Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I've now got a beta12 image up and running, and I've now connected it to my DAC, and I can play Radio Paradise (though don't think this is the uncompressed stream, but sounds good) I can play FLAC from my server, and that sounds superb.
I can now see Moode as a player on my Logitech Media Server, and LMS thinks it's playing, but it isn't. Is there something else I need to do, or is it still 'broken'?

Agreement

You're absolutely right.

@HeeBoo's procedure (Page 1193 / #11930) differs only slightly from your original approach and offers hardware independancy (no need of an USB SD Card Writer) for most of the users.

The manual download and write of an image had to be done previously too.

The real work is done - completely unattended over several reboots - in mosbuild.sh.

Regards, Klaus

Hello,
Yes, I doesn't want change anything to the actual process, just add the option to "update" raspbian to moOde without modify too much the Koda's script.
And yes, if the script is updated on the moOde server we have less step to made the update, it's really a good idea.

I'm just back home, so i test the bluetooth now, and after i see how to improve the "Installation Methodology(c)" for remove more step... but maybe i have to understand how moOde Audio works for improve the installation process, so i need some time to do this but i'm on it !

Bluetooth

Hi,

I've never been able to get my Mac to connect. It always disconnects after a few seconds. No issues with my iPhone and iPad but my iPad always takes a few tries.

On your clients first try turning BT off/on then on the Pi start the SCAN. Then wait a bit and try to connect.

-Tim

OK, i have made it with my phone, thank you !
Not with my mac, but i'have already made it with my old RPi2... i will testing this later !

Thank you Tim

Bluetooth interruption

Hi,
I am able to connect my android device to rpi through Bluetooth. But while playing any track, it breaks at every few seconds with a chirp and plays again.
My set up:-
RPi3 with allo boss dac
MoOde 4 beta 12 built using automated image builder
MoOde os running on 16gb SD card.
3amps power supply which came bundled with allo boss player

Phase 1 Good Phase 2 not so lucky

Just wanted to let everyone know, that after having some problems, I started from scratch and got Moode Audio 4.0, Beta 12, up a running last night on a Raspberry Pi3.

A couple orders of business first.

1.) Thanks Tim for Moode Audio; and,
2.) Thanks again, koda59 for the build script.

I used a Mac, macOS, for interfacing with the Raspberry Pi3, and the building of the image.

For those that are intimidated by 4.0 and the associated necessity of building your own image, I feel your fears are largely unwarranted. Frankly, the build script is but three lines of text that you can copy and paste, directly from the Moode Audio website.

That said, I think where the confusion and/or trouble for most comes in now is in what I'll call general familiarity with computing and the Raspberry Pi. At least, I feel, that was the case for me.

I also think it might be helpful to tell someone, about to engage in an image build of Moode Audio 4.0 what they need in terms of hardware, in advance, if you will. For instance, here's what I used:

- a first microSD card (Generally, this microSD card will have Raspbian Lite on it, be inserted into the micro SD card slot on the Raspberry Pi, and is used to run the Raspberry Pi during the image build process.)

- a microSD card to USB adapter

- a second microSD card (This microSD card is inserted into the microSD card to USB adapter, and is plugged into a USB port on the Raspberry Pi, and is the "target" drive for the image file. Once the image is created or built on this microSD card, it is inserted into the Raspberry Pi, and that is the one you'll run on going forward, listening to music.)

Another thing I think might be helpful to tell a "novice" is that there are really sort of two "phases" to the build each associated with a different microSD card. These, what I just called "phases", referred to as "steps" in the prompting, only the second of which is specifically mentioned - frankly, the script was a bit confusing for me in the prompting here. I'm not sure I use the term "step"...just, a friendly suggestion...to make us all better off...

Here's what I did.

1. On my Mac, I downloaded Raspbian Lite from the Internet, and once downloaded, it unzipped.

2. On my Mac, I downloaded Etcher from the Internet and installed it.

3. Using an adapter that came with the microSD cards, I inserted the microSD card into the SDXC card slot on my Mac. I then used Etcher, to burn the Raspbian Lite image to a first microSD card. Alternatively, you could the aforementioned microSD card to USB adapter and a USB port on your Mac, if your Mac doesn't have a SDXC card slot.

4. I removed and reinserted the adapter containing the microSD to be sure that the card, shown as "boot", appeared on my desktop.

5. On my Mac, I opened Terminal and entered the following command:

echo "" > /Volumes/boot/ssh

FYI: This puts a filed called "ssh", without any extension, on the boot volume so that you can ssh into the Raspberry Pi once this card is installed in the microSD card slot on the Raspberry Pi.

6. I remove the microSD card and inserted it into my Raspberry Pi3, connected the Raspberry Pi3 to my router, and powered it up.

7. On my Mac, I downloaded and installed PI Finder, see: Ivan X's Raspberry Pi Party

8. Run Pi Finder on my Mac - this tells you the IP address of your Raspberry Pi (make note of it) and prompts you, allowing you to login. Alternatively, you can use the IP address, and use Terminal on your Mac to issue the command:

ssh pi@[IP address]

and login.

9. Now that I was logged into the Raspberry Pi, I copied and paste each of the three lines at the bottom of the Moode Audio website in succession, see:

"Enter these commands via SSH on a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian.

1. Download the Image Builder

cd /home/pi
sudo wget -q http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/mos/mosbuild.sh -O /home/pi/mosbuild.sh
sudo chmod +x /home/pi/mosbuild.sh

2. Start the Image Builder

sudo ./mosbuild.sh

following the directions that appeared in Terminal along the way...

10. When prompted, I powered down the Raspberry Pi, remove the first microSd card from the Raspberry Pi and inserted the second microSD card that was in the microSD to USB adapter, and powered the Raspberry Pi back on - the building of the imaging continuing on...the build script refers to this as "step 2".

11. After 30-45 minutes, on my Mac, in Safari, I entered "moode.local" into the browser.

12. As before with Moode Audio 3.8.x, I made the necessary configuration changes in Moode Audio 4.0, beta 12, to run on wireless and to select by DAC...etc.

That's it. Hope this write up helps someone!

Appreciate your guide. Took as shot and Phase 1 went smoothly. Attempted Phase 2 powered down and inserted the sdcard from Phase 1 and powered up RPi3. Saw a green light flicker for only a few minutes then nothing so I tried to ssh into RPi3 to monitor progress but I got no where. " port 22: Operation timed out". Powered down and tried several more times, same result timed out. I then put the sdcard with raspian and was able to get back in via ssh.

Not sure where to go from this point. I have read some have had trouble with multi-card USB readers but not sure that is my problem as Phase 1 did not present any issues.

Hopefully, others will read this message and have suggestions. Thanks again for a well written explanation of the process.

Hi,
I am able to connect my android device to rpi through Bluetooth. But while playing any track, it breaks at every few seconds with a chirp and plays again.
My set up:-
RPi3 with allo boss dac
MoOde 4 beta 12 built using automated image builder
MoOde os running on 16gb SD card.
3amps power supply which came bundled with allo boss player

I too have had the same experience with Android phone but when I used my IPad music / podcasts played just fine. My phone is MotoG5 plus. This has happened since I moved to Beta10 upto Beta12. I am running rPi3 with Allo Piano 2.1 DAC with Kali.

Appreciate your guide. Took as shot and Phase 1 went smoothly. Attempted Phase 2 powered down and inserted the sdcard from Phase 1 and powered up RPi3. Saw a green light flicker for only a few minutes then nothing so I tried to ssh into RPi3 to monitor progress but I got no where. " port 22: Operation timed out". Powered down and tried several more times, same result timed out. I then put the sdcard with raspian and was able to get back in via ssh.

Not sure where to go from this point. I have read some have had trouble with multi-card USB readers but not sure that is my problem as Phase 1 did not present any issues.

Hopefully, others will read this message and have suggestions. Thanks again for a well written explanation of the process.

Hi @onionhead. So, if I understand, you have started the build script successfully and then, when prompted, swapped the initial Raspbian SD card for the new target SD card (the one that will contain moOde when it has finished building) and rebooted the Pi? Is it after this that you think it is failing?

I found that the final part of the build took some time with my Pi2 -- possibly close to an hour. I successfully monitored the progress by periodically using HeeBoo's ssh command. At this stage the password required to access the Pi was "moodeaudio".

Richard

I waited about an hour before even trying to monitor but never was able to connect to RPi3. I used my routers management software to discover the known ip address but it never could find it. Will give a go tomorrow.

I see, something wrong there. I'll add that my Pi2 was connected via ethernet, I didn't attempt setting up WiFi during the build process.

If you can mount the failed moOde SD card in Raspian or another OS, have a look at /home/pi/mosbuild.log to see if there is any info about where it is failing.

Last edited:
NAS connection not working or showing up in Browse on UI: SOLVED

Hi Tim

Reran step 7 from recipe 2.2 as suggested and sure enough it showed the NAS folder wasn't created, part of log shown:

pi@moode:~ $ sudo chmod -R 0755 /var/local/www
pi@moode:~ $ sudo mkdir /var/lib/mpd/music/RADIO
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/var/lib/mpd/music/RADIO’: File exists
pi@moode:~ $ sudo mkdir /mnt/NAS
pi@moode:~ $ sudo mkdir /mnt/SDCARD
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/mnt/SDCARD’: File exists
pi@moode:~ $ sudo mkdir /mnt/UPNP
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/mnt/UPNP’: File exists

Checked on browser UI and NAS connection worked first time.

Thanks once again, I can also recommend HeeBoo's tweaking of the mosbuild.sh to use the one SDcard without the need for a USB card reader.
I wasted over a day on a duff SDcard.

Round Two !

Hello here !

@Tim & @Koda59: I've made some improvement to the mosbuild.sh
Now we don't need to change the "/boot/cmdline.txt" file, i have removed the resizefs.sh from the update methodology(c)

The step can be:
- Launch your raspbian install
- Download & launch the file in one line
- Choose to update to moOde Audio
- Configure and launch the install
- Wait...

But for this we need to also change mosbuild_worker.sh
i put the 2 files in the 'modified_mosbuild.zip'

For the others :

I've made a "proof of concept" file who work well on my RPis 'proofconcept.zip'

The step for proof of concept :

- Make an image of Raspbian lite
- Copy the mosbuild.sh (extract from proofconcept.zip) to the "boot" disk
- Make configuration for wifi and ssh if you don't have screen and keyboard plugged to the raspberry
- Insert the microSD into the RPi, start it and login in (ssh or directly with the keyboard)
- Move the script to the home directory and launch it :
Code:
sudo mv /boot/mosbuild.sh ~/
sudo ./mosbuild.sh
- Choose yes at the update to moOde Audio option
- Configure like you want your options and proceed !
- Wait... wait... wait... and see (Reminder ?):
For see the progress directly from an unix command line (replace ip.of.r.pi by the ip of your RPi):
Code:
ssh [email]pi@ip.of.r.pi[/email] "cat ~/mosbuild.log | grep 'COMPONENT\|STEP\| Compile \| END\| Error'"

Bye all

I'll be back for my real problems with moOde Audio, we can do better !

Attachments

• proofconcept.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 59
  • modified_mosbuild.zip
    12 KB · Views: 52
Hi,

Tim and others put a lot of work in this new version. But apart from the new equalizers: what improvement in sound quality do you expect? Are there improvements? Did anyone of you "early adopters" could already hear some improvements?

curious

Luki

I'm actually hearing "less volume", at least when using just the pi, haven't heard using a DAC and proper headphones, but that's very first impression.

I see, something wrong there. I'll add that my Pi2 was connected via ethernet, I didn't attempt setting up WiFi during the build process.

If you can mount the failed moOde SD card in Raspian or another OS, have a look at /home/pi/mosbuild.log to see if there is any info about where it is failing.

As a non Linux person this is where is gets difficult for me. Would you mind adding just bit more detail about how to "look" at the log? Will not mount so could I use finder / text edit to look at log?