mode waiting to accept boot code from an external USB host.

We have used a small external "watchdog" MCU to configure the relevant CM3 Boot / RST I/O pins to insure external software upload to the eMMC is possible with blank / bricked CM3's - this MCU also handles standby power switching / Front panel interfacing (Leds and power buttons / rear "Boot Flash button") etc.

I now have the strongest feeling that you are not very keen in supporting "my" potential customers who wish to remain loyal to moOde, so I think its time to put my hands up in the air and say to them if asked, "Well I did try for you".... :(

Last edited:
Hi,

Our audio experience can be enjoyed and easily controlled from our Smartphones, Tablets, or other computer devices. Thats how most moOde users including myself interact with moOde.

Whats driving the need in your particular case for local display of UI?

-Tim

The supplied software solution allows all mentioned options + external HDMI large panel TV monitor with wireless keyboard / trackpad for those who like myself feel more comfortable working with a larger screen and larger keyboard - being in retirement, I'm not one too comfortable with smartphones and all this new age tech...

When I'm at home listening to Music, the last thing I want next to me or in my hand is the "Evil" phone with all the problems it brings me - that's what I'm trying to get away from when enjoying Music!

For sure 95% of customers will not experiment with there product - and these customers will not visit Forums where discussions about uploading different software is discussed. There is going to be no public announcement outside enthusiast forums that uploading different software is possible.

Being an engineer at heart, I so no reason why we should offer a closed platform especially in this case where the heart of the design is RPi based, all-be-it an industrial CM3 module.

There are keen enthusiast who are looking for a High Quality Audio hardware platform interfaced to a Linux system so they can develop there own systems and software - so why prevent them from doing this? I'm happy my designs have sold - and I'm also happy to support those who would like to experiment and develop the platform further.

Its sad that we now live in a world where hardware has become "closed" black boxes - where has the enthusiastic spirit gone?

The CM3 cannot be bricked - the BCM2837 will try to access the primary eMMC interface. It will then look for a file called bootcode.bin on the primary partition to start booting the system. If it cannot access the eMMC memory or the boot code cannot be found, it will fall back to waiting for boot code to be written over USB; in other words, its USB port is in slave mode waiting to accept boot code from an external USB host.

We have used a small external "watchdog" MCU to configure the relevant CM3 Boot / RST I/O pins to insure external software upload to the eMMC is possible with blank / bricked CM3's - this MCU also handles standby power switching / Front panel interfacing (Leds and power buttons / rear "Boot Flash button") etc.

I now have the strongest feeling that you are not very keen in supporting "my" potential customers who wish to remain loyal to moOde, so I think its time to put my hands up in the air and say to them if asked, "Well I did try for you".... :(

Hi,

If your goal is to obtain support for your audio device in moOde software then simply contact me directly as do all the other audio manufactureres. My email address is publicly available at moodeaudio.org in the Support section.

A few anonyous forum posts without any details isn't really going to accomplish much. For example what company do you represent, links to product web pages, etc. The basics.

-Tim

The supplied software solution allows all mentioned options + external HDMI large panel TV monitor with wireless keyboard / trackpad for those who like myself feel more comfortable working with a larger screen and larger keyboard - being in retirement, I'm not one too comfortable with smartphones and all this new age tech...

When I'm at home listening to Music, the last thing I want next to me or in my hand is the "Evil" phone with all the problems it brings me - that's what I'm trying to get away from when enjoying Music!

lol, I've never plugged a display or keyboard into a Raspberry Pi, ever.

On my iPad, I use the Safari browser to open moOde (I use fixed IP addresses), then “add to home screen”. This gives me an “app” on the iPad screen (actually, I’ve got four buttons, one for each of my four streamers). My wife has a similar arrangement on her Android tablet.

Hi,

Yes, this works beautifully. I think Chrome has a similar feature that can save Browser as an app.

-Tim

Hi,

From a long ago suggestion, something to make it easier to access all the configs :)

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r40b6-speed-btns.png
    moode-r40b6-speed-btns.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 285
A few anonymous forum posts without any details isn't really going to accomplish much. For example what company do you represent, links to product web pages, etc. The basics.

-Tim

Anonymous? Oh, sorry, I'd never considered that (being a long time DiyAudio member) and I also use my real name here - John Westlake :)

As it happens, HiFi Choice (UK magazine) have a "Meet the Designer" article on me" in this month's" November issue....

All my "personal" details are in diyAudio member details page.

Companies I'm currently work with:- Audiolab, Pro-Ject, Quad and my own small retirement venture that I guess would be most interested in offering moOde support on (to name a few)...

Initially, I just wanted some basic information about moOde on CM3 - I didn't feel it deserved a convoluted introduction and getting ahead of one's self - I'm really not sure how we got to this stage.

It now appears I've sidetracked your thread for too long... I'll leave it to the users to follow through with moOde as seems sadly its we have got off too a very bad start.

Last edited:
Thanx Phil!

The new 320K URL works;-) JB Radio 2 is reborn:)

Unfortunately the flac stream couldn't be implemented in MoOde for some reason. But maybe Tim wants to put that on his to do list. With Archphile it's working- so it should be possible.

Greetingz, Robert

The FLAC stream is playing via Moode as I type this., using the url I posted earlier.

No track info displayed, alas.

Phil

Hi,

Just tested the flac stream and can confirm there is no embedded metadata, but unless my eyes deceive me, they are putting out a 16/192K stream. Thats around 6 mbps :-0. Someone is getting pretty creative over there at JB Radio!

I'l include both the 320K lossy and 192K lossless in moOde 4.

-Tim

pi@rp3:~ $ telnet localhost 6600
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
OK MPD 0.20.0
currentsong
file: http: //209.126.66.166:10999/flac
Name: JB Radio-2
Pos: 129
Id: 130
OK
status
volume: 18
repeat: 0
random: 0
single: 0
consume: 0
playlist: 13
playlistlength: 130
mixrampdb: 0.000000
state: play
song: 129
songid: 130
time: 111:0
elapsed: 110.538
bitrate: 0
audio: 192000:16:2
OK

What LCD are you using ? 16x2.... 20x4..... or graphical.... ?

I am using a 16x2 LCD, and it is operating as described here.

One this I've now noticed this morning is my Library doesn't work, and neither does browsing to my NAS. After clicking on my NAS it seems to crash MPD and just show a blank screen.

Library shows Error, Module, artist: 0,1,2,3,4,etc and Undefined under tracks. It seems to crash something MPD related as my LCD crashes aswell.

:irked:

This is a great tip - thanks. It makes it easy for my wife to access Moode on her iPad.

And to Tim Curtis, thanks again for Moode - I love it for the great SQ, interface and sheer convenience when coupled with the RPi. Well worth the $10. Keep it up!

Regards, Rob

I use my MoodePlayer in the garden and around the house. If put far away from my indoor router the raspberry is disconnected and Moode becomes unavailable. Would it be possible to set two or more wifi credentials to choose from or Moode will fallback to default and I could login with AP mode and set an other wifi myself?
greetz
LOng

I use my MoodePlayer in the garden and around the house. If put far away from my indoor router the raspberry is disconnected and Moode becomes unavailable. Would it be possible to set two or more wifi credentials to choose from or Moode will fallback to default and I could login with AP mode and set an other wifi myself?
greetz
LOng

Why do you have different credentials?

Wifi can easily be configured to have multiple APs with the same SSID and password.

I just moved from a farm, we had four wireless routers all on the same network, with the same SSID and password, which meant for seamless transitions across five acres. For the more distant sheds we had multiple routers - one to make the WDS connection, one to create a local AP with the same credentials as the main router. I just bought a bunch of cheap second hand routers for $10-20 each.

There’s only really one rule for multiple routers with the same SSID - make adjacent routers use a different channel. So if you have three routers across a wide area, use channels 1-9-1 where 9 is your main, the two 1s are far enough apart from each other that they don’t interfere. If they will, use 1-9-13, for example. Your device will automatically step across APS to the strongest signal.

If you do t want to adopt this approach and are happy reinstalling and reconfiguring every network in a list for each new Moode update, you can install wicd-curses, which will manage multiple networks for you.

sudo apt-get install wicd-curses

You will need to look up the wiki for how to run wicd-curses, but it’s pretty straightforward: sudo wicd-curses will run it and it’s fairly self-explanatory.

There is also the other option - get a decent router that handles N750/N1200 with MIMO... it should cover all but the biggest home lots, even if your house is brick or steel-framed. Such a router these days is only $100-150 and will improve all your networking.

Your ISP gives you the cheapest unit it can legally get away with, usually.

Last edited: