Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Mike,

My response was just a generic example of one aspect of Licensing. First and foremost both parties need to come to an agreement and there is no guarantee that will happen. For example the Licensor may for any reason not grant the license requestor permission, or the requestor may not want to agree to the terms. Generally. agreements that are mutually beneficial will happen :)

There is also the scenario where the other party chooses to violate the License, usually to avoid terms that require paying the License holder a fee.

There is nothing new about moOde licensing. Its a license model thats as old as the hills. The proprietary parts of moOde are subject to the Moode License terms. The Open Source parts are covered by the GPL.

-Tim

Sorry, I thought I was reiterating and supporting your post, not disagreeing - two countries separated by a common language o.0

I agree, nothing unusual in your license at all, generous to a fault :)

Yep, that would be the way forward. The codec and the driver needs to be
patched. These are minor patches. I've done both. Only the codec patch got released so far though.
As I said. Hifiberry wasn't capable of reliably go >192k for all their models from what's been communicated over here in the past.
384k support rather sneaked in by coincidence!
Not sure, if they're willing to take the risk by introducing these patches! They might face numerous complaints.

Good luck with HifiBerry. ;)

However.

If you seriously intend to listen to DSD/DOP material at quality levels,
I'm not really sure if these entry-level HifiBerry devices are the right choice!

Thanks, Klaus, for your valued input. It seems you have done a lot of work on this, much respect.

Daniel at Hifiberry responded very quickly to my request and said he will look into patching the driver, so we will see what repercussions follow from that.

I would prefer to listen to my SACDs on my quality multichannel SACD player but my little boy tends to treat the shiny discs as toys:) The RPi running Moode has allowed me to hide things away and now I only have to worry about him wanting to grab the mobile phone while I'm lining up some tracks to play . . .

I also have a USB DAC that handles DoP and I have that connected at the moment, so I'm not too inconvenienced. It's a Topping D30 based on an XMOS/CS4398 implementation.

Which brings me to a request to our illustrious leader: Tim, are you able to add a profile for the D30 to the DAC list, please?

Thanks,
Richard

Thanks, Klaus, for your valued input. It seems you have done a lot of work on this, much respect.

Daniel at Hifiberry responded very quickly to my request and said he will look into patching the driver, so we will see what repercussions follow from that.

I would prefer to listen to my SACDs on my quality multichannel SACD player but my little boy tends to treat the shiny discs as toys:) The RPi running Moode has allowed me to hide things away and now I only have to worry about him wanting to grab the mobile phone while I'm lining up some tracks to play . . .

I also have a USB DAC that handles DoP and I have that connected at the moment, so I'm not too inconvenienced. It's a Topping D30 based on an XMOS/CS4398 implementation.

Which brings me to a request to our illustrious leader: Tim, are you able to add a profile for the D30 to the DAC list, please?

Thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard,

Sure, I can add that :)

-Tim

Is it possible to have a "Bit Perfect" button ?

With one mouse click it will be possible to turn off Volume control, Resampling, Volume normalization, Replaygain, EQ, Crossfeed and Crossfade. ;)

It is not much work to make your player bitperfect. And don’t you fiddle around until the sound is what you like?
Maybe a bitperfect indicator would be even nicer?

Oh, yes "bit perfect" indicator ( :) or :mad: ) with information "baloon" showing what should be turned off to reach it.

Hi,

It's an interesting idea. I'll have a look.

One challenge is that its not possible to know ahead of time whether the bit-depth and sample rate being sent to the audio device will actually be accepted by the device. For example MPD/ALSA may zero-pad the bit-depth or resample the rate to values the audio device accepts.

-Tim

Last edited:
Hi,

It's an interesting idea. I'll have a look.

One challenge is that its not possible to know ahead of time whether the bit-depth and sample rate being sent to the audio device will actually be accepted by the device. For example MPD/ALSA may zero-pad the bit-depth or resample the rate to values the audio device accepts.

-Tim

If checking in real time is complicated, than maybe it is easier to create one wave test file, which can bu used to check if the actual moOde configuration is bit perfect ?

Ok - I'm really liking this! I've learned how to SSH over to the Pi running moOde, and I found the "currentsong.txt" file and have started a python script to read it and display on an LCD.

I've also seen that the MOODE appears in window explorer so I can transfer files to it (music etc).

My question is - where should I put my python file for the moOde "LCD update engine" and how do I call out that path?? (I know where to *enter* the path in moOde - just don't know the syntax)

Last edited:
Hi,

Provide details regarding your symptom "dlna renderer does not work" for example logs showing errors, etc.

-Tim

The symptom is that when I attempt to play music using Musicbee and the UPnP renderer (upmpdcli), the music sometimes does not start (probability>90%).
The music can be sought after occurring the problem and clicking the seek bar many times.
In summary, it seems that commands from MusicBee sometimes does not recognize properly in upmpdcli.

I'm sorry that this problem results from MusicBee, upmpdcli or other programs.

I would like to submit relevant logs; what kind of logs do you need?
moode.log or upmpdcli.log?

Hi @estshorter,

The symptom "the music sometimes does not start (probability>90%)" suggests a problem external to moOde for example the MusicBee app UPnP control point, the source of the song files (a DLNA server?), a network issue etc. I would examining the MusicBee logs and then post to the MusicBee forums.

-Tim

Thank you for your quick reply.
But the UPnP plugin for MusicBee is not maintained anymore as shown in the following URL.
UPnP/ DLNA device support

So, I will use a MPD client instead of MusicBee.

Thank you again!