Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Let me start by saying that Moode Audio 3.8.2 works very well, and music fidelity continues to improve. However, I have an infrequent problem that I have not been able to resolve.

Equipment & Software:
ASUS RT-AC68U router updated with latest firmware from ASUS
RPI’s 2&3, HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, DAC+, DAC+ Pro. All RPI’s located 10-15 ft from router.
Various RPi power supplies, various wifi USB adapters.
Moode Audio 3.8.2, LL-kernel, performance, TS
Music source: USB-attached HD, or occasionally internet radio. RPi is left on continuously. Attached to a stereo system that is not left on continuously.
Lately running 3 RPi’s concurrently to try and diagnose/solve the problem.

Symptoms of Problem:
After turning the RPI’s on, the IP’s are visible and everything seems to work as it should. After a period of days (2 to 20), I suddenly am not able to see the IP of a specific RPi. The problem RPI’s IP is not visible using the router’s software (on a Windows 10 computer); also, not visible using an android phone app that scans my wifi network. Within the router’s software, I enabled the IP and device MAC address to be bound, so IP’s are not changing during months/years. Without a functioning IP, I am not able to communicate with the problem RPi. Powering the RPi off/on brings the RPi back to normal operating condition with its previously defined IP.
Because the problem is intermittent on such a long time-frame (and my network skills are limited), I have been unable to crack this nut. If a playlist of music from the local USB is selected and looped continuously, the music will play when the RPi’s IP is no longer visible. In addition, I discovered that an RPi whose IP is no longer visible will also continue to play an internet radio station if that was the prior music selection. So, the RPi is still communicating with the internet through the router, but the RPI’s IP is not visible to me.

I don’t think that Moode software is the problem, but it is one of the few common factors when this problem develops. As I see it, the common factors are:
• The router
• The RPi (this IP problem has never occurred with Windows computers, android phones, android tablets, or printers operating wirelessly on the same network)
• Moode software (also noteworthy, this problem has been present when using many previous versions of Moode. I don’t know exactly what version I was using when I recognized that the problem existed.)

With so many hardware & software options/settings, I was hoping to get some advice from this group in case anyone has seen this problem before, or can diagnose from the behavior that I described. It’s frustrating because I am so close to having a very satisfying and reliable music delivery system.

Thanks Tim for all that you do.

Let me start by saying that Moode Audio 3.8.2 works very well, and music fidelity continues to improve. However, I have an infrequent problem that I have not been able to resolve.

Equipment & Software:
ASUS RT-AC68U router updated with latest firmware from ASUS
RPI’s 2&3, HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, DAC+, DAC+ Pro. All RPI’s located 10-15 ft from router.
Various RPi power supplies, various wifi USB adapters.
Moode Audio 3.8.2, LL-kernel, performance, TS
Music source: USB-attached HD, or occasionally internet radio. RPi is left on continuously. Attached to a stereo system that is not left on continuously.
Lately running 3 RPi’s concurrently to try and diagnose/solve the problem.

Symptoms of Problem:
After turning the RPI’s on, the IP’s are visible and everything seems to work as it should. After a period of days (2 to 20), I suddenly am not able to see the IP of a specific RPi. The problem RPI’s IP is not visible using the router’s software (on a Windows 10 computer); also, not visible using an android phone app that scans my wifi network. Within the router’s software, I enabled the IP and device MAC address to be bound, so IP’s are not changing during months/years. Without a functioning IP, I am not able to communicate with the problem RPi. Powering the RPi off/on brings the RPi back to normal operating condition with its previously defined IP.
Because the problem is intermittent on such a long time-frame (and my network skills are limited), I have been unable to crack this nut. If a playlist of music from the local USB is selected and looped continuously, the music will play when the RPi’s IP is no longer visible. In addition, I discovered that an RPi whose IP is no longer visible will also continue to play an internet radio station if that was the prior music selection. So, the RPi is still communicating with the internet through the router, but the RPI’s IP is not visible to me.

I don’t think that Moode software is the problem, but it is one of the few common factors when this problem develops. As I see it, the common factors are:
• The router
• The RPi (this IP problem has never occurred with Windows computers, android phones, android tablets, or printers operating wirelessly on the same network)
• Moode software (also noteworthy, this problem has been present when using many previous versions of Moode. I don’t know exactly what version I was using when I recognized that the problem existed.)

With so many hardware & software options/settings, I was hoping to get some advice from this group in case anyone has seen this problem before, or can diagnose from the behavior that I described. It’s frustrating because I am so close to having a very satisfying and reliable music delivery system.

Thanks Tim for all that you do.

Hi,

Couple of things to check:

1) Hifiberry DAC+Pro has a hardware issue whereby its oscillators (clocks) emit RF that interferes with the WiFi signal on Pi3 integrated WiFi-BT adapter and also IME, USB WiFi adapters. Contact Hifiberry for support. Refer to issue #1588
WLAN driver not working correctly when using HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro * Issue #1588 * raspberrypi/linux * GitHub

2) The Digi+ Pro also uses twin oscillators so maybe it also has the RFI problem. I don't know for sure.

3) Examine Router logs for anything suspicious that correlates to the dropped IP addresses.

-Tim

Hi tgraan:

I had the same problem running on a RPi 3 using the onboard WiFi or a WiFi adapter directly attached to the unit. Everything was enclosed in a metal case. Once I connected a WiFi adapter to a powered USB hub that was located outside the metal case I never had the problem again.

I agree it's a weird problem. Music keeps playing but you can't get to the unit. Only a reboot resolves it for a brief amount of time.

Your system may not be configured as mine but thought I'd share.

HTH,
Marc

Hi,

Couple of things to check:

1) Hifiberry DAC+Pro has a hardware issue whereby its oscillators (clocks) emit RF that interferes with the WiFi signal on Pi3 integrated WiFi-BT adapter and also IME, USB WiFi adapters. Contact Hifiberry for support. Refer to issue #1588
WLAN driver not working correctly when using HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro * Issue #1588 * raspberrypi/linux * GitHub

2) The Digi+ Pro also uses twin oscillators so maybe it also has the RFI problem. I don't know for sure.

3) Examine Router logs for anything suspicious that correlates to the dropped IP addresses.

-Tim
Tim...
Yes, you identified another common factor: HifiBerry HATs. I will follow up with HiFiBerry support, but I will also describe my setup in more detail which will explain why I don't think it is the answer

1. Player#1 = RPi3 & Digi+ Pro. On-board wifi-BT is turned off, and external USB wifi adapter in use. No known interferences with this hardware configuration.

2. Player#2 = RPi2 & DAC+ Pro. No on-board wifi, and external USB wifi adapter in use. No known interferences with this hardware configuration.

3. Player#3 = RPi2 & DAC+. No on-board wifi, and external USB wifi adapter in use. No known interferences with this hardware configuration.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Bob,

Default is 3 iterations in the loop with 3 sec delay between each iteration which yields up to 9 secs. You can either bump the number of iterations for example $i <= 6, or increase the delay for example usleep(6000000);

-Tim

Progress! I tried first one then the other then both together to no avail.
So went off exploring other combinations of Ui shutdown, reboot, and cli shutdown, reboot methods.

So if a running moode is rebooted using the UI or sudo reboot then the autostart for radio streams and local files works.

If a running moode is shutdown using the UI then the autostart for radio streams and local files works once restarted..

If a running moode is shutdown using sudo halt or sudo shutdown -h now then the autostart of webstreams fails on restarting moode.

Would I be right in thinking that moode has a shutdown that writes a saved state of the playing file/stream and that simple cli shutdowns don't include this ?

If so then all I need is the full cli shutdown command so I can include it in my Lirc configuration and all should be solved....;-)

Last edited:
Ok, thanks Tim.
Appreciate the help, think I have enough to go and play some more...:D

If I get anywhere I will report back.
It's no show-stopper as the stream can be restarted by selecting the appropriate station on the remote button.
Autostart is just a nice to have feature, and I am so used to it.

cheers,
Bob.

Hi,

First of all, I work in IT but am fairly new to the world of RPi audio and it's been interesting so far. Thanks to Tim and everyone who's contributed to an excellent product :)

I'm running Moode 3.8.1 (real time kernel) with an RPi 3B and either of the follow HAT setups:

Hifiberry DAC+Pro
Allo Kali/Piano 2.1

The RPi is connected to my home network using a TP-Link Powerline adapter. Music is flac from a Synology NAS. All works fine with higher resolution music, but with 16bit/44.1khz tracks I experience frequent 'drop outs' where audio output stops for a few seconds. The track is still playing, but there is no audio output. This always resolves itself, but is quite frustrating as the majority of my music is in 16bit/44.1khz format. This usually occurs several times per album, but often a couple of times within one track. The issue occurs with either of the HAT DAC setups. I don't believe this is bandwidth related as the higher resolution music plays back fine.

Are there any particular recommended settings for the 2x HAT DAC's I have and what is the best way to go about troubleshooting this?

Hi,

First of all, I work in IT but am fairly new to the world of RPi audio and it's been interesting so far. Thanks to Tim and everyone who's contributed to an excellent product :)

I'm running Moode 3.8.1 (real time kernel) with an RPi 3B and either of the follow HAT setups:

Hifiberry DAC+Pro
Allo Kali/Piano 2.1

The RPi is connected to my home network using a TP-Link Powerline adapter. Music is flac from a Synology NAS. All works fine with higher resolution music, but with 16bit/44.1khz tracks I experience frequent 'drop outs' where audio output stops for a few seconds. The track is still playing, but there is no audio output. This always resolves itself, but is quite frustrating as the majority of my music is in 16bit/44.1khz format. This usually occurs several times per album, but often a couple of times within one track. The issue occurs with either of the HAT DAC setups. I don't believe this is bandwidth related as the higher resolution music plays back fine.

Are there any particular recommended settings for the 2x HAT DAC's I have and what is the best way to go about troubleshooting this?

Have you tried running the file from an attached USB device rather than the powerline LAN? If so, what was the result?

Hi, and thank you yet again for a great update (3.8.2).

As a Piano2.1/Kali user, II was wondering if the MPD hardware control could be coupled to the Airplay volume controls ? If I understand correctly, the HW volume control of the PCM chip can only be accessed by MPD. Am I right in thinking that ?
Thanks again.
All the best

I am probably the only one here who is still on 3.7?
I went through the previous 5-6 pages, but could not make up my mind to upgrade to 3.8.x yet.

I do not wish to setup Mo0de again from scratch. Hope to find some steps to backup configuration (WiFi, network, NAS and radio stations) before I can re-image the SD card.
Using Allo BOSS, is there going to be any audio quality improvements if I upgrade?

One issue I have noticed is that quite often when my wife tries to connect to Mo0de via Chrome on her S7 Edge, Mo0de web server actually crashes and the music also stops playing. I have to pull the plug and restart teh Pi3.

This does not happen if I connect through my other phones or tablets.

Tim...
Yes, you identified another common factor: HifiBerry HATs. I will follow up with HiFiBerry support, but I will also describe my setup in more detail which will explain why I don't think it is the answer

1. Player#1 = RPi3 & Digi+ Pro. On-board wifi-BT is turned off, and external USB wifi adapter in use. No known interferences with this hardware configuration.

2. Player#2 = RPi2 & DAC+ Pro. No on-board wifi, and external USB wifi adapter in use. No known interferences with this hardware configuration.

3. Player#3 = RPi2 & DAC+. No on-board wifi, and external USB wifi adapter in use. No known interferences with this hardware configuration.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

A DAC+Pro that I had tested a while back would occasionally kill the WiFi signal from attached USB Edimax WiFi adapter.

I think Hifiberry has a new hardware revision of the Pro that uses oscillators that don't interfere with 2.4 Gig WiFi band.

-Tim

Ok, thanks Tim.
Appreciate the help, think I have enough to go and play some more...:D

If I get anywhere I will report back.
It's no show-stopper as the stream can be restarted by selecting the appropriate station on the remote button.
Autostart is just a nice to have feature, and I am so used to it.

cheers,
Bob.

Hi Bob,

Take a look at /var/www/command/restart.sh. This is what moOde uses for Shutdown and Reboot from the UI. In this script, MPD is sent a stop command which causes it to save its state file. The state file would contain the a reference to the last track that was played.

-Tim

Hi, and thank you yet again for a great update (3.8.2).

As a Piano2.1/Kali user, II was wondering if the MPD hardware control could be coupled to the Airplay volume controls ? If I understand correctly, the HW volume control of the PCM chip can only be accessed by MPD. Am I right in thinking that ?
Thanks again.
All the best

Hi,

In Airplay config screen set Volume control to Auto. This will result in Airplay receiver using the audio devices hardware volume controller if one is present.

-Tim

Hi Hifix,

to me, it seems, 3.8.2. does the best job concerning sq. This may be due to the newest kernel, but I dont know really. What is better? Stage, resolution, precision and agility. I´m using Rpi3 with Allo Boss and iFi iPower. Sox Upsample to 32bit 384 khz, advanced rt-kernel, cpu-governor on demand, FiFo.

Enjoy

Luki

Hi Hifix,

to me, it seems, 3.8.2. does the best job concerning sq. This may be due to the newest kernel, but I dont know really. What is better? Stage, resolution, precision and agility. I´m using Rpi3 with Allo Boss and iFi iPower. Sox Upsample to 32bit 384 khz, advanced rt-kernel, cpu-governor on demand, FiFo.

Enjoy

Luki

1+
same impressions here (Piano2.1/Kali)

@Tim
thanks for the feedback, works fine :)

Last edited:
Hi Hifix,

Enjoy

Luki

Even the lowly pi zero w with a PHAT DAC sounds great with similar settings (no upsampling ) . Tried an A to B comparison of some tracks on Marantz CD6004 CD player and FLACs ripped from the same physical CDs streamed from NAS using MoOde 3.8.2 and it was hard to tell the difference between them.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited: