Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hello,

First of all, thanks a lot Tim. Last version is working as good as the previous one. I'm still having some clicks and pops when the songs start and end (Pi-DAC+) and I don't know if there is a bug, limitation or something I can improve to remove them.

I have a request, don't know if it is a new one or not.

Many times I dont have a network (Wi-Fi or Ethernet) to connect to, so I'd love to connect a USB pendrive to the Raspberry Pi and reproduce automatically whatever is there. I can use tethering on my mobile and connect to moode with MPDroid, but sometimes I cannot do it.

Thanks and best regards / Fernando

Hi,

I have a Pi-DAC+ and no issues whatsoever :) In your case, assuming the noise is not in the song files themselves, I would first try a different PS (power supply), then maybe a different USB cable if using a USB attached drive, stereo interconnect cables, etc. Good quality PS is essential!

USB sticks are supported. Format as NTFS or Ext3/Ext4 and you should be all set.

Regards,
Tim

Does moode support for USB DAC? If so, do we need driver or any configuration to be selected? Please advise.
BK

Hi,

On moodeaudio.org, click the DAC LIST button. This list contains DAC's and other Audio Devices reported by users to work well with Moode. No driver is needed. Just plug in, reboot and Linux/Moode will automatically configure :)

Note #1: currently due to a bug in USB driver in Linux 3.18 series kernels, some USB DAC's that use high speed UAC2 USB receivers require a special setting in Linux boot config to workaround the bug. One example is Schiit Modi 2.

Note #2: a few USB DAC's don't work at all with Linux due to the way their USB firmware was written. One example is NAD M51.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

I have a Pi-DAC+ and no issues whatsoever :) In your case, assuming the noise is not in the song files themselves, I would first try a different PS (power supply), then maybe a different USB cable if using a USB attached drive, stereo interconnect cables, etc. Good quality PS is essential!

USB sticks are supported. Format as NTFS or Ext3/Ext4 and you should be all set.

Regards,
Tim

Hummm, I'm having some issues with the Pi-DAC+, more noticeable with different power supplies and/or cables. For instance there are some clicks and pops even when moode is booting up. Do you notice any when connecting the Raspberry Pi to the power supply till it starts? If you don't then I'm sending it back and asking for a replacement.

Maybe I did not explain myself. What I want is to have an option on the menu to automatically add and reproduce the contents of an USB drive once it is plugged in, and even better if it can be randomly played. I don't want to open a web browser (or mpdroid) and add them.

Hummm, I'm having some issues with the Pi-DAC+, more noticeable with different power supplies and/or cables. For instance there are some clicks and pops even when moode is booting up. Do you notice any when connecting the Raspberry Pi to the power supply till it starts? If you don't then I'm sending it back and asking for a replacement.

Maybe I did not explain myself. What I want is to have an option on the menu to automatically add and reproduce the contents of an USB drive once it is plugged in, and even better if it can be randomly played. I don't want to open a web browser (or mpdroid) and add them.

Hi,

I have the following 5 configurations and no noises whatsoever at power up, during boot or during play back.

- Pi-1B + G2 Labs BerryNOS Red (i2s) + G2 Labs Custom PS
- Pi-1B + JDS Labs ODAC (usb) + Canakit 5V 2.5A PS
- Pi-1B + JDS Labs ODAC (usb) + Canakit 5V 2.5A PS
- Pi-2B + IQaudIO Pi-DAC+ (i2s) + Canakit 5V 2.5A PS
- Pi-2B + IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ (i2s) + XP Power VEF50US15 15v 3.3amp External AC/DC Power brick

The file loading feature you are describing is where music collection is on NAS and then USB storage device is plugged into the Pi, and then a menu pick for copying all or part of the music collection from NAS to the USB storage device for offline use.

Did I understand correctly?

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,
Just downloaded and installed v2.2.

Sounds so far as good as the previous :) Great work!!!

I'm just facing also a strange cover art issue: while the covers are shown on my tablet they aren't on my win8 notebook.
See following pic:
c7cb5559d17cf54e9d5cdca9b816b83f.jpg

This hasn't occured with version 2.1.

All files are stored on my NAS as MP3, flac or dsf and include embedded covers as well as a separate folder.jpg.

Any tip?

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

I'm just facing also a strange cover art issue: while the covers are shown on my tablet they aren't on my win8 notebook.
See following pic:

All files are stored on my NAS as MP3, flac or dsf and include embedded covers as well as a separate folder.jpg.

Any tip?

Hi,

Just the mp3's or do all files exhibit the symptom on Win8 ?

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

See following pic:

Any tip?

try a different browser,, Chrome or Ie..

Hi,

Just the mp3's or do all files exhibit the symptom on Win8 ?

Regards,
Tim

all formats

try a different browser,, Chrome or Ie..

I used already Chrome on my tab as well as on my Notebook.

But with IE11 all covers are shown correctly?!?!

But there were all shown with Chrome when I used v2.1.

Hmm...don´t like IE11 at all ;-)

Last edited:
all formats

I used already Chrome on my tab as well as on my Notebook.

But with IE11 all covers are shown correctly?!?!

But there were all shown with Chrome when I used v2.1.

Hmm...don´t like IE11 at all ;-)

Hi,

There is bug in 2.2 affecting coverart. It appears to be outside of the code and possibly in one of the config files. I'll post back as soon as its isolated and a fix or workaround is available.

Regards,
Tim

I will make some more tests with the Pi-Dac+ but the pop, hiss, humm and all kind of artifacts are noticeable and very annoying, booting up and between flac files too (not only 320 MP3). So I will return it tomorrow.

Hi,

The file loading feature you are describing is where music collection is on NAS and then USB storage device is plugged into the Pi, and then a menu pick for copying all or part of the music collection from NAS to the USB storage device for offline use.

Did I understand correctly?

Let me explain it in some other way. You take your Raspberry Pi to the beach with a battery and moode on it. No internet connection, no computer, no access to the GUI. You ask your friends to bring one pendrive with their favourite songs, so you get 5 pendrives. You power up the Raspberry Pi with moode, wait till it boots, and connect the first pendrive. Moode automatically detects you are in party mode (no internet connection, maybe you could configure it too in settings to boot in party mode) and that you have plugged in an USB device with music. Moode adds the contents of the USB device to the playing list and starts playing it automatically. No interaction with moode GUI at all, just by plugging the USB drive with music it starts playing. This could be useful for parties, or just when you have no internet at all and a pendrive or HD full of music. Even better, the list is played in random order.

Do you see it feasible?

Thanks for all your help / Fernando

I will make some more tests with the Pi-Dac+ but the pop, hiss, humm and all kind of artifacts are noticeable and very annoying, booting up and between flac files too (not only 320 MP3). So I will return it tomorrow.

Let me explain it in some other way. You take your Raspberry Pi to the beach with a battery and moode on it. No internet connection, no computer, no access to the GUI. You ask your friends to bring one pendrive with their favourite songs, so you get 5 pendrives. You power up the Raspberry Pi with moode, wait till it boots, and connect the first pendrive. Moode automatically detects you are in party mode (no internet connection, maybe you could configure it too in settings to boot in party mode) and that you have plugged in an USB device with music. Moode adds the contents of the USB device to the playing list and starts playing it automatically. No interaction with moode GUI at all, just by plugging the USB drive with music it starts playing. This could be useful for parties, or just when you have no internet at all and a pendrive or HD full of music. Even better, the list is played in random order.

Do you see it feasible?

Thanks for all your help / Fernando

Hi,

Now I understand your usage scenario :)

A feature like this would probably have to implimented as a separate software module that could detect USB hot-plug events and then control MPD. It's beyond the scope of what I can do.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Just an FYI that AndiG, the dev working on Moode 3 project, found the configuration bug that was causing some issues in the new cover art feature. Andi also provided some new code that does fast extract of embedded art in ALAC / m4a files :))

After testing is complete, a bugfix release is planned. Due to changes in the distro itself this will be a complete release 2.3 image.

Regards,
Tim

Thanks for Moode - Comments and suggestions

Hi,

Moode Audio Player release 2.2 is available for download at moodeaudio.org :)

Just wanted to say thanks for such good work.
I am using Pi-2 with IQAudio DAC+. My collection is all high quality Flac. Everything works perfectly for me. I was late installing this version because My wi-fi set-up was causing problems with previous setup (nothing to do with Moode itself). In case it helps anyone else symptoms were:

1. glitches on playback from NAS over wi-fi. Caused by interference on wi-fi even though signal level was reported good. Cured by changing channels on the router.

2. Library not detecting some albums on NAS - problem was caused by NAS which did not have all folders flagged for access by anybody.

3. Lost display of volume control - caused by wi-fi, simply fixed by refreshing browser - press F5.

4. No album art from embedded flac tag - temporary fix was to export album art which I did using Puddletag on linux. Same can be achieved in windows with mp3Tag. Now of course Version 2.2 reads the Flac files and I have deleted all those unwanted image files - thanks again Tim.

Suggestions for future releases

a) Library update for new folders without updating everything
b) Random playback from library, and if this could be by genre so much better. It comes as a shock if you get a section of Brahms followed by Metallica!
c) Ability to save library and radio lists to overwrite when new version is installed

Great work Tim - Lets all send him some cash

@Imazed
c) Ability to save library and radio lists to overwrite when new version is installed
This exists...there is a folder in network shares you can copy and back-up elsewhere then restore to a new install...
I create a folder named 'Stock' in the 'Webradio' folder and move all the supplied stations into it. Then I make another folder 'Faves' where I add all my found stations.
I back up 'Faves' then when a new release comes out I simply make another "Stock' folder and add the backed up 'Faves'

Tim mentioned the network share here...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-49.html#post4436814

b) Random playback from library, and if this could be by genre so much better.
You can do this now..;) make and save several playlists each of a different genre then load one, attach a keyboard and run...
Code:
mpc random