Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Tim,

Any idea how to force squeezelite to work with moode? I got to the point where SL is running, connected to the LMS, showing up under LMS but no music is coming out.
I tried instruct SL what HW to use but to no avail....
I can use AirPlay but I'd like to make it work...

Thanks

Hi,

I don't have a Squeeze setup so I'm not sure what you are trying to do in getting "squeezelite to work with Moode"

What exactly are you trying to do?

Regards,
Tim

System: Linear 5V/2A power supply, Raspberry Pi 2, Hifiberry Dac+ pro, 8gb micro SD card, wifi dongle, Moode Audio 2.4, all audio files on Buffalo LinkStation NAS.

Hi Tim, RPi & Linux newby here. Small problem that I haven’t been able to resolve with Moode and my music files. I have three folders on a NAS configured as sources: A. 500 songs; B. 20,000 songs, C. 500 songs. Everything works beautifully until I turn off the RPi. When the RPi is restarted and Moode is reloaded, all songs in the two 500-song folders can be played immediately. Using the Browse function, I can see the 20,000-song folder and all files. However, if I select any they appear in the playlist but do not play (simultaneously, album art does not appear when previously it worked properly). If I then return to the Music Source Configuration page, select the 20,000-song NAS source (which has a green checkmark), click to edit, hit save without changing any parameters, I then can select and play any songs in the 20,000-song folder and album art works again. I have mounted and unmounted the NAS folders without solving this problem. All three NAS sources have the same parameters selected (other than the path to the folder).
Any idea what is going on here?

Hi,

Very odd.

One of my test Pi's has 3 NAS sources configured, one source has 18K tracks and no issues selecting and playing tracks from any source after rebooting, power down/up.

What Browser are u using?

Regards,
Tim Curtis

i'm using iqaudio dac+

right now i'm listening to rush via the onboard headphone amp and i must say for the peanuts this thing cost its incredible. powering my DT-880 600ohm no problems.

how to make a tablet make frog sounds... have 2 browsers open at once (PC & Tablet) ... lol

i'm using iqaudio dac+

right now i'm listening to rush via the onboard headphone amp and i must say for the peanuts this thing cost its incredible. powering my DT-880 600ohm no problems.

how to make a tablet make frog sounds... have 2 browsers open at once (PC & Tablet) ... lol

Hi,

Optimal config for this DAC is:

(1) MPD volume control = "Hardware" (Menu, Configure, MPD)
(2) Logarithmic curve = "Yes" (Menu, Customize)

Regards,
Tim

Hi,
thanks for all the hard work with Moode.

Things are OK on first installation and it plays OK but then I hit a problem. Returning to Moode the following day (Pi left on - it's a "B") the Play button does not respond when I click it (library or radio).

I can browse the MPD library and make playlists and can (sometimes) jump from song to song - but Play doesn't work. I suspected that Moode wasn't recognising my USB DAC (NAD D3020) because it had been switched off over that time (in fact the NAD switches itself off anyway if it isn't being used) and once I managed to get it to work (briefly) by unplugging the DAC, rebooting, plugging in and rebooting again. However this doesn't seem to work every time.

Any clues to what I should be doing?

Hi,
thanks for all the hard work with Moode.

Things are OK on first installation and it plays OK but then I hit a problem. Returning to Moode the following day (Pi left on - it's a "B") the Play button does not respond when I click it (library or radio).

I can browse the MPD library and make playlists and can (sometimes) jump from song to song - but Play doesn't work. I suspected that Moode wasn't recognising my USB DAC (NAD D3020) because it had been switched off over that time (in fact the NAD switches itself off anyway if it isn't being used) and once I managed to get it to work (briefly) by unplugging the DAC, rebooting, plugging in and rebooting again. However this doesn't seem to work every time.

Any clues to what I should be doing?

Hi,

Moode does not support hot-plugging USB audio devices. If unplug DAC from running Moode, it or any other DAC will not be recognized when plugged back in. Pi has to be power off/on or rebooted with USB audio device connected and powered on.

Regards,
Tim

I typically use Firefox, but just confirmed the odd behavior with Internet Explorer 11.

Hi,

I'm not able to repro this in my test environment but one way to possibly work around the issue would be to move the music collections under a single root folder on the NAS and then share this folder out.

You would end up making a single source mount in Moode.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Moode does not support hot-plugging USB audio devices. If unplug DAC from running Moode, it or any other DAC will not be recognized when plugged back in. Pi has to be power off/on or rebooted with USB audio device connected and powered on.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim, thanks for replying so fast.

Just to check I did a fresh install of Moode from SD, as per the set-up notes, initially without USB DAC, set the Custom Config with the Nad DAC then plugged the DAC in and rebooted the Pi. It played radio perfectly, made the MPD and played songs perfectly.

Then I paused the music and just left everything for an hour, with the Pi left on. During that time the Nad D3020 DAC went into standby, I switched it on from the remote and once again the Play button on Moode doesn't function. So I am not hot-plugging, I am leaving the Pi on all the time and just swtching the DAC on when I need it.

I wonder if anyone else using the Nad (quite a popular DAC/Amp) or other DACs that have a standby mode has seen this and found a fix?

Hi Olaf,

By new name do you mean that after each reboot, when you open the Browse panel the contents of the USB drive appears under USB folder one time, then USB2 folder the next time then ...

When you click into the folder are you able to actually navigate the music collection?

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Indeed, this was the issue.
Now I have mounted the USB drive via fstab (see http://www.htpcguides.com/properly-mount-usb-storage-raspberry-pi/

Added the line below line in the fstab:
UUID=563C-82DB /mnt/USB2 exfat nofail,uid=pi,gid=pi 0 0

This works (tested 3 times)

So thanks Tim and Marszczak

Just to check I did a fresh install of Moode from SD, as per the set-up notes, initially without USB DAC, set the Custom Config with the Nad DAC then plugged the DAC in and rebooted the Pi. It played radio perfectly, made the MPD and played songs perfectly.

Then I paused the music and just left everything for an hour, with the Pi left on. During that time the Nad D3020 DAC went into standby, I switched it on from the remote and once again the Play button on Moode doesn't function. So I am not hot-plugging, I am leaving the Pi on all the time and just swtching the DAC on when I need it.

I wonder if anyone else using the Nad (quite a popular DAC/Amp) or other DACs that have a standby mode has seen this and found a fix?

Hi,

Hot plugging capability also covers the scenario where the cable is left plugged in but the audio device is turned off and electrically disconnects from the USB port.

The symptoms suggest that when the NAD goes into standby, it powers off its USB port and thus electrically disconnects from the Pi USB port, as if the cable were pulled.

Does the NAD have a setting to prevent standby mode?

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Indeed, this was the issue.
Now I have mounted the USB drive via fstab (see http://www.htpcguides.com/properly-mount-usb-storage-raspberry-pi/

Added the line below line in the fstab:
UUID=563C-82DB /mnt/USB2 exfat nofail,uid=pi,gid=pi 0 0

This works (tested 3 times)

So thanks Tim and Marszczak

Hi,

I just want to confirm that this is exFAT file system on your USB drive.

exFAT support was added to Moode 2.4 and this behavior did not show up in my testing but I will definitely retest. My earlier tests regarding this issue were with NTFS format USB drives.

Regards,
Tim

jpeg4, did you by chance have this issue using Moode 2.3? Or is 2.4 your first Moode install.

Tim, this behavior is along the lines of what I described to you via email. 2.4 drops the PCM stream/lock completely once a track/album has finished or is paused. 2.3 did not exhibit this behavior and maintained a lock even if the PCM stream has stopped. I guess that this loss of lock is causing jpeg4's DAC to enter stand-by mode whereas 2.3 would have kept it 'awake'?

wj

Hi,

Hot plugging capability also covers the scenario where the cable is left plugged in but the audio device is turned off and electrically disconnects from the USB port.

The symptoms suggest that when the NAD goes into standby, it powers off its USB port and thus electrically disconnects from the Pi USB port, as if the cable were pulled.

Does the NAD have a setting to prevent standby mode?

Regards,
Tim
Hi Tim
that's what I feared. Maybe I could change the standby settings but it kind of defeats the purpose for me which is to switch the DAC off overnight or other times I'm not using it but leave the Pi on 24/7 running a minidlna server to other devices in the house.

Maybe a clue: I just tried running Volumio and it doesn't seem to suffer this problem, I can switch the DAC on and off, it pauses and I can resume when the DAC goes back on. But at the moment I'd prefer to use Moode if I could, I prefer the operability and the MPoD App is really nice when Moode is running.

jpeg4, did you by chance have this issue using Moode 2.3? Or is 2.4 your first Moode install.

Tim, this behavior is along the lines of what I described to you via email. 2.4 drops the PCM stream/lock completely once a track/album has finished or is paused. 2.3 did not exhibit this behavior and maintained a lock even if the PCM stream has stopped. I guess that this loss of lock is causing jpeg4's DAC to enter stand-by mode whereas 2.3 would have kept it 'awake'?

wj

That's interesting, maybe fits with my last comment on Volumio?
I've only ever tried 2.4. Is 2.3 available anywhere? If so I can try it when I get a minute.