Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

Attached screen shots show the new Moode 3.0 Audio config, Squeezelite config and System config pages. Thanks to inmate SC for the nice suggestions for improving the UI :)

Note the new setting on System config for CPU governor. Setting the governor to "Performance" runs the CPU at fixed max frequency. The default setting "On Demand" runs the CPU at varying frequency depending on load.

-Tim

Hi,

Just a friendly bump :)

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r30-1-cfgmenu.png
    moode-r30-1-cfgmenu.png
    198.6 KB · Views: 922
  • moode-r30-2-audiocfg.png
    moode-r30-2-audiocfg.png
    157.4 KB · Views: 876
  • moode-r30-3-slcfg.png
    moode-r30-3-slcfg.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 860
  • moode-r30-4-syscfg1.png
    moode-r30-4-syscfg1.png
    182 KB · Views: 826
  • moode-r30-4-syscfg2.png
    moode-r30-4-syscfg2.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 817
Wow ! better and better and better.....seems the acorn that was Tcmods has grown to a fine and stout MoOde oak. :)

Congratulations Tim !
Your continued development keeps us all on our toes...have to go and find out about this Squeezy thing now :)

Cheers, Bob

Hi Bob,

Here's a few screen shots showing LMS, LMS Web Remote, LMS info and Moode Squeezelite indicator.

LMS is running on my Mac Air.

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r30-d-moode.png
    moode-r30-d-moode.png
    259.5 KB · Views: 311
  • moode-r30-c-slinfo.png
    moode-r30-c-slinfo.png
    298.7 KB · Views: 307
  • moode-r30-b-slweb.png
    moode-r30-b-slweb.png
    252.6 KB · Views: 318
  • moode-r30-a-lmsadv.png
    moode-r30-a-lmsadv.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 346
Hi Bob,

Here's a few screen shots showing LMS, LMS Web Remote, LMS info and Moode Squeezelite indicator.

LMS is running on my Mac Air.

-Tim
Soooo, lets see if I have this right..... the LMedia server runs on another os on another (or several instances and other) hardware such as laptop, desktop,tablet, phone and sends audio files to MoOde for playback through the RPi and associated hardware.

This/these LMS' (you can have several devices serving files to MoOde ?) are controlled from the MoOde web client..

Some USB wifi adaptors do not play well with 40MHz-wide channels.

It's worth testing with 20MHz channels and then seeing if things still work when you up the bandwidth to 40Mhz.

Phil

Further...

40MHz can problematic in high-density urban areas for a number of reasons, in addition to being problematic with 802.11a/b/g devices. It forces you to use channel 1, which can be jammed in many areas, resulting in even worse performance than 20MHz.

In such situations, you are better off with 20MHz as it allows you to be more selective about which channels you use.

If you live in an apartment block, you can take the 'less is more' approach by reducing your routers power, it is less likely to 'bump' into competing networks and have to back off, resulting in better overall throughput.

I probably shouldn't have even raised the spectre of 40MHz on 2.4GHz - it's great to play with to see what maximum throughput you can achieve, but unless your network is comprised of all 802.11n, unless you are in a clutter-free area with little interference, unless your house is wifi-friendly, construction wise, you are likely to make things more problematic. Living in an area where mine is the only wifi signal I can see and in an 'open' wooden house, such as my one in NZ, gives me much more latitude, which may not be suitable in NA and Europe.

More transceivers, such as seen in 450, 600, 750, 900, 1200Mbps and up routers, is an affordable and easily-integrated way of solving wifi gremlins.

Soooo, lets see if I have this right..... the LMedia server runs on another os on another (or several instances and other) hardware such as laptop, desktop,tablet, phone and sends audio files to MoOde for playback through the RPi and associated hardware.

This/these LMS' (you can have several devices serving files to MoOde ?) are controlled from the MoOde web client..

Hi Bob,

The Squeeze system is similar to UPnP A/V and Airplay but more powerful.

In it's simplest configuration:

- LMS is server and indexes the music collection
- Squeezelite is client and receives streams from LMS
- LMS Web Remote functions as the Player UI

LMS and Squeezelite can exist on the same host or different hosts.

There are other Remote Controllers for example iPeng for IOS and Orange Squeeze for Android.

Regards,
Tim

Moode acts as the renderer. You control it through the various Logitech apps.

In effect, pretending to be a squeezebox in the same way it pretends to be an airplay speaker

Thanks Tim and Zootalaws...
Yes that makes sense... I've used Daphile on laptops so presumably that's an instance of "LMS and Squeezelite can exist on the same host"

From the screenshots earlier it seems that squeezelite is selected in the MoOde web UI and then another web UI (LMS Remote or others ?) becomes the controller.

Looking forward to trying this out especially if it can play files from multiple devices to MoOde. :)

@Zootalaws....
"Living in an area where mine is the only wifi signal I can see"
Sounds like rural Wellingumboot ?
I'm beginning to wonder if we're within waving distance of each other... Judgeford by any chance...? :)

Hi guys!

Comparing a LMS- squeezelite- system- regardless in which combination (both on one device or separated), it sounded significantly inferior to a pure MPD- based player.
LMS is really nice to look at and has Incredible features implemented, but to me- Sound Quality is the knock out factor.

Greetingz, Robert

Hi,

Real-time FIFO scheduling for MPD included in Moode 3.0 :)

This provides improved overall responsiveness and ensures that the audio pipeline in MPD is not preempted by low priority tasks. The FIFO scheduler runs on both Standard and Advanced kernels.

This feature plus the Advanced Audio Kernel and Performance CPU governor provides a great foundation for high-end audio.

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r30-mpdsched0.png
    moode-r30-mpdsched0.png
    202.5 KB · Views: 640
  • moode-r30-mpdsched1.png
    moode-r30-mpdsched1.png
    213.4 KB · Views: 619
  • moode-r30-mpdsched2.png
    moode-r30-mpdsched2.png
    198.6 KB · Views: 597
Guys,
Did anyone succeded in upgrading Moode on PiZero? Both my Zeros are not working correctly anymore:
- empty "Browse" tab
- library showing some empty 'items" only
- can't connect to mpd (dispplaying errors)

So far, nothing helped (reset, clean install of 2.7 and then upgrade, etc).
One Zero has PlainDAC+, the other one Pimoroni pHat DAC

All was ok up to update from 10/19
The next one "broke" it.

Tim, is there any significant change that is incompatible with PiZero?

Marek

Last edited:
Guys,
Did anyone succeded in upgrading Moode on PiZero? Both my Zeros are not working correctly anymore:
- empty "Browse" tab

Marek

Works fine on my pi zero plus pHAT dac.

Phil

Guys,
- empty "Browse" tab

All was ok up to update from 10/19
The next one "broke" it.

Tim, is there any significant change that is incompatible with PiZero?

Marek

Hi,

An update has not been released for Moode 2.7 so I'm not sure what type of update or upgrade you are referring to.

-Tim

Hi,

An update has not been released for Moode 2.7 so I'm not sure what type of update or upgrade you are referring to.

-Tim

??
What about test updates from 10/20(or 21), then 10/25 and 10/26?
I've had clean installed 2.7 and then these appeared when doing check for the updates via the "system" menu.

Luckily, I have backup of the previous state, so I can easily get back to the working state. :D

Marek

??
What about test updates from 10/20(or 21), then 10/25 and 10/26?
I've had clean installed 2.7 and then these appeared when doing check for the updates via the "system" menu.

Luckily, I have backup of the previous state, so I can easily get back to the working state. :D

Marek

Hi Marek,

The updates marked by the word "TEST" in the Package date appear only if Debug logging is turned on and they serve to help me test, debug and refine features as they are being developed. I might upload 15 to 20 iterations per day of a given test update.

These updates contain bugs and are often highly unstable and will likely cause massive breakage.

I think you would agree that its better to have my test systems break than the systems you use for your daily music enjoyment, so if you see the word TEST in the Package date then try to resist installing it :)

-Tim

Tim,

I fully agree :) haha
I've been fully aware, that these are test versions. :)
I've been just wondering, if there was some incompatibility with Zero, which would mean, I have to stay with older version in the future, or just pull the Pi2 out of the treasue-box ;)

As said - I made a copy image of the card, so I can get back to working state in a few minutes.

All is clear now :)

Thanks!