Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2017, 08:41 PM   #8081
JST1963 is offline JST1963  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Request for future version:
In the library, under the Tracks, please add the tag for the MP3 rating...
I have over 3000 albums and I tagged every single track with a rating. So when I view the library I want to be able to select "my favs" immediately.

Thx,
JST
Old 1st June 2017, 08:45 PM   #8082
TheOldPresbyope is offline TheOldPresbyope  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootalaws View Post
I just read this post about a change to the analog audio on the Pi: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=29&t=136445

Great for testing before committing to a HAT or USB DAC.
To answer my earlier question to Zootalaws about this new analog audio driver, yes, it works with current MoOde Player. I tested with r37 on an RPi2B.

Adding audio_pwm_mode=2 to /boot/config.txt and rebooting gets me tolerable audio using an old set of powered speakers I had in the closet (L-R+subwoofer) which uses a 3.5mm stereo plug compatible with the RPi2B.

These aren't audiophile-quality speakers so it's hard for me to talk about improved fidelity. I've only been listening for an hour or so. I think it sounds cleaner and definitely the annoying background hiss so evident with the default setting is gone (audio_pwm_mode defaults to 1 if none is specified). The driver author claims the noise floor approximates that of a CD-quality DAC and I can't say it isn't so. So far, I haven't experienced any stoppages as were discussed over a year ago in the Raspberry Pi Forum thread when the driver was first announced.

Most definitely useful for testing.

Thanks again, Zootalaws
Regards,
Kent
Old 1st June 2017, 09:24 PM   #8083
TimCurtis is offline TimCurtis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST1963 View Post
Request for future version:
In the library, under the Tracks, please add the tag for the MP3 rating...
I have over 3000 albums and I tagged every single track with a rating. So when I view the library I want to be able to select "my favs" immediately.

Thx,
JST
I don't think MPD supports this tag.
https://www.musicpd.org/doc/protocol/tags.html

-Tim
Old 1st June 2017, 09:30 PM   #8084
Zootalaws is offline Zootalaws  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPresbyope View Post
To answer my earlier question to Zootalaws about this new analog audio driver, yes, it works with current MoOde Player. I tested with r37 on an RPi2B.

Adding audio_pwm_mode=2 to /boot/config.txt and rebooting gets me tolerable audio using an old set of powered speakers I had in the closet (L-R+subwoofer) which uses a 3.5mm stereo plug compatible with the RPi2B.

These aren't audiophile-quality speakers so it's hard for me to talk about improved fidelity. I've only been listening for an hour or so. I think it sounds cleaner and definitely the annoying background hiss so evident with the default setting is gone (audio_pwm_mode defaults to 1 if none is specified). The driver author claims the noise floor approximates that of a CD-quality DAC and I can't say it isn't so. So far, I haven't experienced any stoppages as were discussed over a year ago in the Raspberry Pi Forum thread when the driver was first announced.

Most definitely useful for testing.

Thanks again, Zootalaws
Regards,
Kent
You're welcome. For me it brings cheap multi room for my teacher wife, a source of quick and dirty electronic toys for xmas, etc.

Now if only I could buy 10x Pi Zero W in one go... shipping rates are more than the cost of the unit, and when you can only buy one... I might move to a compatible.
Old 1st June 2017, 09:39 PM   #8085
JST1963 is offline JST1963  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCurtis View Post
I don't think MPD supports this tag.
Hmmm...good point.... How 'bout "Comment"?
I can transfer the rating tag to the comment tag. If left's say the first 5 chars of the comment tag are visible, then I can show 5 asterisks (it doesn't have to be limited to 5 chars but you can't of course make the complete tag visible...who knows what people put in there

JST
Old 1st June 2017, 09:42 PM   #8086
sinski is offline sinski
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWoB View Post
Hi all,

something is still not clear for me: why should it be an advantage to bypass the internal oversampling filter on a Boss DAC (SoX 32bit 384 kHz)? Is it a good idea to bypass internal FIR-filter? Do you think the PCM5122 chip designer don't know what they are doing?

Btw: the very expensive Chord DACs are well-known for their extreme complex FIR-filters. That's why people spend 2000+ for such DACs ...

Another point: is it a good idea to let the MPD do the upsampling stuff to 384 kHz. Maybe an easy job for 96 kHz files (*4), but not so easy for 88.2 kHz files (*4.354...) ?

Another question: SoX quality. Is there any use case not to use "Very high quality"? I see no difference in CPU load or something else ... so what?

Regards Tom
Some people claims, that it sounds better, when sox will do the upsampling and dac is not doing this. At the begining with Pi and Dac + pro i was prefering hardware volume control and no sox upsampling, now when i upgraded with three good power supplies i did more tests and i settled with software volume control and very high quality upsampling. Differences are very small.
Maybe it is my illusion, maybe not ... It costs nothing (only time) to check it yourself and make your own opinion.
Old 1st June 2017, 11:13 PM   #8087
diyAudio Member

DAC chips like PCM5122 are compute limited so I'd guess their DSP is pretty basic compared to something like SoX running on a Pi CPU, but since there is no published source code for PCM5122 there is no way to really know what their interpolation algorithm is doing or how it compares technically to SoX.
https://github.com/chirlu/soxr
Old 1st June 2017, 11:54 PM   #8088
Skip Pack is offline Skip Pack  United States
diyAudio Member

Default From the Moode wayback machine

I posted this reference back in 2015 here in the Moode forum. Your questions about software upsampling versus doing it in the DAC chip are discussed by John Swenson. My experience since has been consistent with his discussion. Yes the differences are not huge, but real to my old ears.

Skip
Old 2nd June 2017, 02:07 AM   #8089
Tweekster is offline Tweekster  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi All,

New user to Moode 3.7, Pi3 with a HifiBerry DAC+ Pro, but plenty of experience with amp building/repair, DAC's, digital audio, and Linux servers.

I'm having a VERY bad pop problem when changing tracks between 24/96 FLAC files.

Current setup - Pi3 with HifiBerry DAC+ Pro in HifiBerry metal case. Cheap Vilros 2.5A power supply, but will build a better linear power supply later. WiFi/BT tuned off, using Ethernet hardwire with a static IP. 32GB Lexar USB stick for test music library loaded with 16/44.1 and 24/96 FLAC files. Fresh download of Moode 3.7 on Samsung 32 EVO+ SD. Basic minimum Moode setup with DAC driver set, etc.

Symptoms - I can load the playlist with 16/44.1 FLAC files and easily switch between them using a Win10 or iPad browser with only a faint crackle. I downloaded the HDTracks sampler, which is all 24/96 FLAC files. If I manually switch between 24/96 tracks I get a very loud (almost speaker blowing) pop! And this happens everytime, not just sporadically. If I mix 16/44.1 files with 24/96 files in the playlist, I can switch between the 16/44.1 files with only a faint crackle, but if I switch from 16/44.1 to 24/96 I get the huge POP, and the same pop switching between random 24/96 files. If I let the playlist just play in order it never pops between 16/44.1 FLAC files, but I still get the occasional big pop when it goes from 16/44.1 to 24/96.

Things tried - Set Pi3 CPU governor to Performance to see if it's power issue, but no change. Tried different computers with different browsers, but no change. Tried turning off everything not used like BT/WiFi, etc, ,but no change. Kind of wondering if it has anything to do with the dual clock chips on DAC+ Pro, since it has to change between clocks, but that wouldn't explain the pop between 24/96 tracks unless the clocks reset each time.

The only work around so far is to turn the volume to 0, change tracks, and reset the volume.

Thoughts?
Old 2nd June 2017, 02:18 AM   #8090
diyAudio Member

Hi @Tweekster,

Very odd but I'd like to investigate.

Email me link to the tracks you referenced and I'll try and repro on one of my systems.

What is Hifiberry DAC+ Pro connected to?

When u say switching between tracks do you mean clicking directly on Playlist item or pressing next/prev?

-TIm

Last edited by TimCurtis; 2nd June 2017 at 02:23 AM. Reason: eta

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry PiHide this!Advertise here!