Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

Does the DAC have on-board hardware volume controller?
- if it does, alsamixer will show a volume slider for the device

Prelim tests indicate that hot plugging breaks MPD coupling to ALSA hardware mixer. For example if DAC has h/w volume controller and MPD volume control set to "Hardware" then hotplug causes MPD volume control to become non-functional.

When testing be sure to check alsamixer after hotplug in case it is at 100!

Regards,
Tim
Tim,
the DAC has its own volume controller knob and remote which I use most of the time but I have Moode volume control set to Software at 100 so I can control the volume with browser or MPaD as well if I want.

Next I wanted to try Airplay to stream from iPhone/iPod but although I can choose the Airplay item OK and can play on the device I get no sound from Moode (nothing showing on the Moode playback screen either). I've tried this from several apps Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon from both devices but always silence. I just chose Airplay from the Config page and rebooted. Have I missed anything obvious?

Tim,
the DAC has its own volume controller knob and remote which I use most of the time but I have Moode volume control set to Software at 100 so I can control the volume with browser or MPaD as well if I want.

Next I wanted to try Airplay to stream from iPhone/iPod but although I can choose the Airplay item OK and can play on the device I get no sound from Moode (nothing showing on the Moode playback screen either). I've tried this from several apps Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon from both devices but always silence. I just chose Airplay from the Config page and rebooted. Have I missed anything obvious?

Hi,

On Moode System config page does ALSA volume (%) have a value in it or is it blank with message underneath "Hardware volume controller not detected"?

Are u using volume slider on IOS?

Regards,
TIm

Hi,

On Moode System config page does ALSA volume (%) have a value in it or is it blank with message underneath "Hardware volume controller not detected"?

Are u using volume slider on IOS?

Regards,
TIm

Tim,
ALSA volume was set at 0% so I set it to 100.
Shortly after that the Airplay icon disappeared from iOS so I rebooted Moode.
Played a FLAC from my USB ok after the reboot.
Airplay had come back after the reboot, connected from iOS, played from iOS but yet again no sound. Volume slider on iOS was on max.
Disconnected from Airplay and then tried to play a FLAC again but got no sound (was showing as playing on the Playback screen).
Rebooted again - playing FLAC from USB OK again.

how to "no root squash" ?

Hi,

I don't have nfs server to test with on my end but I found via google that adding the "no_root_squash" flag to the nfs export on the server may work.

Regards,
Tim
Hi all

May someone please elaborate a little bit for linux dummies like me:headbash:. I think it is a problem I have had with runeaudio, volumio and moode, never succeeded to access my new synology DS215 NAS

Thanks
Jean-Louis

Tim,
ALSA volume was set at 0% so I set it to 100.
Shortly after that the Airplay icon disappeared from iOS so I rebooted Moode.
Played a FLAC from my USB ok after the reboot.
Airplay had come back after the reboot, connected from iOS, played from iOS but yet again no sound. Volume slider on iOS was on max.
Disconnected from Airplay and then tried to play a FLAC again but got no sound (was showing as playing on the Playback screen).
Rebooted again - playing FLAC from USB OK again.

Hi,

Since ALSA volume (%) is present it means that this DAC has onboard hardware volume controller.

To verify Airplay volume control is working:

SSH into Moode and bring up alsamixer then play something from IOS over Airplay to Moode and make a few adjustments to the volume slider in IOS. You should see alsamixer slider track the volume adjustments.

When DAC has hardware volume controller and physical volume knob and MPD set to Software volume control we end up with 3 independent volume controls on Moode and a separate volume control on the audio device.

Moode
- MPD volume control
- ALSA volume control
- Airplay receiver volume control

Audio device
- Volume knob

No audio output from Moode suggests either ALSA volume or audio device volume knob at low level.

Regards,
Tim

Hi all

May someone please elaborate a little bit for linux dummies like me:headbash:. I think it is a problem I have had with runeaudio, volumio and moode, never succeeded to access my new synology DS215 NAS

Thanks
Jean-Louis

Hi Jean-Louis,

From Windows or Mac, what connect string do you use to access your music folder on the NAS?

Btw, I'll add WaveIO USB to I2S/SPDIF to device list, thanks :)

Regards,
Tim

Last edited:
Hi,

Further testing with hotplugging a DAC that has onboard hardware volume controller indicates:

(1) When plugged back in, ALSA volume is reset to 100!

(2) If MPD is configured for Hardware volume control then MPD <--> ALSA coupling gets broken. If MPD is restarted then coupling is restored but Moode knob has to be moved for ALSA volume to come down from 100.

So I think hotplugging a DAC will be ok as long as MPD is configured for Software volume control.

If MPD is configured for Hardware volume control, ALSA will be reset to 100 when DAC plugged back in and 0dB (full volume) will be output !

Regards,
Tim

Hi Jean-Louis,

From Windows or Mac, what connect string do you use to access your music folder on the NAS?

Btw, I'll add WaveIO USB to I2S/SPDIF to device list, thanks :)

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim, the string is the standard one "nfsvers=3,ro,noatime", I have tried several others in the past, and spent evening trying to understand unsuccessfully. Actually the mount seems OK, but when I try to create the database it goes in loop forever with no result. Hope that helps.
BTW one thing the 3 players should have I believe is give more detail about the mounts and mpd db updates.

Thanks a lot
Jean-Louis

Hi,

Since ALSA volume (%) is present it means that this DAC has onboard hardware volume controller.

To verify Airplay volume control is working:

SSH into Moode and bring up alsamixer then play something from IOS over Airplay to Moode and make a few adjustments to the volume slider in IOS. You should see alsamixer slider track the volume adjustments.

When DAC has hardware volume controller and physical volume knob and MPD set to Software volume control we end up with 3 independent volume controls on Moode and a separate volume control on the audio device.

Moode
- MPD volume control
- ALSA volume control
- Airplay receiver volume control

Audio device
- Volume knob

No audio output from Moode suggests either ALSA volume or audio device volume knob at low level.

Regards,
Tim
Hi Tim
I tried Alsamixer, first of all playing a FLAC which I know works. My DAC was recognised.
Volume slider was at 100% but moving it up and down had no effect on volume.
I then tried to play from iOS to Airplay - but again after a couple of seconds the Moode Airplay icon disappeared from iOS, so I had to reboot.
Verified that a FLAC worked and Airplayed again. Silence. Alsamixer was still at 100% but sliding up and down made no difference. Turning hardware volume right up made no difference.
Switched on Alsa to the Broadcom card (I think this is the inbuilt Pi audio?) which was at zero and plugged in headphones to the 3.5mm jack. Again silent and sliding up and down made no difference.
Switched back to my DAC on Alsamixer and disconnected Airplay from iOS.
As before, trying to use Airplay killed the sound for regular Moode FLAC playback when I switched back so I had to reboot to get any sound at all.

Summary: Airplay disconnects on first attempt. After reboot it connects OK but no sound. After switching Airplay off regular Moode play is silent, necessitating a reboot.

Thanks for your help so far, would be grateful for any more clues. Airplay would be a great function to have working properly.

Hi,

Further testing with hotplugging a DAC that has onboard hardware volume controller indicates:

(1) When plugged back in, ALSA volume is reset to 100!

(2) If MPD is configured for Hardware volume control then MPD <--> ALSA coupling gets broken. If MPD is restarted then coupling is restored but Moode knob has to be moved for ALSA volume to come down from 100.

So I think hotplugging a DAC will be ok as long as MPD is configured for Software volume control.

If MPD is configured for Hardware volume control, ALSA will be reset to 100 when DAC plugged back in and 0dB (full volume) will be output !

Regards,
Tim
Tim
OK. Luckily that's OK for me as I am using software control.

Hi Tim
I tried Alsamixer, first of all playing a FLAC which I know works. My DAC was recognised.
Volume slider was at 100% but moving it up and down had no effect on volume.
I then tried to play from iOS to Airplay - but again after a couple of seconds the Moode Airplay icon disappeared from iOS, so I had to reboot.
Verified that a FLAC worked and Airplayed again. Silence. Alsamixer was still at 100% but sliding up and down made no difference. Turning hardware volume right up made no difference.
Switched on Alsa to the Broadcom card (I think this is the inbuilt Pi audio?) which was at zero and plugged in headphones to the 3.5mm jack. Again silent and sliding up and down made no difference.
Switched back to my DAC on Alsamixer and disconnected Airplay from iOS.
As before, trying to use Airplay killed the sound for regular Moode FLAC playback when I switched back so I had to reboot to get any sound at all.

Summary: Airplay disconnects on first attempt. After reboot it connects OK but no sound. After switching Airplay off regular Moode play is silent, necessitating a reboot.

Thanks for your help so far, would be grateful for any more clues. Airplay would be a great function to have working properly.

Hi,

This behavior "Alsamixer was still at 100% but sliding up and down made no difference." suggests that this mixer device that ALSA picked up is not actually the hardware volume controller. That would explain why Airplay volume is not working.

Post back the output from "amixer" command.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

This behavior "Alsamixer was still at 100% but sliding up and down made no difference." suggests that this mixer device that ALSA picked up is not actually the hardware volume controller. That would explain why Airplay volume is not working.

Post back the output from "amixer" command.

Regards,
Tim
Tim, from amixer I get:

Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 127
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.49dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.49dB] [on]

Last edited: