Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I have a simple question, as I am having some trouble trying to get to the interface for this thing.

The "Readme" on the TCMods site says to go to "http://moode" when booted and connected to a network.

When I do this, depending on the browser I either get nothing at all, or the Moode college site (mode.com). The address for this device seems weird in that it has no .com, .org, etc. so I'm wondering if this is a typo or if there is something I am missing.

I really appreciate all the hard work on this project, but am frustrated that the instructions on the site don't seem to work for me. I do have it booted properly as near as I can tell, and it is showing up when I scan the network.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

Just send me an email (tim at tcmods dot org) and I'll troubleshoot :) Email is best since sometimes there is a need to exchange screen shots, files, etc.

Regards,
Tim

Still the way to go would be to fill the input buffer first and then start the playback, like e.g. mplayer does it (-cache + -cache-min). Perhaps MPD can be configured a bit in that respect?

That's what I do with squeezelite. squeezelite offers two main buffers that can be freely configured as high as RAM availability allows. The stream-in buffer and the processing buffer (from there PCM goes straight to the interface/Alsa). If the buffers are big enough (covering a full track at least) , you'll see a peak load for 2/3 seconds in the beginning and then CPU load goes below 1%. Even on my combined PI2 SoA-client/server.

Anyhow. I'm back to SqueezeOnArch (SoA). Made it work on a PI2 now.
Moode was a nice try. It's very well done and working. Same league as Volumio and Rune.
But it's not what I'd call a network (server/client) solution.
Beside that it's not supporting Qobuz. Meanwhile that's a NoGo for me.

Good luck. Enjoy.

Well - I am using MoOde just since the 1.8 release.
I am not sure what @soundcheck refers to as a "network solution" for his audio listening.
My current scenario employs the raspi2/HifiBerry DAC+ with
MoOde as a DLNA/UPnP renderer only.

I have two fully fledged DLNA servers running in my network which are much better suited to that task than the raspi2 regarding processing/network capabilities.

My NAS runs it's own DLNA server anyway, why use another with less capabilities/facilities on the raspi2?
And for managing my music library and occasionally serving as a DLNA server I am using foobar2k btw.

Both DLNA servers are much faster and more powerfull (internal connect or 1 GBit/s, extended and/or customizable mediatrees)
than the current mpd DLNA server employed by MoOde.

I am using BubbleUPnp/UPnPlay on Android and foobar2k as DLNA controllers to submit/manage playlists and control MoOde in general.

All works satisfactorily

regards silicium

Last edited:
I have a simple question, as I am having some trouble trying to get to the interface for this thing.

The "Readme" on the TCMods site says to go to "http://moode" when booted and connected to a network.

When I do this, depending on the browser I either get nothing at all, or the Moode college site (mode.com). The address for this device seems weird in that it has no .com, .org, etc. so I'm wondering if this is a typo or if there is something I am missing.

I really appreciate all the hard work on this project, but am frustrated that the instructions on the site don't seem to work for me. I do have it booted properly as near as I can tell, and it is showing up when I scan the network.

Any suggestions?
Just send me an email (tim at tcmods dot org) and I'll troubleshoot :) Email is best since sometimes there is a need to exchange screen shots, files, etc.

Regards,
Tim
Hi,

Just an fyi in case anyone else runs into the same issue - the fix for this was to use "http://moode.local" instead of "http://moode"

I've updated the setup instructions (readme.txt) with a note

Regards,
Tim

Well - I am using MoOde just since the 1.8 release.
I am not sure what @soundcheck refers to as a "network solution" for his audio listening.
My current scenario employs the raspi2/HifiBerry DAC+ with
MoOde as a DLNA/UPnP renderer only.

I have two fully fledged DLNA servers running in my network which are much better suited to that task than the raspi2 regarding processing/network capabilities.

My NAS runs it's own DLNA server anyway, why use another with less capabilities/facilities on the raspi2?
And for managing my music library and occasionally serving as a DLNA server I am using foobar2k btw.

Both DLNA servers are much faster and more powerfull (internal connect or 1 GBit/s, extended and/or customizable mediatrees)
than the current mpd DLNA server employed by MoOde.

I am using BubbleUPnp/UPnPlay on Android and foobar2k as DLNA controllers to submit/manage playlists and control MoOde in general.

All works satisfactorily

regards silicium

Hi,

Glad to hear this is working nicely for you :) I've been learning a lot about UPnP this past month!

There are some enhancements to the UPnP renderer coming in release 1.9 including album art display, improved metadata handling and a fix for play/pause control.

Also a big fix to the configuration of miniDLNA!

Regards,
Tim

Thanks for the help, Tim, I did get it up and running. I hate to bother you with a bunch of newbie questions, but I am determined to get this working if I can.

I have a couple more questions:

- I'm trying to run a Sabre 9023 i2s DAC sold on eBay as a Beaglebone DAC by a seller named "Sellarz." I have the setting on generic i2s DAC. Any experience with this one, or reason to think it will or will not run? I have had a few times when the player could not be found on moode.local when the DAC is plugged in. Is that the normal behavior when the DAC is not supported?

- I have a large hard drive (2TB, about 1.3 tb of WAV files right now) attached and scanned into the database. On the browse menu playlist, every tune displays individually without the Alphabetical (A, B, C folders, etc)/artists/albums/songs structure I had on the hard drive, each with the term "radio station" under it. It does display the file path: USB/A/Artist/Album/Song, but it makes for a very long list and a very cluttered interface. Is there any way to preserve or recreate that structure in the playlist? If I have to select every song from a list of 30,000 or so songs, it's very inconvenient. For a large collection like this, it's just not practical. It appears that you can't play a song it it's not on the playlist--right? Thoughts?

Thanks for the help, Tim, I did get it up and running. I hate to bother you with a bunch of newbie questions, but I am determined to get this working if I can.

I have a couple more questions:

- I'm trying to run a Sabre 9023 i2s DAC sold on eBay as a Beaglebone DAC by a seller named "Sellarz." I have the setting on generic i2s DAC. Any experience with this one, or reason to think it will or will not run? I have had a few times when the player could not be found on moode.local when the DAC is plugged in. Is that the normal behavior when the DAC is not supported?

- I have a large hard drive (2TB, about 1.3 tb of WAV files right now) attached and scanned into the database. On the browse menu playlist, every tune displays individually without the Alphabetical (A, B, C folders, etc)/artists/albums/songs structure I had on the hard drive, each with the term "radio station" under it. It does display the file path: USB/A/Artist/Album/Song, but it makes for a very long list and a very cluttered interface. Is there any way to preserve or recreate that structure in the playlist? If I have to select every song from a list of 30,000 or so songs, it's very inconvenient. For a large collection like this, it's just not practical. It appears that you can't play a song it it's not on the playlist--right? Thoughts?

Hi,

(1) I have the setting on generic i2s DAC

Try the HifiBerry DAC+ I2S driver. A lot of I2S DAC's for Raspberry Pi-2 will work with this driver

(2) a few times when player could not be found on moode.local when the DAC is plugged in. Is that the normal behavior when the DAC is not supported?

Player not found condition would be due to a network connectivity or name resolution issue and not related to DAC.

(3) about 1.3 tb of WAV files right now ... every tune displays individually without the Alphabetical (A, B, C folders, etc)/artists/albums/songs structure I had on the hard drive

This happens because the WAV files do not contain metadata tags i.e., Artist, Album, Song Title, etc. which are required by MPD (the music server used by Moode). The Library will not work either without metadata tags in the song files.

I'd suggest bulk converting the WAV files to FLAC format with utility that can attempt to build the metadata tags The dBpoweramp utility is a widely respected tool for this purpose. https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

(4) It appears that you can't play a song it it's not on the playlist--right?

Correct, MPD requires songs to be in the Playlist queue

Regards,
Tim

I started with WAV files because I had some primitive Chinese players I was using in search of better sound, and they wouldn't play anything else.

I know some of the proprietary players claim to be able to go out to the net (CDDB and elsewhere?) and add covers, etc. when ripping CDs. Is that what you're talking about with dBPowerAmp? I've got thousands of files that were recorded and ripped from old LPs and they don't always come up in CDDB. Would sure hate to have to rebuild all that by hand.

Thanks for the help.

I started with WAV files because I had some primitive Chinese players I was using in search of better sound, and they wouldn't play anything else.

I know some of the proprietary players claim to be able to go out to the net (CDDB and elsewhere?) and add covers, etc. when ripping CDs. Is that what you're talking about with dBPowerAmp? I've got thousands of files that were recorded and ripped from old LPs and they don't always come up in CDDB. Would sure hate to have to rebuild all that by hand.

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I was thinking that dBpoweramp or some other Conversion Utility could be used to batch convert your WAV files and in the process make a best effort at filling in the metadata tags either by Internet lookup of song filename or by using ArtistName/AlbumName from the folder structure containing the songs, if they are stored in that type of named folder structure.

This would not involve re-ripping the CD's.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Moode Audio Player release 1.9 is available for download at tcmods.org :)

This release includes new Playback history log, UPnP album art display, on-demand help/info system, great new Radio stations and a variety of code updates, improvements and bug fixes inluding a major fix to miniDLNA server config. Refer to the release notes below and attached screen shots.

Highlights:

(1) The Playback history log provides type down search and each log item contains a Google search link for song/album/artist. The log is server-based so no need for the Player UI to be running.

(2) The UPnP album art feature provides display of album art from UPnP/DLNA servers thanks to some nice coding from Jean-Francois Dockes, author of the excellent upmpdcli UPnP renderer included in Moode.

(3) System and Playback history logs can be cleared via settings on System config page thus no need for ssh commands :)

(4) miniDLNA config fix prevents its folder tree from also being indexed by MPD causing N times the number of actual songs to be indexed.

Enjoy!

Regards,
tcmods.org
Moode on Twitter
TC

======================
1.9 Release 2015-05-30
======================

New features

- NEW: Playback history log w/type down search and Google song search
- NEW: Log maintenance for clearing System and Playback history logs
- NEW: UPnP renderer with Album art display and improved metadata handling
- NEW: Menu pick to reload page from server (useful on smartphones/tablets)
- NEW: On-demand help/infomation text

Media

- NEW: BBC Radio 1
- NEW: BBC Radio 2
- NEW: BBC Radio 4 FM
- NEW: BBC Radio 6 music
- NEW: San Diego's Jazz 88.3

Updates

- UPD: Add logic to handle play/pause for UPnP (http://) song files
- UPD: Improve logic for handling metadata for UPnP song files
- UPD: Display "Streaming source" instead of URL in Playlist when Title metadata not present
- UPD: Streamline theme change code to use one file set and in-place color value edits
- UPD: Streamline config pages by converting from block to on-demand help/infomation text
- UPD: Replace most hover help with on-demand help/information text
- UPD: Edit help text for MPD Volume normalization to indicate "converts to 16 bit"
- UPD: About popup contributions better reflect work from the RaspyFi/Volumio projects
- UPD: Add "Restart MPD" button to MPD config page for refreshing Browse panel if needed
- UPD: Add "Interf" to logic that makes the MPD config friendly name for Audio device
- UPD: Add RME Fireface UCX audio device to Audio Device Description database
- UPD: Add alias logo image for Alpha Music Detroit radio station
- UPD: Install htop interactive process viewer

Bug fixes

- FIX: DLNA server configuration issue causing N times indexing of songs
- FIX: White box border showing around volume knob during page refresh
- FIX: Long titles on Playlist not wrapping correctly
- FIX: Wrong initial value for friendlyname setting in /etc/upmpdcli.conf
- FIX: Position issue in Library Artists column

Attachments

• player-r19-1.png
    player-r19-1.png
    259.9 KB · Views: 360
  • player-r19-3.png
    player-r19-3.png
    251 KB · Views: 278
  • bbc_radio_one.png
    bbc_radio_one.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 268
  • Jazz883FMKSDS.png
    Jazz883FMKSDS.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 271
Hi Tim, I have been using the 1.9 release for 5 hours now listening to Folk UK. Wonderful as always.

Tried the Play History and get a drop-down box with 'search' in it. I have tried time, date, keywords, but get "0 items' for all...

Any hints as to how this works...:D

Cheers, Bob

thanks

First, thanks tppc for your patient work, some times ago I begined experimenting with raspberry pi as music platform since I had solid collection of loseless music on my hdd.
I'm using hifiberry digi, and I tried several platforms as pi-player, and standard volumio & rune players, and I must admit that your moode player is much better "sounding" than other platforms I tried, whatever is reason for it. I tried also audiophonics sabre dac, which is relatively good sounding and cheap piece of silicon, but when I changed this with old good redbook heavilly modified adcom gda 600 with pcm 63 d/a converter, (where I changed digital filtering with pmd 100, changed output opamps, power supply, and of course engaged resampling to 16/44 in moode) I must admit that this is huge advance in sound, almost like solid cd-transport ( I' ve modified vintage pioneer stable platter cd player)
Even internet radio stations with better streaming bitrate (hionline, linn radio, naim radio, radio caroline, etc.) are sounding decent. Since my old/new dac accepts hdcd signal, I enjoy my hdcd collection. Last Moode version has minor bugs (in my case problems with recognising usb path, in 1.8 version it worked when I installed ntfs driver, in 1.9 this works so far fine witihout problems on wifi, I can use bubble, I control it with tablet with sound@home android application...anyway heaven for potato,chips & beer couch guys.
Anyway good work and keep goin', I' gonna stick to your player man.:D;)