Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

If there's a Raspbian driver for it, sure.

Are you anticipating shifting a huge amount of data? Because that's the only reason I can see for using something other than the inbuilt Ethernet NIC - unless you're using a Zero, in which case 100BT is probably all the poor little bugger can handle.

And, every time you reimage a system, you will have to ensure the driver is loaded, if t isn't available in the kernel.

Last edited:
This may not be the correct place for this, but I'll ask anyway... I'm using an RPi 3B, powered with an RPi wall-wart PSU and Allo Kali powered by Ifi iPower and Piano 2.1 DAC. I'm wondering if a linear PSU for the Kali/DAC will provide any noticable improvement in SQ and if so, what should I go for (given that my DIY skills are OK up to point of plugging boards together/getting software running and not soldering? What are you guys using?

Hi All!

Just wanted to add a line in /boot/config.txt in order to disable Pi3's Bluetooth part of the WIFI/BT implementation. I entered the distro via putty-ssh. When I tried storing the change I unfortunately got a 'permission denied'- message. So I assume, that the 'pi' login instead of 'root' is responsible for that fact. Is there a simple way to succeed in this case?

Thanx, Robert

@Zootalaws
@Serverbaboon

It's all I can do to keep from chiming in on the networking discussion to show I have some considerable networking chops of my own at every level in the stack from bare wire/radio to API and have configured and run every networking service at one time or another.

But really, guys, this isn't the point. I'm trying to test moOde 4.0b1 "as if" I know sod all about the technology. A newbie expects to plug it in and listen to the music. If there's a feature offered in the configuration panels, I'm going to punch it to see what happens. I'll grant the need on the part of the user for some basic computer literacy and the ability to find and read "how to's" on the Internet (not to mention Tim's Setup Guide!).

But I do love the tech-head discussion:)

Regards,
Kent

Hi All!

Just wanted to add a line in /boot/config.txt in order to disable Pi3's Bluetooth part of the WIFI/BT implementation. I entered the distro via putty-ssh. When I tried storing the change I unfortunately got a 'permission denied'- message. So I assume, that the 'pi' login instead of 'root' is responsible for that fact. Is there a simple way to succeed in this case?

Thanx, Robert

Hi, Robert.

Yes, if you're logged into moodeOS, you'll need to modify files in /boot as superuser (aka root).

e.g.,

Code:
:~ $ sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Regards,
Kent

Further to the above rant, is one of you android users willing to try a change to your router to solve the mDNS issue with Android devices?

It seems that mDNS is supported in the various flavours of Android OS, but they have hard-coded 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google's DNS servers) and ignore any local DNS your router supplies with the DHCP lease.

So, your device is capable of resolving mDNS addresses (.local, .station, etc) if the query actually got to your local DNS server.

You could manually enter your local DNS address on your phone, but that is both a short-term fix and causes problems when you leave your local wifi. A better solution is to redirect requests to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to your local DNS.

If you're willing to try, let me know what make and model of router and I will tell you how to accomplish the hack.

@Zootalaws

The DNS service on my SO's router (from her ISP, Verizon) maps unqualified hostnames into its own domain .fios-router.home so with a few extra finger presses Android is happy. Not as clean as your hack but less likely to frighten the horses.

Regards,
Kent

@TheOldPresbyope

Will do some packet captures tonight to make sure but I think part of the issue is how the playback panel PHP code decides whether it calls uplexplorer or not.

The last time I looked if the artist/Title was blank in the MPD current track status then the playback panel classed it as a Radio stream and did not call upexplorer.

Interesting observation but moOde is displaying artist/Title while playing Tidal streams proxied by BubbleUPnP. If currentsong.txt is enabled, I see the same phenomenon I reported for upexplorer, namely with moOde 3.8.4, the coverurl line contains a single URL entry, with moOde 4.0b1, the coverurl line contains a list of two (identical) URLs.

If lists are legit, then an easy fix is to take the first item and ignore the rest.
Checking proxying through Bubble of my Qobuz subscription and two artwork urls are returned because it looks like Bubble publishes two different artwork size options (for Qobuz at least). I wonder if the earlier version only got the first. I will email the upmpdcli developer and ask.
That agrees with my mental conjecture about a UPnP media server possibly returning a collection (list) of artwork URLs.
However I take your point about significant others, my wife refuses to acknowledge any interface, web or otherwise if its not the Sonos client and has demanded a STOP button, a Radio Paradise button and a nice nicer box. :(
As if this were our only bone of contention;)

Regards,
Kent

Last edited:
This may not be the correct place for this, but I'll ask anyway... I'm using an RPi 3B, powered with an RPi wall-wart PSU and Allo Kali powered by Ifi iPower and Piano 2.1 DAC. I'm wondering if a linear PSU for the Kali/DAC will provide any noticable improvement in SQ and if so, what should I go for (given that my DIY skills are OK up to point of plugging boards together/getting software running and not soldering? What are you guys using?

Some people think the iFi is at least as good as a linear supply there, so you might do better to spend your money on an isolator.
The sound does improve if you supply the DAC and Kali separately, though this entails a mod - described by Greg Stewart in the 'New Dac for RPi' thread. Soldering required though!

Last edited:
I would suggest you try powering the RPi3 with the iFi power supply and the Kali and Piano DAC with the RPi wall-wart and listen for a change in the sound...

Will be able to advise from there.

Hi,
I just updated to 3.8.4a and wifi was not more working.

In system info, I got:
20170914 040913 worker: wlan0 exists
20170914 040913 worker: wlan0 trying SSID (Livebox-xxxx)
20170914 040913 worker: wlan0 wait 1 for address
20170914 040913 worker: wlan0 wait 2 for address
20170914 040913 worker: wlan0 wait 3 for address

investigating /etc/network/interfaces, i found:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-power off
wpa-ssid "Livebox-xxxx"
wpa-psk "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Changing "wireless-power off" to "wireless-power on" seems to fix the problem.
Was I the only one that got this bug?

Some people think the iFi is at least as good as a linear supply there, so you might do better to spend your money on an isolator.
The sound does improve if you supply the DAC and Kali separately, though this entails a mod - described by Greg Stewart in the 'New Dac for RPi' thread. Soldering required though!

Jonners, could you point me in the direction of the thread about powering the Kali/Piano separately as I'm struggling to find it? When you say 'Isolator' are you talking about something like the Allo Isolator board? Is there value in running this in addition to the Kali?

Jonners, could you point me in the direction of the thread about powering the Kali/Piano separately as I'm struggling to find it? When you say 'Isolator' are you talking about something like the Allo Isolator board? Is there value in running this in addition to the Kali?

Yes the Allo Isolator also helps.
The thread is here: New DAC for RPI with subwoofer out (2.1 or 2.2)
Since your questions are not specifically related to Moode it might be better to continue discussions there.

I've been using MoOde now for a few weeks and love it. One technical point I'm not to sure of is, if I use the software volume control does it bit strip. It's not a deal breaker as I am extremely happy with MoOde on so many levels and have the Volume control disabled but I would like to know.

Hi,

MPD's Software and Hardware volume control settings provide digital volume attenuation. The Software setting uses MPD's internal 32-bit float + dither, volume control routine. The Hardware setting results in MPD using the audio device's on-chip or on-board volume controller. AFAIK, these controllers are often basic 20 or 24 bit integer bacause they have limited compute resources. The exception might be the 32-bit float volume controller on ESS chips but unfortunately its not accessible on Linux due to ESS prohibition on Open Source drivers for their on-chip DSP functions.

Both Digital and Analog volume attenuation result in noise being added to the signal. Making the noise inaudible relative to the signal is one of the primary goals of HQ volume control. ESS has an interesting presentation on how their digital volume control works.
https://downloads.artsexcellence.nl/brochures/ESS-digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf

Generally if you are going to use digital volume control then its best to also have a downstream analog or digital volume control so you can calibrate the entire system for lowest noise when attenuating volume. Below is how I do it with moOde and my Yamaha studio monitor system.

Assume MPD set to either Software or Hardware volume control

1) Set downstream analog or digital volume control to 0 (no volume output)
2) Set moOde volume to 100% (0dB)
3) Play a track that represents music that you typically listen to
4) Raise the downstream analog volume to the loudest level you would ever listen at

This generally results in a configuration where noise is inaudible when attenuating volume.

Btw, the calibration procedure is not exclusive to digital volume, it generally applies when using two analog volume controls for example one on an audio player and another downstream on a pre or amp.

-Tim

ESS volume control

Hi Tim - "The exception might be the 32-bit float volume controller on ESS chips but unfortunately its not accessible on Linux due to ESS prohibition on Open Source drivers for their on-chip DSP functions"

For interest - on one of the cheap Chinese boards sold on eBay:

ES9028Q2M ES9028 I2S Input Decode Board DAC amplifier DIY DSD IIS-32bit 384K | eBay

there is already an MCU fitted (ST's STM 8S103F3) programmed to allow access to some of the es9028 internal hardware functions (volume etc). I've soldered tact switches onto the lands already on the board and this allows the hardware volume control to be used. I think the other land allows other stuff like switching i2s input etc but I havn't played with that yet. It would be nice to work out if that volume control can be accessed and controlled using the browser volume control in Moode on the Pi..... Adrian