Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

You, Mr Curtis, are a total b'tard.

I've done sod all except play around with Moode for days now. The wife says I smell and the cats give me dirty looks while dragging their food bowls around behind them... I think they are dropping hints but I can't hear their whining, so I'm not sure. Still, I've lost nearly a stone- although my hair has gone a funny colour and I think I am stuck to the couch.

But... there be bugs - where do I let you know of them?

Feed those cats! Lawls :)

You can post bugs here or send them to me at my email address: tim @ tcmods dot org

Regards,
TC

Hi,

Some screen shots of Playback History feature coming in release 1.9 :)

Regards,
TC

Attachments

• moode-r19-playhistory1a.png
    moode-r19-playhistory1a.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 280
  • moode-r19-playhistory1b.png
    moode-r19-playhistory1b.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 252
  • moode-r19-playhistory1c.png
    moode-r19-playhistory1c.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 251
  • moode-r19-playhistory1d.png
    moode-r19-playhistory1d.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 249
You probably spent more on your friday night out than I earn in a month.

I don't think I am in a position to do that.

And if that's a serious reply, I am disappointed.

Hi,

It's a serious reply.

I just have a few DACS including:
- G2 LABS BerryNOS Red (i2s)
- IQaudIO DAC+ (i2s)
- HifiBerry DAC+ (i2s)
- JDS LAbs ODAC (USB)

To solve some problems I need the hardware :)

Regards,
TC

Last edited:
Any ideas on getting the HifiBerry AMP+ working?

It works 'out of the box' on Volumio and Rune and Musicbox.

Have you tried all of the i2s options in the Moode configuration page ?
Presumably the Amp+ uses the same dac as the HiFiBerry plus so try that to start.

I have a budget third party dac that came without any instructions whatsoever... I tried several of the stock options in Moode i2s config and found one that worked... These devices seem to draw on a small pool of stock chips and package around them. What works for one may work for many...

Cutting edge software and tech mean that problem solving is just as much the domain of users as developers..it is a two way street and we need to step up and assist wherever possible..

Try some options and report back where we may all learn and help...:)

and know that honey catches more flies than vinegar...:D

@Tim...That 'Playback History Feature' is Smokin Hot !!!
I can't wait to try it....
Thanks..
Bob.

No, it doesn't use the same DAC and yes I have tried everything. It uses a tas5713 DAC.

Support for the AMP+ is built-in, but doesn't work. It's an option from the i2s configurator.

If the developer can't configure it, I doubt that I, with my limited coding skills, can.

"Cutting edge software and tech mean that problem solving is just as much the domain of users as developers..it is a two way street and we need to step up and assist wherever possible.."

I have been in contact with Tim for days. I have tried a number of things he has recommended, none of which worked. There has been nothing but 'honey'. I'm not sure why you think there hasn't?

Hi,

It's a serious reply.

I just have a few DACS including:
- G2 LABS BerryNOS Red (i2s)
- IQaudIO DAC+ (i2s)
- HifiBerry DAC+ (i2s)
- JDS LAbs ODAC (USB)

To solve some problems I need the hardware :)

Regards,
TC

I just fixed it by using HiFiBerry's recommended settings for Unix 3.12. https://www.hifiberry.com/guides/hifiberry-software-configuration/

In addition I added dtoverlay=hifiberry-amp to config.txt

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfelwr8ycujz6v6/Screenshot 2015-05-17 13.41.47.png?dl=0

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't use the same DAC and yes I have tried everything. It uses a tas5713 DAC.

Support for the AMP+ is built-in, but doesn't work. It's an option from the i2s configurator.

If the developer can't configure it, I doubt that I, with my limited coding skills, can.

I have been in contact with Tim for days. I have tried a number of things he has recommended, none of which worked. There has been nothing but 'honey'. I'm not sure why you think there hasn't?

I am more than pleased you have found a solution :)
Thank you for posting your fix..it will be of use to others..:)

I am not privy to any communications you may have had with Tim and have only commented on your posts here.
That I found your posts rude and disrespectful to a developer who is providing you with a free and feature rich alternative for RPi perhaps is my reaction to the tip of the iceberg of your communications that appear here ....;)
I prefer to play the ball and not the man.

I applaud your solutions, your persistence, and your dedication.

Peace be with you.

"That I found your posts rude and disrespectful"

My what?

I asked a question. Sorry if that is 'rude and disrespectful'.

EDIT: Further - if Tim had found my comments rude and disrespectful, I would have expected him to tell me so himself. I have been in contact with him for some days, on this and other matters.

My posts were wholly factual - FWIW, not that is much, I have at my disposal about US$200/mo. It takes me many, many months to save from my meager earnings to buy electronics, just as it takes many, many weeks to receive the simplest things via snail mail. I live in an electronic desert, where even such simple items as 'hobbyist' wire, solder, capacitors, resistors, crimp connectors, etc. needs to be imported. I was being completely frank when I said that what Tim spends on a Friday night is probably more than my available funds for a month.

You have no idea what my situation is, nor what my correspondence with Tim has been up to now, yet you felt qualified to make a judgement call about my' rude and disrespectful' post?

I think you should keep your opinions to yourself. You are coming from a position of little knowledge in this.

Last edited:
I just fixed it by using HiFiBerry's recommended settings for Unix 3.12. https://www.hifiberry.com/guides/hifiberry-software-configuration/

In addition I added dtoverlay=hifiberry-amp to config.txt

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfelwr8ycujz6v6/Screenshot 2015-05-17 13.41.47.png?dl=0

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

From what I've been able to gather, the AMP+ overlay does not work in 3.18.5 kernel (but is supposed to work in newer, yet to be released kernel) so the /etc/modules drivers must be used instead.

I can code for this in 1.9 but I just want to be sure of your working configuration so if you wouldn't mind confirming the contents of the following files, I'd appreciate it.

(1) /etc/modules
snd_soc_bcm2708
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_hifiberry_amp

(2) /boot/config.txt
dtoverlay=hifiberry-amp

Have u tested it without the line in #(2) ? Reason I ask is that it's unusual to have both the overlay and the modules loaded at the same time. I'm surprised it even boots like this!

Regards,
TC

@Tim...That 'Playback History Feature' is Smokin Hot !!!
I can't wait to try it....
Thanks..
Bob.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

The feature was almost as complex as Clock Radio to implement lol. The history engine is entirely server-based so the Player UI does not even need to be running :) A type-down search on the History Viewer is the last part that needs to be coded.

Regards,
tcmods.org
http://twitter.com/MoodeAudio
Tim

BBC Hls streams

Hi Tim,

I have just found your Moode Player, it looks very interesting, reading all the various forums, (fora?), I see that you have posted a "teaser" showing various BBC radio logos, and also references to changes to mpd.

Are you proposing to use the version 19.2 or later of mpd to decode the "new" BBC m3u8 streams?

I have been using lms and squeezelite to play these streams. They are very good quality, make the 128b mp3 sound very poor. I find the old squeeze server stuff a bit restrictive, I worry that Logitech will discontinue their software, so I would like to go with your new player, if it could play the HLS stuff. Your development rate is incredible.

I see from reading some posts in the Mpd lists, that it is not a simple job to play Hls streams, and I have not found a definitive post with the solution.

Minim server / streamer have cracked it, but I would prefer a one box solution, as I do not need multi room audio.

cheers

Patrick

Hi Tim,

I have just found your Moode Player, it looks very interesting, reading all the various forums, (fora?), I see that you have posted a "teaser" showing various BBC radio logos, and also references to changes to mpd.

Are you proposing to use the version 19.2 or later of mpd to decode the "new" BBC m3u8 streams?

I have been using lms and squeezelite to play these streams. They are very good quality, make the 128b mp3 sound very poor. I find the old squeeze server stuff a bit restrictive, I worry that Logitech will discontinue their software, so I would like to go with your new player, if it could play the HLS stuff. Your development rate is incredible.

I see from reading some posts in the Mpd lists, that it is not a simple job to play Hls streams, and I have not found a definitive post with the solution.

Minim server / streamer have cracked it, but I would prefer a one box solution, as I do not need multi room audio.

cheers

Patrick

Hi,

Yes, upgrading and enhancing some of the plumbing i.e., MPD, SoX, UPnP, PHP, NGINX etc. is on my to-do list.

Currently, I'm working on a test release for a user that contains an enhancement to UPnP that hopefully will provide album art display. If it works, it will be included in Moode release 1.9.

Next, I'd like to begin testing latest MPD :)

Question for u:

Do the HLS streams contain metadata like Song title, station name, etc.?

Regards,
Tim

Yay! BBC HLS FTW!

And yes, they do. Have you seen the BBC Audio Factory tech pages?

From the 'boss' of audio streaming:

We are reviewing the situation and will publish something other than a blog post with more information about how organisations can get access to the metadata.

We do not charge manufacturers for this information. The terms and conditions we agree are confidential (as you would expect) but their main goal is to ensure that organisations cannot profit from the BBC content by, for example, charging users for access to our streams or putting advertising around them.

More useful reading is at:Do I need to buy a new internet radio to listen to BBC Radio? | Technology | The Guardian

with some links at: Listen Live Online to BBC - RadioFeeds UK & Ireland Search

and: UK Radio Stations webcasting in AAC+ (HLS), Ogg Vorbis, Opus and RealPlayer formats

It looks like they made a bit of a pigs ear out of it and that until DASH is fully implemented, it's going to be difficult to have a confidently-working set of streams.

That being said, they seem open to giving out information and keeping developers in the loop, if you contact the right people and get on their mailing list. I am happy to chase this down if you would like.