Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi

I am following a tutorial to install the script for an “oled display”. The script needs a module called “moment”.

The problem is that when i try to install that module using: “sudo pip install moment”, i get an error message as in the attached text file.

According to some members in the audiophonics forum, that same command and the script were just working fine in previous versions of moode audio. Any help will be appreciated.

I will probably reinstall my audiophonics setup at some time and will try to work out the problem.

I assume you expanded your sdcard so free space is not an issue.

Otherwise look at the directories being used and make sure they exist.

Tim has also gone to a squashfs file system in later versions so that could possibly be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I shall try it tonight, many thanks.

The box will likely end up in the loft so the shutdown script idea could be tricky turning it back on (unless via a remote power module).

Why do you need it to shutdown? Isn't it sufficient for it to stop playing? More than once in this forum, it's been pointed out that the RPi can be left on all the time. In my area, the going rate for electricity is 13cents/kWh so an RPi/DAC drawing 10w (2a at 5v) for a year costs me US $12. YMMV.

Regards,
Kent

new user - very slow web UI

Tim,

I just installed Moode and got my library loaded (over NFS mount) into it. Everything worked fine, except when I added my entire library to a playlist and set it on random play the web UI started crawling. Is there some practical limitation on playlist size or is something else the matter?

Also, the UI doesn't work very well on my smartphone. When I have it in portrait orientation the left and right sides of the UI get cut off and I can't scroll around so the artist/genre pane and the right side cannot be seen unless I flip my phone sideways or request the desktop version of the page from my browser options. Are there other Android apps that can talk to moode and serve as the control for the player (allowing me to skip the UI entirely and use API calls instead)?

Hi,

If you want to random play your entire collection turn on the Auto-shuffle feature in Audio config, then press the Random Play button on the Playback panel. The (i) help for Auto-shuffle explains how the feature works.

First though, you should open the Browse panel and Clear/Play the Default playlist so your entire collection is not in the Playlist.

-Tim

Hi
I am following a tutorial to install the script for an “oled display”. The script needs a module called “moment”.
The problem is that when i try to install that module using: “sudo pip install moment”, i get an error message as in the attached text file.
According to some members in the audiophonics forum, that same command and the script were just working fine in previous versions of moode audio. Any help will be appreciated.

[Disclaimer: I have no experience with the moment module or the OLED display script.]

OK, so at the end of your attached text file we find the smoking gun:
Code:
build/temp.linux-armv7l-2.7/ordereddict.o
    ordereddict.c:22:20: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
     #include "Python.h"

Sure enough, running the find command on my moode-r3.7 installation turns up no instance of Python.h.

Finding out what package can supply the file Python.h requires a bit of Linux-fu. There is a package "apt-file" which can help with this. You don't need to install this because I just did. I found that the packages "libpython-dev" and "libpython-dbg" both contain the needed file. I chose to install the developer package:
Code:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install libpython-dev

Voila, there is now a subdirectory /usr/include/python2.7/ which includes the file Python.h.

With this done,
Code:
$ sudo pip install moment
proceeds to completion. As always, YMMV.

Regards,
Kent

Moode Audio problem

Hi Tim & everybody,

I got my Hifiberry Digi+ Pro version for my Pi3 a few days ago and I have trouble making it work :worried: .

My config : Pi3, 32GB sd card, mouse and AZERTY (French) keyboard on usb ports, wifi & wired ethernet for connections, hdmi cable and 1920 x 1080 computer monitor, coaxial or optical cables for sound.

I have puchased Moode Audio v3.7 from Tim Curtis, installed it on sd card but have always the same problem : the Pi3 seems to boot normally and at the end of boot the screen becomes black when I am asked for logging, and I can’t enter the login :confused:; it's also impossible to ssh the Pi3, I get the same black screen.

I have tried several power supply, Raspberry Pi3 boards, sd cards, monitors, cables, and always the same black screen :mad:. Same result when booting Pi3 without the digi card and with another Pi3 board ...

So I decided to try Volumio ; it detected the Hifiberry Digi+ Pro as output device ; I have enabled i2s support and selected Hifiberry Digi and restarted Volumio. I have loaded some music and have no output signal neither on coax nor on optical, but I just saw that the Digi+ Pro is not yet supported by Volumio :mad: .
So, does Moode audio supports that new card or have I a faulty hardware or another problem ?

I am new to Linux but are there for example some log files I could check ? I could do that with my Pi3 and Raspbian Jessie getting access to a Moode SD card in an usb card reader.

Last minute : I have tried an old Moode Audio 2.7 version and I can login !!! So, what is wrong :confused:

Thanks for your help,

Pascal from France

[Disclaimer: I have no experience with the moment module or the OLED display script.]

OK, so at the end of your attached text file we find the smoking gun:
Code:
build/temp.linux-armv7l-2.7/ordereddict.o
    ordereddict.c:22:20: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
     #include "Python.h"

Sure enough, running the find command on my moode-r3.7 installation turns up no instance of Python.h.

Finding out what package can supply the file Python.h requires a bit of Linux-fu. There is a package "apt-file" which can help with this. You don't need to install this because I just did. I found that the packages "libpython-dev" and "libpython-dbg" both contain the needed file. I chose to install the developer package:
Code:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install libpython-dev

Voila, there is now a subdirectory /usr/include/python2.7/ which includes the file Python.h.

With this done,
Code:
$ sudo pip install moment
proceeds to completion. As always, YMMV.

Regards,
Kent

It worked! Thank you very much. As you can see on the attached picture, it now works nicely thanks to you Kent. The oled displays are very nice as you can see. The script works on music and radio stations. When nothing plays it shows the IP address and the time. For those who are interested the display is about 10US$ and i bought it from 16x2 Character OLED Display, Multiple Colors (CFAL1602C)

For those interested i have attached a picture showing the wiring and the script. I got it from Forum Audiophonics.fr • Consulter le sujet - Moode Audio support

I just added the modification for installing the moment module by Kent.

Remy

Attachments

• oled display final.txt
    713 bytes · Views: 88
  • OLED_Wiring.jpg
    OLED_Wiring.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 362
  • oled.jpg
    oled.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 369
Hi Tim & everybody,

I got my Hifiberry Digi+ Pro version for my Pi3 a few days ago and I have trouble making it work :worried: .

My config : Pi3, 32GB sd card, mouse and AZERTY (French) keyboard on usb ports, wifi & wired ethernet for connections, hdmi cable and 1920 x 1080 computer monitor, coaxial or optical cables for sound.

I have puchased Moode Audio v3.7 from Tim Curtis, installed it on sd card but have always the same problem : the Pi3 seems to boot normally and at the end of boot the screen becomes black when I am asked for logging, and I can’t enter the login :confused:; it's also impossible to ssh the Pi3, I get the same black screen.

Thanks for your help,

Pascal from France

Hi, Pascal. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are expecting to interact with your MoOde Player via a local keyboard and HDMI monitor. That's not how it is designed to work. Have you tried following the Setup Guide to connect to your MoOde Player using a web browser running on another computer/tablet/phone?

If you're determined to use a local keyboard and display you should search this forum for earlier messages by Morias who spelled out a procedure I and others have gotten to work.

Regards,
Kent

It worked! Thank you very much. As you can see on the attached picture, it now works nicely thanks to you Kent. The oled displays are very nice as you can see. The script works on music and radio stations. When nothing plays it shows the IP address and the time. For those who are interested the display is about 10US$ and i bought it from 16x2 Character OLED Display, Multiple Colors (CFAL1602C)

For those interested i have attached a picture showing the wiring and the script. I got it from Forum Audiophonics.fr • Consulter le sujet - Moode Audio support

I just added the modification for installing the moment module by Kent.

Remy

There was a mistake in the script i attached in my earlier post. Here is the corrected one.

Attachments

• oled display final.txt
    714 bytes · Views: 112
Hi,

If you want to random play your entire collection turn on the Auto-shuffle feature in Audio config, then press the Random Play button on the Playback panel. The (i) help for Auto-shuffle explains how the feature works.

First though, you should open the Browse panel and Clear/Play the Default playlist so your entire collection is not in the Playlist.

-Tim

thanks! that works much better.

Hi Ed,

Rebuild MPD database from scratch:
- telnet localhost 6600
- rescan

Reset the Library cache:
- truncate /var/local/www/libcache.json --size 0

Monitor MPD log
- cat /var/log/mpd/mpd.log
- tail -f /var/log/mpd/mpd.log

-Tim

Hi Tim,
The above commands still do not fix the issue. On the Chrome browser, I see the Updating prompt continuously even though I do not see any new updates to the database.

Hi, Pascal. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are expecting to interact with your MoOde Player via a local keyboard and HDMI monitor. That's not how it is designed to work. Have you tried following the Setup Guide to connect to your MoOde Player using a web browser running on another computer/tablet/phone?

If you're determined to use a local keyboard and display you should search this forum for earlier messages by Morias who spelled out a procedure I and others have gotten to work.

Regards,
Kent

Hi TheOldPresbyope,

Thanks for you help !!!
In spite of your presbyopia, I think you have better eyes than me ;) .

I couldn't imagine that it was not possible to connect a local USB keyboard and an HDMI monitor :confused: ... rather than it was not a problem with Moode v2.7.
I just tried v3.7 without monitor & keyboard and I can see the led light at the end of my s/pdif cable :D.
And now I have access to my NAS.
Just have to connect the outputs to an amp.
I will keep you informed of the results.

Thanks again for your valuable help.

Pascal

Hey guys,

I have a problem with the "Consume mode" when shuffle is on.
Let's say song 203 from your playlist is playing, and the next (automatically) chosen song has a higher number (for instance 425), then the selection in the playlist is wrong for a few seconds and then updated correctly. So in this example the player will play song 425, but since we are in consume mode, song 203 is erased from the list and therefore song 424 is selected (the number is 425 alright, but the songtite is wrong).
Kinda hard to explain (especially for a non native English person), but just try it out. Set "Consume mode" and "shuffle" to "ON" and select one song after another and check what happens in the playlist.

Another issue I have is when you have more than 1000 songs in your playlist. Then the selected song title covers the last digit of the number in the front.

Thx,
Johan

Revisiting this forum after almost a month now.

MoOde plays fine - Any new updates coming soon?

Is there a way for me to manually add this radio station?
http://www.onlineradios.in/#radio-city-91-1-fm

Any hardware options for voice based control to play a certain song or skip song like Echo?

In the Browse Tab go to the Radio file. On any of the radio stations click on the menu (hamburger) button on the right hand side, then select "create new station". You will then need to enter the url/address of the stream, not the Radio Station url. Station logos etc can be added but you will have to ssh into thne radio station files to add these.
Alternatively, you can request and wait for Tim to add the requested stations in the next upgrade.

Ian

Hello all, and thank you Tim for maintaining the best audioplayer I've found for my rPi3.

I had some simples questions that I feel may have been addressed before but with updates and etc. I wanted to ask again just to be sure.

My library is about 20% AIFF and WAV files that I've tagged with metadata through some OSX apps. Foobar and some other players seem to render their ID tags okay but I notice that MPD on Moode does not. For AIFF files and sometimes WAV files I do see the album art, however. This might because of a folder.jpg in their directories, though.

So simply stated: Is it currently possible to view metadata tags in Moode when I am listening to my AIFF/WAV files?

Thank you again for the software and thanks to all who can help!

Hello all, and thank you Tim for maintaining the best audioplayer I've found for my rPi3.

I had some simples questions that I feel may have been addressed before but with updates and etc. I wanted to ask again just to be sure.

My library is about 20% AIFF and WAV files that I've tagged with metadata through some OSX apps. Foobar and some other players seem to render their ID tags okay but I notice that MPD on Moode does not. For AIFF files and sometimes WAV files I do see the album art, however. This might because of a folder.jpg in their directories, though.

So simply stated: Is it currently possible to view metadata tags in Moode when I am listening to my AIFF/WAV files?

Thank you again for the software and thanks to all who can help!

Hi,

I submitted an "AIFF tags not showing up" issue to MPD dev and the conclusion was corrupt files in that particular case, however the tags did show up in a 0.19 version of MPD.

I still think it might be a regression bug in MPD so if you wouldn't mind zipping up 2 or 3 AIFF files and sending me a download link I'll submit a new issue to MPD Git.

AFAIK, WAV has no support for tags.

-Tim