Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi, Tim.

Some time ago, you and Mike (@Zootalaws) had an exchange about the number of jobs option. As I read it, you asserted that simply invoking make was sufficient to build on as many cores as possible.

I don't see this behavior during my current build of r40b8 on an RPi3B.
I've tried three options while observing top in another terminal:

• make <- spawns one job on one core
  • make -j4 <- spawns four jobs on four cores
  • make -j <- keeps spawning jobs until the system becomes unresponsive

Regards,
Kent

Toldja :p

Sudo rm -rf /

Did a whole Solaris server like that once...

I was tres popular...

With Sol10 then disallowed it, so I mustn’t have been the only one :D

Hi, Mike.

It makes me cringe just to see it in print.

As I'm sure you've experienced, the trouble with declawing rm and commands like it is that the jaded user quickly acclimates to the 'safer' alternative.

Case in point, commands which echo "are you sure?" before they execute. User response: Of course I'm sure; that's why I typed it. So, 'y', do it. Oh, sh*t.

And it isn't just Unix. There were earlier 'teaching' moments in my life with OSes from IBM (I knew I was for it when the tape drive started spinning), Burroughs, CDC, DEC.

Regards,
Kent

PS - did you ever find a reasonable source for the RPi Zero? Not to rub salt in a wound, but my local Micro Center put RPi0Ws on sale this week for US$5. I can't tell if this is a loss leader to get hackers into the store or a sell-off of inventory because hackers don't come into the store. Either way, I can't pass it up.

Advanced ESS Sabre DACs require proprietary drivers to work in software mode.
Only in software mode advanced features of these DACs can be addressed.
Each of these DACs requires a separate MCU (micro computer) on board that controls the DAC chip in SW mode.
Only running it this way manufacturers are able to comply to the very strict ESS licensing rules.
The proprietary Linux audio driver is required to handle that manufacturer specific MCU implementation.
so many thx "Soundcheck" ! finally a real good explanation about the ES-Sabre-driver "szenario" and the problems with it !!
(btw. i was meanwhile so upset with this unsatisfying driver-support (and the unused capabilities of the sabre-chips (filter settings, HW-Volume support and so on) i started to learn/read out/modify these MCUs on these chinese-DIY-made boards via (in this case) this STM-"SWIM"-interface on these boards...very,very complex and difficult..
long story, short end: many thx for this explanation !! :)

hi Tim,
v1.8.
741 ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etcmake
742 sudo make -j $(nproc --all)

i think line#741 still has a typo :)
~H

Hi,

I don't see any typos in the ./configure line but the compile segfaults when run with the -j arg. if you use just plain "make" with no args then no issues, except that it takes a bit longer.

internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
_Map_base<_Key, _Pair, _Alloc, _Select1st, _Equal,
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
_H1, _H2, _Hash, _RehashPolicy, _Traits, true>::
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks like this particular compile does not like to run on multiple cores :-0

I'll update the recipe later today and upload a new version (v1.9)

-Tim

Hi,

I don't see any typos in the ./configure line but the compile segfaults when run with the -j arg. if you use just plain "make" with no args then no issues, except that it takes a bit longer.

-Tim
humm,
i just thought /etcmake has to be /etc instead.

Audiophonics ES9028 with Kali - no sound

Hi Guys,

I installed Moode 4.0.8 on Audiophonics ES9028 (kali edition) with Kali reclocker. I choose Audiophonics ES9028 driver in the web interface and set volume to 100% but there is no sound :-(
Can you tell me if there are any additional steps needed. I am missing something?

Thanks
Jarek

Hi,

-Tim

Running out of memory?

Hi,

-Tim

Errm. I think Phil is on the right track but what model RPi were you using? I just built upmpdcli on a fresh install of r40b9 on an RPi3B and it ran to completion using 4 cores. I wasn't paying attention to the available memory though. Certainly possible it would have gone to zero on a board with half the RAM.

Regards,
Kent

Hang in there. You will get it right. The steps in option two of step 1 need to be completed in order for the following to be in place.

1. Have a clean ssh file in the boot directory so that ssh can be enabled on first boot.
2. create the wpa_supplicant.conf file in the boot directory which would be written to /etc/wpa_supplicant directory on first boot in order to connect to your wifi network. This step is optional as you can continue with the process using ethernet. It is crucial that you get the content of the wpa_supplicant.conf file exactly like in the build recipe with the exception that your SSID and passkey must be the correct ones for your wifi otherwise it will obviously not connect to the wifi.
3. edit the cmdline.txt file so that the auto resize process task is removed and to ensure that you can use standard interface names.

I had an instance where I created the wpa_supplicant.conf file and saved it to the boot directory but the RPi did not connect to the wifi at boot.

I then changed to the /etc/wpa-supplicant.conf directory and checked the content of the wpa_supplicant.conf file to find that not all the text had been saved for some reason. You can read and edit the content of the file using "sudo nano wpa_supplicant.conf" to make sure it is correct or to fix it if not. The moment I fixed the content and rebooted the RPI was connected to the wifi.

Have you been transacting on the RPI directly or did you ssh into it?

Typing in "http://moode" should take you to the web-based user interface of moode.

One question about creating the two files. I am on a MAC and use Finder(Explorer) to save the ssh and wpa_supplicant.conf files to the sd card.
My dumb question for the day. How do I know I am in boot directory? If I use Finder I am able to see a long list of files including the two I created.

Thanks

Installing gmusicapi

As a followup to my earlier message about installing gmusicapi:

gmusicapi has 24 dependencies. Some of these are already present at this stage of the build recipe and most are easily brought in via 'pip'. As I mentioned earlier, the killer is lxml which is a subdependency of gmusicapi via MechanicalSoup. It takes approximately forever to build it.

On a fresh r40b9 install, I got to the "COMPONENT 7 - Optionally install gmusicapi" step and first installed two of the dependencies via the apt repos:

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install python-future python-lxml

after which I ran
Code:
sudo pip install gmusicapi

It took just 2 minutes for the install to finish on my RPi3B.

Note that there are other dependencies available via the apt repos but I chose not to install them because there are "interesting" constraints imposed on acceptable versions which I chose to let 'pip' sort out.

Regards,
Kent

PS - don't get confused by the pip vs debian naming conventions. pip wants "lxml", which is not a reference to a C library but a Pythonic binding to the C libraries lxml2 and lxslt; debian offers it in the package "python-lxml".