Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

And while it doesn't have anything to do with Moode per se, I was having all sorts of problems dealing with a house that has tiled walls and foot-thick brick interior walls eating into my WiFi.

I have tried a number of different Wifi nubbins - cheap and cheerful, Comfast (cheap and not so cheerful) and the EDUP and EDIMAX ones everyone recommends and no joy. I ended up using my printer Appleshare device to extend Ethernet to my new hifi-based unit.

I just received these: COMFAST CF WU735P Ralink RT5370 usb wifi adapter 802.11 n/g/b 150Mbps Mini USB WiFi Wireless Network Card with 5 dBi antenna-in USB Wi-Fi Adapters/Dongles from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

And they have definitely done the job. I can see the Moode device from the other end of the house now.

They are about the same size as a normal wifi plug in (not the micro) but has a multi-position antenna on the end. Works a treat.

I have on on my main Raspberry Pi 2B and I just put one on my old Model B and they both work a treat.

Sorry to derail...

Hi,

Just a brief status on release 2.0

I've been testing two new Linux kernels. Kernel 3.18.11 from the latest Raspbian release dated 2015-05-05 and 3.18.14 from rpi-update.

Both of these new kernels have significant changes in ALSA that require new and updated code in Moode. So far the code changes seem to be working ok!

Plan is to make a 2.0 test release pretty soon and get some feedback regarding DAC compatibility, stability and audio function with these new kernels.

Regards,
Tim

Tim,

I'll be happy to take 2.0t1 for a spin when you get it to the point where you would like the feedback. 1.9r1 is working well for me.

I have been interested in trying variations on the SoX upsampling. I like 24/192 Medium from the current choices. I would prefer to avoid adding another task to your ever-growing list, so I wanted to know if there were a file entry that I could edit to try some different possibilities? If I did that, it might not be reflected properly in the MPD configuration interface, or, possibly the Audio Info report, but it still might work.

Thanks,

Skip

And while it doesn't have anything to do with Moode per se, I was having all sorts of problems dealing with a house that has tiled walls and foot-thick brick interior walls eating into my WiFi.

I have tried a number of different Wifi nubbins - cheap and cheerful, Comfast (cheap and not so cheerful) and the EDUP and EDIMAX ones everyone recommends and no joy. I ended up using my printer Appleshare device to extend Ethernet to my new hifi-based unit.

I just received these: COMFAST CF WU735P Ralink RT5370 usb wifi adapter 802.11 n/g/b 150Mbps Mini USB WiFi Wireless Network Card with 5 dBi antenna-in USB Wi-Fi Adapters/Dongles from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

And they have definitely done the job. I can see the Moode device from the other end of the house now.

They are about the same size as a normal wifi plug in (not the micro) but has a multi-position antenna on the end. Works a treat.

I have on on my main Raspberry Pi 2B and I just put one on my old Model B and they both work a treat.

Sorry to derail...
Thanks for the recommendation.:) I have been looking for something like this and knowing it works is appreciated.

Tim,

I'll be happy to take 2.0t1 for a spin when you get it to the point where you would like the feedback. 1.9r1 is working well for me.

I have been interested in trying variations on the SoX upsampling. I like 24/192 Medium from the current choices. I would prefer to avoid adding another task to your ever-growing list, so I wanted to know if there were a file entry that I could edit to try some different possibilities? If I did that, it might not be reflected properly in the MPD configuration interface, or, possibly the Audio Info report, but it still might work.

Thanks,

Skip

Hi,

Glad to hear that 1.9 is working well for you and thanks for offering to test!

For sure 2.0 tr1 will be a public release and will be available from the Test Code button on tcmods.org. There are a couple of users whose DAC's don't work with Moode (3.18.5 kernel) so I'm hoping one of the new kernels fixes that.

Also, due to the nature of one of the ALSA changes in the new kernels I have no way of knowing whether DAC's other than the 3 that I use for testing, are going to be handled by "new ALSA" in the same way so a bit of feedback will help me code for any ALSA surprises.

MPD supports five SoX recipes, three of which are included in the Moode dropdown list. I left off the "low" and "quick" recipes.
Resampler plugins

Apparently there are other recipes and options in SoX that MPD is not coded to expose yet. Hopefully they will appear in a future release.
Music Player Daemon • View topic - sox resampling in mpd manual but not in source

Regards,
Tim

Tim,

Your MPD link was very informative to me. I had thought that your were upsampling prior to feeding data to MPD. It would seem that the interactions of ALSA, MPD and SoX are not the simplest.

My interest comes from a thread on the moribund Community Squeeze effort,

Upsampling Impressions

This is John Swenson's comments from late 2013. In post #5 he discusses the parameters that define the upsampling and that was where I was looking for a handle.

It sounds like this is not a quick and easy thing.

Skip

Hi Tim,
I am experiencing an issue with the Playback History Feature using Firefox 38.0 on Linux (Ubuntu).

The History window doesn't pop-up. In fact nothing happens at all.
Perhaps also related - In the Customize window I can't select Yes or No for History Logging.
Actually to be correct, I can Select these options but the option dialog stays blank after the Selection is made.

However, if I use Chrome from my Android Tablet, then the History Feature works perfectly - as does the Customize > Logging option.

This is not really an issue for me, but let me know if you need any log files, or output from the Firefox WebConsole if you wish to troubleshoot this issue.

Cheers,
John.
John, I am using Firefox 38.0 on Ubuntu and Playback History works fine...
Maybe try with Firefox add-ons disabled to see if they are the problem..?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2015-06-05 10:01:10.png
    Screenshot from 2015-06-05 10:01:10.png
    322.6 KB · Views: 303
I am having an issue with R1.9

I built a basic Raspberry Pi B 512MB unit using 1.8 for the missus to use as an internet radio.

It is just using the built-in headphone jack.

It worked fine under 1.8, but now - nada sound. Everything else works fine, all the menus are the same settings as before, but no noise.

The output from aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 7/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

And amixer:

Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback -10239 - 400
Mono: Playback -4917 [50%] [-49.17dB] [on]

Using mpg123 on my other 1.9-enabled devices works perfectly, but no sound from the basic non-i2s Pi.

Anything else I can check? (I will revert to 1.8, just to prove it works.)

EDIT: speaker-test produces white noise, aplay plays a toon, but can't get anything out of Moode.

Last edited:

I built a basic Raspberry Pi B 512MB unit using 1.8 for the missus to use as an internet radio.

It worked fine under 1.8, but now - nada sound. Everything else works fine, all the menus are the same settings as before, but no noise.

Using mpg123 on my other 1.9-enabled devices works perfectly, but no sound from the basic non-i2s Pi.

Hi,

No need to revert to 1.8. It may be a bug in 1.9 that is causing a bad configuration for on-board audio device. I'll need some information from you from the 1.9 Pi.

Please send an email (tim at tcmods dot org) with output from the following cmd, plus the values in the specified fields on the System config and MPD config screens.

(1) cat /etc/mpd.conf
(2) MPD config screen: Audio output and Volume control
(3) System config screen: I2S Audio device and ALSA volume

Thanks!

Regards,
Tim

Tim,

Your MPD link was very informative to me. I had thought that your were upsampling prior to feeding data to MPD. It would seem that the interactions of ALSA, MPD and SoX are not the simplest.

My interest comes from a thread on the moribund Community Squeeze effort,

Upsampling Impressions

This is John Swenson's comments from late 2013. In post #5 he discusses the parameters that define the upsampling and that was where I was looking for a handle.

It sounds like this is not a quick and easy thing.

Skip

Hi,

Thats a really interesting John Swenson thread, thanks!

My understanding of MPD audio pipeline when resampling is enabled is the following:

Input (file/stream) -> MPD (decode) -> SoX (resample) -> ALSA (output) -> Audio Device

If MPD volume normalization DSP were enabled, that would happen after MPD decodes the input, but before resampling, I think.

Regards,
TC

EDIT: speaker-test produces white noise, aplay plays a toon, but can't get anything out of Moode.

Hi,

Did u try checking/setting ALSA volume on the System config page? If u have MPD set for Software volume then ALSA volume should be set to 0dB point i.e., 100%.

FYI, when making MPD or ALSA volume setting changes, make sure nothing is playing and clock radio is turned off, and/or your audio system's volume control, if it has one, is turned way down. Then after the setting change, verify the volume knob is at an appropriate level,

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

So far so good running new kernels 3.18.11 and 3.18.14 with ALSA coding changes in Moode 2.0.

All tests successful on Pi-1B and 2B with my 3 DAC's. :)

I think the 0dB not = ALSA 100% issue for PCM5122 based DAC's is fixed in the new kernels. Alsamixer now shows a decibel value for my IQaudIO DAC+ and it says 0dB when the level is at 100%.

Regards,
Tim

Attachments

• moode-r20-sysconfig.png
    moode-r20-sysconfig.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 418
  • moode-r20-about.png
    moode-r20-about.png
    196.7 KB · Views: 406
  • alsamixer31814.png
    alsamixer31814.png
    56 KB · Views: 376
After some testing today on a R'Pi 2B:

HiFiBerry AMP+ still doesn't detect - you can select it, but it doesn't load. Which is strange because the snd_soc_tas5713 shows up in lsmod - doing more detecting, it's even listed on the example page of 'device trees' on raspberrypi.org. There must be a simple answer.

RTL8188-based wifi NICs don't detect - the driver is there, if you pull it out and put it back lsusb shows it inserted, but the driver doesn't load. (there's some easy answer to this - I was reading about RTL8188's recently - I'll do more digging)

The following is from a freshly-minted image - no configuration, other than selected the HifiBerry AMP+ in the system menu.

They are both being detected by the kernel:

lsmod
Code:
Module                  Size  Used by
nfsd                  263569  2 
ipv6                  333229  40 
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s     6637  0 
regmap_mmio             2961  1 snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
[B]snd_soc_tas5713         5006  0 [/B]
snd_seq                53078  0 
snd_seq_device          5628  1 snd_seq
[B]snd_soc_core          140253  2 snd_soc_tas5713[/B],snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
snd_compress            7610  1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm_dmaengine       3359  1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm                75388  2 snd_soc_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
snd_timer              17784  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
[B]regmap_i2c              2354  1 snd_soc_tas5713[/B]
snd                    51667  6 snd_soc_core,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_compress
i2c_bcm2708             4758  0 
uio_pdrv_genirq         2958  0 
uio                     8119  1 uio_pdrv_genirq
[B]r8188eu               435113  0[/B]

The RTL8188 is being recognised, but it looks like it doesn't like the driver:

Code:
[    3.563059] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8179
[    3.571441] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[    3.571454] usb 1-1.3: Product: 802.11n NIC
[    3.571460] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: Realtek
[    3.694328] r[B]8188eu: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.[/B]
[    3.713989] Chip Version Info: CHIP_8188E_Normal_Chip_TSMC_UNKNOWN_CUT(10)_1T1R_RomVer(0)
[    3.753860] usbcore: registered new interface driver r8188eu
[    3.947188] bcm2708_i2c_init_pinmode(1,2)
[    3.970625] bcm2708_i2c_init_pinmode(1,3)
[    4.069168] bcm2708_i2c 3f804000.i2c: BSC1 Controller at 0x3f804000 (irq 79) (baudrate 100000)
[    5.228947] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
[    5.265083] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
[    5.419247] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): Mount option "nouser_xattr" will be removed by 3.5
[    5.419247] Contact linux-ext4@vger.kernel.org if you think we should keep it.
[    5.419247] 
[    5.446024] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): re-mounted. Opts: nouser_xattr,errors=remount-ro
[    7.405826] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
[    8.452167] r8188eu 1-1.3:1.0: [B]Direct firmware load for rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin failed with error -2[/B]
[    8.464003] r8188eu 1-1.3:1.0: Firmware rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin not available
[    8.472526] MAC Address = 40:a5:ef:01:db:30
[    8.690544] usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, device number 4

Code:
root@moode:~# lsusb -t
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc_otg/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=hub, Driver=hub/5p, 480M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=vend., Driver=smsc95xx, 480M

EDIT: Solved the RTL8188: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/764 - it needs a firmware file that (for whatever reason) isn't included in the Raspbian build. I checked the /lib/firmware/rtlwifi directory and it has every other bloody device known to man, but not the most common - the RTL8188. Execute the following and reboot and it works immediately:

Code:
wget https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/raw/c83976d1dfb4793893158461430261562b3a5bf0/rtl8188eufw.bin  -O /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin

I'm sure the tas5713 problem is going to be equally as simple... progressing :)

I'm beaten... I've given up and gone back to Volumio and it worked out of the box. Is there anything in their config I can dig out that will help to resolve this problem in Moode?

An aside, but while researching I did notice a few complaints about tas5713's and Jessie - it could be that while it's bleeding edge, it just doesn't support the tas5713?

Hi! I`m very satisfied with the sound quality of moode-player. I´m using foobar (windows-laptop) as a server, bubbleUpnP on my tablet as controlpoint (but Idon´t need it, as I control everything through foobar) and moodeplayer as renderer. Is there a way to simplify this? It´s a little bothersome to use bubbleUpnP, it´s like an extra step. But without, I cant hear the stream. I wish to prepare moodeplayer in a way, that music starts just after foobar starts - without bubble Upnp. Is this possible?

Luki

Last edited:
Hi! I`m very satisfied with the sound quality of moode-player. I´m using foobar (windows-laptop) as a server, bubbleUpnP on my tablet as controlpoint (but Idon´t need it, as I control everything through foobar) and moodeplayer as renderer. Is there a way to simplify this? It´s a little bothersome to use bubbleUpnP, it´s like an extra step. But without, I cant hear the stream. I wish to prepare moodeplayer in a way, that music starts just after foobar starts - without bubble Upnp. Is this possible?

Luki

Well, I have an almost identical setup, in addition I use UPnPlay occasionally as a controlpoint.
I don't have a problem in fully controlling MoOde solely from foobar2k (using the upnp-plugin)
View -> UPnP Controller (takes some time to populate): submitting a playlist (to Moode UPNP:Upmpdcli (Playlist),
changing volume, stopping, pauzing, resuming, muting, detaching as a controlpoint etc..
What function is it that you can't control directly from foobar2k?
(see attached)

Attachments

• Moode-1.9-Moode-foobar2k-UPNP-20150608b.jpg
    Moode-1.9-Moode-foobar2k-UPNP-20150608b.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 327
I'm beaten... I've given up and gone back to Volumio and it worked out of the box. Is there anything in their config I can dig out that will help to resolve this problem in Moode?

An aside, but while researching I did notice a few complaints about tas5713's and Jessie - it could be that while it's bleeding edge, it just doesn't support the tas5713?

Hi,

Here are a couple of troubleshooting steps that you can try from ssh session.

(1) Confirm that ALSA volume is not 0
alsamixer

(2) Try the module drivers instead of the device tree overlay driver. The overlay driver is configured by Moode when selecting Hifiberry Amp/Amp+

(a) In /boot/config.txt, remove this line
dtoverlay=hifiberry-amp

(b) In /etc/modules, add these lines. They should be the only lines in the file.
snd_soc_bcm2708
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_hifiberry_amp

(c) Reboot

Regards,
TC

Hi Silicium,

now. at home, I tried this and tried that with foobar`s Upnp controller. All i got was something that sounds like played backward. My tablet was not active. I already knew this from using BubbleUpnp on my android tablet. There I can avoid this issue by opening the properties of the playback stream captures, tap on "Show metadata", tap on the link http://192.168.0.102:56923/content/...av?profile_id=0&convert=wav&samplerate=192000 - and everything is ok. I have no idea what´s going on there.

Luki