Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

I'm new to Moode since yesterday ;)

But I have problems settings up my the NAS on my PI 3.
It seems to be the same problem described here: Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I didn't find the solution in the following posts.

In the browse panel there's no music shown. Since I made a clean install I need to update the mpd database (via button in music config), otherwise the NAS und USB section are not shown in the browse panel.
For testing I used an USB stick with music, this one was shown and it worked.
I checked the mpd links via ssh to the NAs, they are there.

Does somebody has an idea, how to get it workling?

Beside that I have another question, is there an option for automatic play when restarting?

THX for helping

Why do you need it to shutdown? Isn't it sufficient for it to stop playing? More than once in this forum, it's been pointed out that the RPi can be left on all the time. In my area, the going rate for electricity is 13cents/kWh so an RPi/DAC drawing 10w (2a at 5v) for a year costs me US $12. YMMV.

Regards,
Kent

It was suggested to set it to shutdown as an option to overcome the lack of a sleep timer option (the only feature really missing for me).

Also as suggested, I am using the Clock Radio option which works, but like an antique wind up alarm, every morning you have to disable it (or music starts playing in the evening) and then at night set the time you want the music to stop. Hard Work :)

Hi,

I'm new to Moode since yesterday ;)

But I have problems settings up my the NAS on my PI 3.
It seems to be the same problem described here: Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I didn't find the solution in the following posts.

In the browse panel there's no music shown. Since I made a clean install I need to update the mpd database (via button in music config), otherwise the NAS und USB section are not shown in the browse panel.
For testing I used an USB stick with music, this one was shown and it worked.
I checked the mpd links via ssh to the NAs, they are there.

Does somebody has an idea, how to get it workling?

Beside that I have another question, is there an option for automatic play when restarting?

THX for helping

Hi,

Audio config, Autoplay after start.

What model NAS?
SMB/CIFS or NFS?
Any errors in /var/log/mpd/mpd.log?

-Tim

Help!
I am trying to add a 20x4 LCD and so many threads and places say it is so easy and scripts can be downloaded from everywhere.

That's the problem, so many options and none seem to give all the instructions needed.

I followed the instructions at Using An I2C Enabled LCD Screen With The Raspberry Pi

And other than my one is designed to operate on 5v with no extra interface board and has a different address

I2C_ADDR = 0x3f # I2C device address
LCD_WIDTH = 20 # Maximum characters per line

It works.

I have tried downloading various python packages including that moment add on (for the time from what I can find), but only files for a non I2C oled.

Does a list of instructions (in one place) exist telling you how to get the display to work including the path to put for "LCD update engine"

Thanking all you experts in advance for any help.

One, maybe two last questions, is it best to use a display that needs many connections or a I2C one?

Can there data clash with data going to the DAC module?

Hi, just a brief update on moOde 3.8.

The excellent 4.9.38 LL and RT Advanced Audio kernels from Soundcheck are integrated and working great. These kernels include some nice new capabilities:

- 384 kHz output for Piano 2.1 Dual-Mono and Dual-Stereo modes.
- USB audio driver for M2Tech hiFace DAC's

Full MPD Hardware volume control for Piano 2.1 Dual modes whereby the two internal HW volume controllers act as one.

moodeOS 3.0 built from most recent J-Lite 2017-07-05 release.

More to come :)

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r38-audioinfo-piano384.png
    moode-r38-audioinfo-piano384.png
    224.8 KB · Views: 278
It was suggested to set it to shutdown as an option to overcome the lack of a sleep timer option (the only feature really missing for me).

Also as suggested, I am using the Clock Radio option which works, but like an antique wind up alarm, every morning you have to disable it (or music starts playing in the evening) and then at night set the time you want the music to stop. Hard Work :)

I agree, of course...it's just a hack:rolleyes:

Actually, I'd like to conduct a one-question consumer questionnaire here.

Would you prefer a sleep timer which
  1. stops the music at a preset time (like the existing clock radio does), or which
  2. stops the music after a preset interval (like the typical timer function on a TV does)?

I ask because I've finished implementing a type-1 sleep timer as a homework assignment to be sure I understood some of the moving parts of MoOde Player. Originally, I thought this would be just my first step in implementing a type-2 sleep timer.

Since then, I've realized both that I prefer a type-1 timer myself and that a type-2 timer takes more code if it is to work correctly. It can be done but I'm no longer sure it should be done.

Regards,
Kent

Hi, to be honest, Type 2

With my old SlimDevices gadget, at bedtime I just pressed play to wake it up, and once the drives had spun up it would resume playback.

I would then press the sleep button three times for 45 minutes and by then I would normally be asleep.

I never go to bed at exactly the same time thus Option 2 would be better for me. :)

I agree, of course...it's just a hack:rolleyes:

Actually, I'd like to conduct a one-question consumer questionnaire here.

Would you prefer a sleep timer which
  1. stops the music at a preset time (like the existing clock radio does), or which
  2. stops the music after a preset interval (like the typical timer function on a TV does)?

I ask because I've finished implementing a type-1 sleep timer as a homework assignment to be sure I understood some of the moving parts of MoOde Player. Originally, I thought this would be just my first step in implementing a type-2 sleep timer.

Since then, I've realized both that I prefer a type-1 timer myself and that a type-2 timer takes more code if it is to work correctly. It can be done but I'm no longer sure it should be done.

Regards,
Kent

Ok both these support OHRadio.

Always have been a big fan of Bubble DS however the support of OHRadio is very basic and does not support dynamic artwork (needs scripting skills) for radio streams so I have switched to Kazoo.

I will try and sort this out this weekend bu I will need to create a new install as mine has been messed around quite a bit.

Which streaming service are you interested in?

Sorry for the delay but was having trouble with an SD card that would not overwrite but did not cause a winimage failure.

Below are the steps I used with a brand new 3.7 image.

from an SSH session (I use Putty)

enter
Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/upmpdcli.list
Enter the below two lines:

Code:
deb [url=http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie/]Index of /upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie[/url] unstable main
deb-src [url=http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie/]Index of /upmpdcli/downloads/raspbian-jessie[/url] unstable main

Save (Control + X) and exit.

Import the Private Keys, enter (copy and paste) the lines one at a time, sometimes the imports fail

Code:
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-key '4C6E 80B6 374D CD5F 53AB 706A 32D9 C2A8 35ED 066C'
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-key 'F8E3 3472 5692 2A8A E767 605B 7808 CE96 D38B 9201'

gpg --export '32D9C2A835ED066C' | sudo apt-key add -
gpg --export '7808CE96D38B9201' | sudo apt-key add -

No we can update, enter the commands below one at a time, when prompted do not overwrite the current upmpdcli config file.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install upmpdcli

You should get something like this:

Code:
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libjsoncpp0 libmicrohttpd10 libupnpp3
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libjsoncpp0 libmicrohttpd10 libupnpp3
The following packages will be upgraded:
  upmpdcli
1 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 206 not upgraded.
Need to get 644 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,561 kB of additional disk space will be used.

If you want to use the OHRadio features to play Radio through BubbleDS or Kazoo you need to install python requests.
Enter the below.

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-requests

You should get something like this:
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  python-chardet python-ndg-httpsclient python-openssl python-pkg-resources python-pyasn1 python-six python-support python-urllib3
Suggested packages:
  python-openssl-doc python-openssl-dbg python-distribute python-distribute-doc doc-base
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  python-chardet python-ndg-httpsclient python-openssl python-pkg-resources python-pyasn1 python-requests python-six python-support python-urllib3
0 upgraded, 9 newly installed, 0 to remove and 206 not upgraded.
Need to get 621 kB of archives.
After this operation, 2,507 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Depending upon which streaming service you are using you will need one of the below commands. NB If you want to use google there are a couple of extra packages, see the links at the bottom.

Code:
sudo apt-get install upmpdcli-qobuz
sudo apt-get install upmpdcli-gmusic
sudo apt-get install upmpdcli-tidal

If you want to test the Radio feature then you can enter the below details for Radio Paradise.

Code:
sudo nano upmpdcli.conf

Add the below lines to the file at the bottom and save and exit.

Code:
[radio Radio Paradise]
url = [url]http://37.130.228.60:8014[/url]
artUrl = [url]http://static.radio.net/images/broadcasts/d5/23/1885/c175.png[/url]

Restart the upmpdcli service
Code:
sudo service upmpdcli restart

NB In BubbleDS you need to select the source as Radio before trying to play a radio station, or it will fail. Selecting the station again also work. The issue seems to be around switching sources.

The above was constructed from the below urls:

Upmpdcli downloads

http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/pages/signatures.html

http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/upmpdcli-manual.html#UPMPDCLI-MS-STR

Just installed 3.7

I just wanted to check in to Thank Tim. I decided to gamble the $10, Despite my wife still being sore at me for spending too many $$ to re-build my old Conrad Johnson PV-5< as Runeaudio was not really panning out all that well. I have a Piano 2.1 and realized 3.7 doesn't directly support it yet. It got Moode running without grief and my wife likes the Radio, my mother in NH was thrilled I could listen to WCRB, and then this morning I tried the LL kernel - tears were shed at the sound quality listening to a violin concerto on the freaking radio!
Also my wife noticed the sound is better with volume at 100...which unfortunately requires the PV-5 to be near zero. I look forward to 3.8, and working out some details, like how to get Spotify on there.
Thank you Tim, and all!!!

Hi, just a brief update on moOde 3.8.

The excellent 4.9.38 LL and RT Advanced Audio kernels from Soundcheck are integrated and working great.

-Tim

Hi Tim - looking forward to it! Will there be advanced kernels for the Pi0 & Pi0w too? I'm looking to repurpose a Pi3, and it would be great to have the Pi0w for Moode. Thanks again for all your great work Adrian

Well so far it seems I have managed to blow up one LCD display but got a new one today.

Tried several more things which seem to want different versions of Python.

Anyway I ended up with this GitHub - RandyCupic/RuneAudioLCD: Program for RuneAudio for LCD, remote and buttons

Copied and pasted all the py programs into py files of the matching names, set buttons to false in one of them and ran sudo python start.py which made the display come on saying something about Left & Right.

I then realised that was the test file name but was confused as I had made no setting change in Moode Audio

I assume now because it uses MPD (Music Player Daemon), it even shows a volume bar when you alter the volume.

I now also know Valve amps don't like mobiles being near them, interfering with the sound.

Help!
I am trying to add a 20x4 LCD and so many threads and places say it is so easy and scripts can be downloaded from everywhere.

That's the problem, so many options and none seem to give all the instructions needed.

I followed the instructions at Using An I2C Enabled LCD Screen With The Raspberry Pi

And other than my one is designed to operate on 5v with no extra interface board and has a different address

I2C_ADDR = 0x3f # I2C device address
LCD_WIDTH = 20 # Maximum characters per line

It works.

I have tried downloading various python packages including that moment add on (for the time from what I can find), but only files for a non I2C oled.

Does a list of instructions (in one place) exist telling you how to get the display to work including the path to put for "LCD update engine"

Thanking all you experts in advance for any help.

One, maybe two last questions, is it best to use a display that needs many connections or a I2C one?

Can there data clash with data going to the DAC module?

Attachments

• 2017-07-24 17.12.12.jpg
    2017-07-24 17.12.12.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 2017-07-24 17.20.13.jpg
    2017-07-24 17.20.13.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 330
Airplay no sound Moode 3.7

First of all: Moode is an amazing piece of software, that gives everyday HQ audio pleasure.

I recently upgraded from 3.5 to 3.7. RPI 3, USB DAC is Metrum Hex.
Airplay starts playing, but unfortunately no sound. Audio info shows Airplay source, but no audio stream details.
IOS finds the RPI player, player starts playing, but no sound produced.
Playing around with Moode settings makes no difference: Linux kernel, volume settings, different IOS clients, etc.

Anybody a clue?

Last edited:
For some reason the auto-shuffle function doesnt work for me? do I need special settings besides the one in audio config/mpd/auto-shuffle ? Can I activate this function without any music in the playback list?
My music is on a usb connected harddisk and the mp3 shows up in the browse and library taps. (last verion of moode audio)
Thanks,