Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Thanks for the quick reply,
I am browsing it via IP in win10 explorer \\192.168.1.x\USB\drive_name ( does it have to be by name?) but can't copy get the usual not enough space eror because of permission issues.

Thanks

I don't know Windows well but on Linux the "not enough space error " usually means I'm trying to access the wrong drive....
Are you sure the path you are using is correct ? forward slash for Linux ...//192.168.1.x/USB/drive_name

I can confirm that copying to an attached usb drive is faultless....
I use fat32 filesystem for usb drives as it seems to be universally recognised and migrates amongst the several o/s' I use without issue...and 4Gb limitation is neither here nor there when we're talking audio...

Last edited:
I don't know Windows well but on Linux the "not enough space error " usually means I'm trying to access the wrong drive....
Are you sure the path you are using is correct ? forward slash for Linux ...//192.168.1.x/USB/drive_name

I can confirm that copying to an attached usb drive is faultless....
I use fat32 filesystem for usb drives as it seems to be universally recognised and migrates amongst the several o/s' I use without issue...and 4Gb limitation is neither here nor there when we're talking audio...

Hi,

I am pretty confident, I can browse fine all shares from moode, radio, sdcard, etc.. can even delete the test sound file from the sd card just not working with the usb drive.
Let's say I do have all the basic knowledge about these things.

Thank you,

Hi,

I am pretty confident, I can browse fine all shares from moode, radio, sdcard, etc.. can even delete the test sound file from the sd card just not working with the usb drive.

Thank you,

Well...I accept you have a problem...though I think it is of your setup and not MoOde's
Attached screenshots show usb drive visible in Samba on Ubuntu and transfer of file.
What filesystem is your usb drive using ?, are you plugging it in before starting MoOde ?, does it show in the Samba shares ?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-10-25 21-52-17.png
    Screenshot from 2017-10-25 21-52-17.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 303
  • Screenshot from 2017-10-25 21-53-29.png
    Screenshot from 2017-10-25 21-53-29.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 303
Thanks for the quick reply,
I am browsing it via IP in win10 explorer \\192.168.1.x\USB\drive_name ( does it have to be by name?) but can't copy get the usual not enough space eror because of permission issues.

Thanks

Hi,

I do have all the shares you listed just fine every time, no problems with accessing them at all, even rebuilt the sd card image 3 times to make sure there is no glitch. The hdd (hdd is NTFS and using a sata to usb adapter which has Y split one for data and one for power) is powering same time with the raspberry pi every time; all is powered by a linear power supply with separate lines for the compute-ring part and dac analog part. Sounds like I am part of the unlucky ones with this build.

Thanks,

Well...I accept you have a problem...though I think it is of your setup and not MoOde's
Attached screenshots show usb drive visible in Samba on Ubuntu and transfer of file.
What filesystem is your usb drive using ?, are you plugging it in before starting MoOde ?, does it show in the Samba shares ?

Hi,

I do have all the shares you listed just fine every time, no problems with accessing them at all, even rebuilt the sd card image 3 times to make sure there is no glitch. The hdd (hdd is NTFS and using a sata to usb adapter which has Y split one for data and one for power) is powering same time with the raspberry pi every time; all is powered by a linear power supply with separate lines for the compute-ring part and dac analog part. Sounds like I am part of the unlucky ones with this build.

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks,
Plug the hdd into a powered usb hub and the hub to the pi... I have the same setup and the drive had your symptoms plugged direct to the pi but was fixed when powered by the hub....

Plug the hdd into a powered usb hub and the hub to the pi... I have the same setup and the drive had your symptoms plugged direct to the pi but was fixed when powered by the hub....

Hi,

Will test this and let you know but this isn't a fix for me.
As you can see space is a premium and really shouldn't have to use hubs to get something like this done. I will test with various factory versions of small usb3 drives with the same setup.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 20171007_153107.jpg
    20171007_153107.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 283
Hi,

I do have all the shares you listed just fine every time, no problems with accessing them at all, even rebuilt the sd card image 3 times to make sure there is no glitch.

Thanks,

Have you tried mapping the drive as a samba share rather than using the address you quote?

I got the same permissions problems mounting my USB flash drive on the MAC so contacted Tim who recommended using 'Connect to Server' with the address 'smb://moode//USB/ALBUMS' (ALBUMS is the name of the folder on my flash drive) - - worked like a dream.

I believe this would translate as "\\samba.moode\USB\ALBUMS" on a Windows machine but am just guessing as I don't use that OS.

I have my small Western Digital 1TB usb drive plugged into the Pi - with the power to the USB drive split off and connected to a dedicated 5V supply so it's not powered by the Pi.

Mine does not have the USB/SATA adapter though like in your setup.

Nice case setup BTW.

My prototype setup "guts" shown below

Attachments

• moodepi.JPG
    moodepi.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
I have my small Western Digital 1TB usb drive plugged into the Pi - with the power to the USB drive split off and connected to a dedicated 5V supply so it's not powered by the Pi.

Mine does not have the USB/SATA adapter though like in your setup.

Thanks, I have one of those. The adapter is just one of those laptop HDD adapters to usb I thought they accomplish the same thing only being cheaper Chinese components :D
I would love to have a case with a display but is so hard to find a case with correct display cut outs.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I would love to have a case with a display but is so hard to find a case with correct display cut outs.

Thanks,

Thanks - re the display I know exactly what you mean. It's the hardest part of the build! Luckily I have access at work to some very good machinists - it's a Parmetal 1U black anodized case (not shown) that will (eventually) have a 40x2 display

On the sata adapter - not the same I know - but I've definitely had "funny" issues with usb drives connecting (read but not write) in misc computers. Even too long of a usb usb cable on a USB3 drive has caused to be able to only read but not write. Might be some sort of timing ?? issue with the sata / usb in the loop (?)

Last edited:
Hi there !

Hi,

Thank you,

Hello biotronik,

Moode is a great piece of software and, as you said, the price is very reasonable.

However, same issue here with my pi3 and attached USB drive. Works perfectly with the other solutions I tested (Volumio, Runeaudio ...) but there's no way I can upload music to the HDD via my network with Moode.

Asked for help on this forum some time ago, appears my case was unknown and none of the suggested solutions worked. By the way, FTP uploading doesn't work either (probably for the same reasons).

Tried to modify the rights on the drive, without any success.

I got tired of spending more time on this than on listening to music, so now I just unplug the drive from the pi3 and plug it to my computer when I want to transfer new music (much faster transfer, anyway ...)

Not a totally satisfying solution but it's the only one I found. If you ever solve the problem, please tell us about it !

Etienne

Hello biotronik,

Moode is a great piece of software and, as you said, the price is very reasonable.

However, same issue here with my pi3 and attached USB drive. Works perfectly with the other solutions I tested (Volumio, Runeaudio ...) but there's no way I can upload music to the HDD via my network with Moode.

Asked for help on this forum some time ago, appears my case was unknown and none of the suggested solutions worked. By the way, FTP uploading doesn't work either (probably for the same reasons).

Tried to modify the rights on the drive, without any success.

I got tired of spending more time on this than on listening to music, so now I just unplug the drive from the pi3 and plug it to my computer when I want to transfer new music (much faster transfer, anyway ...)

Not a totally satisfying solution but it's the only one I found. If you ever solve the problem, please tell us about it !

Etienne

Perhaps it depends on HDD formatting ?
'cause it does not work for me too, with OSX formatted HDDs

And I read somewhere that linux can read only OSX/MacOS drives, not write.

In the future, I think I'll prefer to use a NAS...

Perhaps it depends on HDD formatting ?
'cause it does not work for me too, with OSX formatted HDDs

And I read somewhere that linux can read only OSX/MacOS drives, not write.

In the future, I think I'll prefer to use a NAS...

Is well good with using NAS a source but this box is designed to be a stand alone device where you can hav your music and build your playlists, etc.. that can be moved easily from place to place :) will have some master built in hardware volume buttons and can be used with headphones easily.