Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Greetings!
New Moode-user here. Being a log time debian and Ubuntu-user I feel at home on the moode :)
Props to Tim - this is a rather amazing little piece of software. It just works.

For the record my TEAC UD-H01 dac was just recognised. Should I add it to a database somewhere?

A few questions - (they might have been answered somewhere - but it is a daunting task to go through three forum-threads :) Please bare with me ):
- Disabling resampling sounds absolutely amazing when playing files with sample rate 44.1 kHz. Everything else doesn't work and just produces noise. Is it it possible to play 96kHz/24 bit (or even 192 Khz) without resampling? The DAC can handle it. Oh.. and the radiostations is also just noise without resampling. (which might make sense, since they probably transmit in lower resolution)
- Tidal integration is sorely missed when moving away from the Squeezebox. Any chances here in a future release?
- Is the format for adding radiostations documented somewhere? I would like to have the danish radio stations handy :)

/kristian

Greetings!
New Moode-user here. Being a log time debian and Ubuntu-user I feel at home on the moode :)
Props to Tim - this is a rather amazing little piece of software. It just works.

For the record my TEAC UD-H01 dac was just recognised. Should I add it to a database somewhere?

A few questions - (they might have been answered somewhere - but it is a daunting task to go through three forum-threads :) Please bare with me ):
- Disabling resampling sounds absolutely amazing when playing files with sample rate 44.1 kHz. Everything else doesn't work and just produces noise. Is it it possible to play 96kHz/24 bit (or even 192 Khz) without resampling? The DAC can handle it. Oh.. and the radiostations is also just noise without resampling. (which might make sense, since they probably transmit in lower resolution)
- Tidal integration is sorely missed when moving away from the Squeezebox. Any chances here in a future release?
- Is the format for adding radiostations documented somewhere? I would like to have the danish radio stations handy :)

/kristian

Hi Kristian,

Try the USB UAC2 fix listed on moodeaudio.org under PLAYER FIXES button.

- no plans to integrate music services Tidal, Qubuz, Apple Music, Deezer, Spotify etc.

- To add radio station: Browse, RADIO, click on action menu then select "Create station"

- If u want to bulk copy radio station .pls files then access the "RADIO" samba share that Moode posts.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Kristian,

Try the USB UAC2 fix listed on moodeaudio.org under PLAYER FIXES button.
Thanks! It works. It seems I can play anything now.

192 kHz is sampled down?
I belive I read somewhere that maximum sample rate is 48 kHz at the moment?

Never the less - it sounds really good. Really an amazing piece of software.

I'll look into the radio stuff and leave Tidal to the Airplay option.

Btw: I tried another DAC: Trends UD-10. It works :)

Thanks,

Kristian

Hi,

Just a brief update on Moode 2.5+ code.

All major restructuring of the 2.5 code base is complete and 2.5+ looking solid on 4 of my systems :) A few of the nice internal improvements are listed below.

(1) Enhanced MPD idle loop for intelligent UI updating and super fast response.
(2) Startup code redesigned resulting in faster startup/boot
(3) Server generated metadata allowing headless LCD updating.

Working to get a Dec test release ready!

Regards,
Tim

Thanks! It works. It seems I can play anything now.

192 kHz is sampled down?
I belive I read somewhere that maximum sample rate is 48 kHz at the moment?

Never the less - it sounds really good. Really an amazing piece of software.

I'll look into the radio stuff and leave Tidal to the Airplay option.

Btw: I tried another DAC: Trends UD-10. It works :)

Thanks,

Kristian

Hi Kristian,

Glad to hear the UAC2 fix worked :) and I'll add the DACs to the device list in the Customize popup for Moode 2.5+, thanks.

24/192 rate is supported either via resampling or natively. Check the Audio info popup under "Output stream". This shows the actual rate sent to the audio device.

Hi Kristian,

Glad to hear the UAC2 fix worked :) and I'll add the DACs to the device list in the Customize popup for Moode 2.5+, thanks.

24/192 rate is supported either via resampling or natively. Check the Audio info popup under "Output stream". This shows the actual rate sent to the audio device.
Of course! The UD-10 is limited to 48 kHz. With the TEAC it goes to 192 kHz.

Thanks,

Kristian

Just getting started investigating the Raspberry Pi and thought I'd ask if it, and the MoOde will 'marry-up' with the Ayre Acoustic QB-9 usb dac (early version - 24 bit, 96k max)

I'm currently using jRiver V21 (Wisabi enabled) via Toshiba Laptop/Windows 7 as the main source with a LightSpeed Passive Volume Control into an 845 valve amp, etc

Just getting started investigating the Raspberry Pi and thought I'd ask if it, and the MoOde will 'marry-up' with the Ayre Acoustic QB-9 usb dac (early version - 24 bit, 96k max)

I'm currently using jRiver V21 (Wisabi enabled) via Toshiba Laptop/Windows 7 as the main source with a LightSpeed Passive Volume Control into an 845 valve amp, etc

Hi James,

It should work fine, and possibly at higher than 96 rate since the Linux USB driver is UAC2 and according to what I read the USB chipset in the device is also UAC2.

Couple things.

(1) since u are using an external volume control, set MPD volume control in Moode to "disabled". This will result in 100% volume (0dB) output from Moode.
(2) if after connecting the DAC and configuring Moode, playback produces white noise, apply the UAC2 fix listed at moodeaudio.org under PLAYER FIXES button.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim

While you are working for the new version, may I suggest to add a "% achieved" measurment while mpd database update is going on. For my 50.000+ library it takes something like an hour. It would reassure that everything is going well.

Kind Regards, and Mery Christmas too, don't forget to make a break (;-)
Jean-Louis

Hi Tim

While you are working for the new version, may I suggest to add a "% achieved" measurment while mpd database update is going on. For my 50.000+ library it takes something like an hour. It would reassure that everything is going well.

Kind Regards, and Mery Christmas too, don't forget to make a break (;-)
Jean-Louis

Hi Jean-Louis,

Is it possible to get a running % complete on MPD db update? If someone knows how to do this, I'll investigate :)

Enjoy the Holidays!

Regards,
Tim

Hi Daniel,

No plans for any cross-platform coding. A single platform provides more than enough challenge :)

Regards,
Tim

We can well understand that and your dedication and support is simply astonishing Tim :xmasman:

The thing is the Pi is maybe a little bit underspecified to be the best HW platform for audio.

But on another hand, Volumio and Runeaudio teams seem to have a hard time delivering on several platform, although probably working like crazy.

From the users selfish point of view, best of both worlds may be to have a coordination between 3 teams, one common design and several porting and supports teams for each of the platform, but that may not be compatible with DIY spirit, I dunno ? :D

Jean-Louis

We can well understand that and your dedication and support is simply astonishing Tim :xmasman:

The thing is the Pi is maybe a little bit underspecified to be the best HW platform for audio.

But on another hand, Volumio and Runeaudio teams seem to have a hard time delivering on several platform, although probably working like crazy.

From the users selfish point of view, best of both worlds may be to have a coordination between 3 teams, one common design and several porting and supports teams for each of the platform, but that may not be compatible with DIY spirit, I dunno ? :D

Jean-Louis

I disagree that the Pi is underpowered for audio, in fact I'd say it was overpowered -- that GPU with 1080p h264 playback is totally wasted on an audio player.

My old Pi with 256MB RAM @ 700 MHz doesn't even break a sweat when running Moode. And now you can buy a Pi Zero with 512MB RAM and 1GHz clock speed for $5 or thereabouts! So why port it? There's no excuse not to own a Pi (apart from the current Zero shortage :D).

powering down?

Gentle persons:

The "Power off/Restart" functionality works great but what does one do if the Moode Player isn't reachable via Wifi/Ethernet? [Don't ask...life doesn't always go the way you plan]

The lack of any buttons on the RPi which can initiate an orderly shut-down sequence makes me worry about possibly corrupting the file system if I rudely yank the power. Am I just being a Nervous Nellie?

Regards,
Kent

Gentle persons:

The "Power off/Restart" functionality works great but what does one do if the Moode Player isn't reachable via Wifi/Ethernet? [Don't ask...life doesn't always go the way you plan]

The lack of any buttons on the RPi which can initiate an orderly shut-down sequence makes me worry about possibly corrupting the file system if I rudely yank the power. Am I just being a Nervous Nellie?

Regards,
Kent
Plug in a usb keyboard and type..
Code:
sudo shutdown -h now
enter

Don't just remove power as you are correct in thinking it can cause filesystem corruption.

Last edited: