Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

For some reason the auto-shuffle function doesnt work for me? do I need special settings besides the one in audio config/mpd/auto-shuffle ? Can I activate this function without any music in the playback list?
My music is on a usb connected harddisk and the mp3 shows up in the browse and library taps. (last verion of moode audio)
Thanks,

Hi,

After turning Auto-shuffle on, click the Random Play button on the Playback panel.

Initially:

If nothing is currently playing, a new track should be added to the Playlist. If a track is currently playing, then when it finishes, a new track should be added. If a radio station is currently playing then stop playback and turn off/on Random Play. A new track should be added.

Afterwords:

When the Audio-shuffle added track finishes it will be removed and a new track will be added. The Playlist never grows :)

-Tim

Hi All,

And thanks again Tim, moode 3.6 sounding good!

About to implement a few zones of audio in a friends house - looking at Airplay 2. Any thoughts about whether using several Pi's running moode will be a good way to go to get sync throughout the house if the user wants all zones playing the same tunes?

Apparently Airplay 2 will have an open API so I presume it will show up in moode pretty soon? Tim?

regards

Stuart

oh and just to push the boat out... I currently have Alexa controlling the basics of my moode player... play / pause etc. And if I spent time I could choose radio stations but am way of selecting songs from a big library....

Don't suppose anyone's thought of Alexa controlling their moode setup yet?

Stu

Sorry for the delay but was having trouble with an SD card that would not overwrite but did not cause a winimage failure.

Below are the steps I used with a brand new 3.7 image.

@Serverbaboon

It's unlikely I'll be using upmpdcli any time soon, but you get a big +1 for posting such clear instructions for those who will.

There's one point which I think might be confusing for some folks. The Wiki software which supports these diyaudio forums has gratuitously modified the presentation of the upmpdcli.list contents because it detected the URLs.

Right now, it reads
Code:
deb [url=http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie/]Index of /upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie[/url] unstable main
deb-src [url=http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie/]Index of /upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie[/url] unstable main

Granted, the underlying links are correct, but some may be tempted to cut and paste or to type these lines literally.

The two lines in question should read (where the asterisks must be deleted; e.g., h*ttp => http)
Code:
deb h*ttp://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie/  unstable main
deb-src h*ttp://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie/ unstable main

I've struggled and failed in the past to create literal strings out of URLs in this forum. You'd think it would be a no-brainer but alas not.

Regards,
Kent

Hi All,

And thanks again Tim, moode 3.6 sounding good!

About to implement a few zones of audio in a friends house - looking at Airplay 2. Any thoughts about whether using several Pi's running moode will be a good way to go to get sync throughout the house if the user wants all zones playing the same tunes?

Apparently Airplay 2 will have an open API so I presume it will show up in moode pretty soon? Tim?

regards

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Current Airplay receiver in moOde supports multi-room sync audio. I've used it with iTunes and it works well.

The dev for shairport-sync would need to integrate Airplay 2 functionality before I could make use of it in moOde.
GitHub - mikebrady/shairport-sync: AirPlay audio player. Shairport Sync adds multi-room capability with Audio Synchronisation

-Tim

oh and just to push the boat out... I currently have Alexa controlling the basics of my moode player... play / pause etc. And if I spent time I could choose radio stations but am way of selecting songs from a big library....

Stu

Thought of, sure. Done it, no, or at least not yet. So many projects, so little time:rolleyes:

Are you running Alexa software on your MoOde Player or on some other device? The former is easier but I lean toward the latter both because I already have and use an Amazon Echo and because I like playing with distributed systems.

Regards,
Kent

Stu

I have not tried it with moode, but I have found when music is playing from another device e.g. moode, you really have to get close to Alexa or shout to get it to carry out your commands.

Just getting to turn off the lights I find a challenge (another gadget with no lights off sleep timer).

Hi,

After turning Auto-shuffle on, click the Random Play button on the Playback panel.

Initially:

If nothing is currently playing, a new track should be added to the Playlist. If a track is currently playing, then when it finishes, a new track should be added. If a radio station is currently playing then stop playback and turn off/on Random Play. A new track should be added.

Afterwords:

When the Audio-shuffle added track finishes it will be removed and a new track will be added. The Playlist never grows :)

-Tim

Nope nothing, same as ever.
The only thing I can think of is that I thrown away the default playlist because this was comming up all the time with radio stations I was not interested in....could this be something....And the save of playlists is broken too...because if I save one song under let say ''test" this playlist is saved, but only shown after refreshing the browse panel by clicking one of the other options, like radio and back again. I just saw that the song is showed at clicking at the test name and not on the three dot line icon........
thanks,

Great, I will pursue my plans to put multiple moode systems into the house then - thanks Tim - I gotta feeling Airplay 2 will breathe new life into it also with regards to clients pushing music up to moode based systems

@theoldpresbyope .... I have an instance of openhab2 running ... this allows me to turn on/off amps etc and basic controls of moode (well MPD) actually. Once openhab understands a device then Alexa can be assigned a key word for it

Hapy to share more details with anyone interested

I have not tried it with moode, but I have found when music is playing from another device e.g. moode, you really have to get close to Alexa or shout to get it to carry out your commands.

Just getting to turn off the lights I find a challenge (another gadget with no lights off sleep timer).

@IM35461 I am surprised both when Alexa doesn't recognize I'm talking directly to "her" and when she overhears something I was saying to someone else. Fun and games!

As for the lights, depending on their inteface this could be an easy job for either "If This Then That" (ifttt.com) or openhab2.

@surfstu I haven't played with openhab2. Thanks for pointing it out.

And now, let us return to MoOde Player topics.

Regards,
Kent

I have been playing with my LCD displays again, still alas using some code written for another product (don't tell them).
The display I thought was defective is indeed okay and it seems when powered up coming up with two of the four rows on solid is not unusual.

Thus I have moved my first display on to my real Moode unit (my test one has no audio devices in use).

It seems to works other than the back-light stays on all the time (it does support being turned off).

I have also ordered an IR receiver and remote plus some buttons to see if the other features work.

I have attached with luck some more pictures and a rough list of commands to install the code.

I also am expecting a 2 line OLED display to play with.

Attachments

• LCD Installation V1.1.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 2017-07-25 13.22.38.jpg
    2017-07-25 13.22.38.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 403
  • 2017-07-25 16.23.29.jpg
    2017-07-25 16.23.29.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 395
  • 2017-07-25 16.23.41.jpg
    2017-07-25 16.23.41.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 374
  • 2017-07-25 16.23.54.jpg
    2017-07-25 16.23.54.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 368
  • 2017-07-25 16.24.06.jpg
    2017-07-25 16.24.06.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 361
  • 2017-07-25 16.26.27.jpg
    2017-07-25 16.26.27.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 97
@Serverbaboon

It's unlikely I'll be using upmpdcli any time soon, but you get a big +1 for posting such clear instructions for those who will.

There's one point which I think might be confusing for some folks. The Wiki software which supports these diyaudio forums has gratuitously modified the presentation of the upmpdcli.list contents because it detected the URLs.

Right now, it reads
Code:
deb [url=http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie/]Index of /upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie[/url] unstable main
deb-src [url=http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie/]Index of /upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie[/url] unstable main

Granted, the underlying links are correct, but some may be tempted to cut and paste or to type these lines literally.

The two lines in question should read (where the asterisks must be deleted; e.g., h*ttp => http)
Code:
deb h*ttp://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie/  unstable main
deb-src h*ttp://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie/ unstable main

I've struggled and failed in the past to create literal strings out of URLs in this forum. You'd think it would be a no-brainer but alas not.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks, spotted the Radio URL but not that,. Will look at how to fix that.

I have been playing with my LCD displays again, still alas using some code written for another product (don't tell them).
The display I thought was defective is indeed okay and it seems when powered up coming up with two of the four rows on solid is not unusual.

Thus I have moved my first display on to my real Moode unit (my test one has no audio devices in use).

It seems to works other than the back-light stays on all the time (it does support being turned off).

I have also ordered an IR receiver and remote plus some buttons to see if the other features work.

I have attached with luck some more pictures and a rough list of commands to install the code.

I also am expecting a 2 line OLED display to play with.

@IM35461

Looks like you have things well in hand (and thanks for the pix).

I know OLED displays are supposed to be brighter and have higher contrast ratios compared to LCD, but I personally would want the larger 20x4 format. It'll be interesting to see if you can squeeze enough info into a 16x2 format (maybe alternate between screen fills, like my car radio does, or perhaps use scrolling lines?).

Regards,
Kent

@TheOldPresbyope

Fumbled a way round it and managed to produce the below:

Sorry for the delay but was having trouble with an SD card that would not overwrite but did not cause a winimage failure.

Below are the steps I used with a brand new 3.7 image.

from an SSH session (I use Putty)

enter
Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/upmpdcli.list
Enter the below two lines:

Code:
deb http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie/ unstable main
deb-src http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie/ unstable main

Save (Control + X) and exit.

Import the Private Keys, enter (copy and paste) the lines one at a time, sometimes the imports fail

Code:
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-key '4C6E 80B6 374D CD5F 53AB 706A 32D9 C2A8 35ED 066C'
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-key 'F8E3 3472 5692 2A8A E767 605B 7808 CE96 D38B 9201'

gpg --export '32D9C2A835ED066C' | sudo apt-key add -
gpg --export '7808CE96D38B9201' | sudo apt-key add -

No we can update, enter the commands below one at a time, when prompted do not overwrite the current upmpdcli config file.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install upmpdcli

You should get something like this:

Code:
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libjsoncpp0 libmicrohttpd10 libupnpp3
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libjsoncpp0 libmicrohttpd10 libupnpp3
The following packages will be upgraded:
  upmpdcli
1 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 206 not upgraded.
Need to get 644 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,561 kB of additional disk space will be used.

If you want to use the OHRadio features to play Radio through BubbleDS or Kazoo you need to install python requests.
Enter the below.

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-requests

You should get something like this:
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  python-chardet python-ndg-httpsclient python-openssl python-pkg-resources python-pyasn1 python-six python-support python-urllib3
Suggested packages:
  python-openssl-doc python-openssl-dbg python-distribute python-distribute-doc doc-base
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  python-chardet python-ndg-httpsclient python-openssl python-pkg-resources python-pyasn1 python-requests python-six python-support python-urllib3
0 upgraded, 9 newly installed, 0 to remove and 206 not upgraded.
Need to get 621 kB of archives.
After this operation, 2,507 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Depending upon which streaming service you are using you will need one of the below commands. NB If you want to use google there are a couple of extra packages, see the links at the bottom.

Code:
sudo apt-get install upmpdcli-qobuz
sudo apt-get install upmpdcli-gmusic
sudo apt-get install upmpdcli-tidal

If you want to test the Radio feature then you can enter the below details for Radio Paradise.

Code:
sudo nano upmpdcli.conf

Add the below lines to the file at the bottom and save and exit.

Code:
[radio Radio Paradise]
url = http://37.130.228.60:8014
artUrl = http://static.radio.net/images/broadcasts/d5/23/1885/c175.png

Restart the upmpdcli service
Code:
sudo service upmpdcli restart

NB In BubbleDS you need to select the source as Radio before trying to play a radio station, or it will fail. Selecting the station again also work. The issue seems to be around switching sources.

The above was constructed from the below urls:

Upmpdcli downloads

File integrity and signatures for www.lesbonscomptes.com

Upmpdcli

Hi Tim and everyone, I have been using v3.1 for a while and purchased v3.7 just now. Here are my gears:

1. Raspberry Pi B (Very Old)
2. Audio-gd NFB10-SE DAC with USB-32 USB interface (VIA VT1731)
3. Music stored in USB stick (WAV, FLAC, APE, MP3...)

In both versions, the playback has short and infrequent zip/zap sound in every file type and every bit rate, a bit like playing vinyl record. I don't know if it is called 'glitches'. USB (UAC2) fix is ON. This problem exists even playing online radio and therefore I think there is a compatibility problem.

I changed USB cable, USB stick, SD Card and even borrowed RPi 3 for testing, Still no improvement.

Any suggestion will be welcomed, thank you.