Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Thanks!
I read the currentsong.txt every iteration and detect the changes.
If a change is detected new meta data is written and the new coverart image is loaded into memory.
Works like a charm!
I even get the default moOde cover image on the small screen if i play a file that has no coverart embedded.
The metadata and cover image is updated about half a second after i see the change on the web interface. Pygame is normally used for making games, and is capable of rendering graphical pages at a decent framerate.

Backup Strategy

I may be missing something basic, but it seems that any time you update to a new release of Moode, you end up creating a whole new image on the SD card. Meaning you have to re-add the settings and re-generate the music index from scratch, plus any third party software or other data on the RP has to be re-installed.
The re-indexing isn't a big problem...its pretty quick...but re-installing other software would be tedious.
So the obvious thing would be to back up all the third party software directories to a USB drive for example.

So my question is...what sort of backup strategy have people developed to deal with this?

I just copy any config files to the SD card folder setup for music since it's configured for samba share. I can then pick all of them up easily from another computer using a file explorer. For other programs, I keep good detailed installation notes so I can just copy and paste all the commands. I don't have too many other programs so it'd fairly fast especially since Tim has pre installed some build tools. Btw: What other programs do you install?

Backup Strategy

My retirement project is to develop an MPD web client that suits my own (somewhat peculiar) requirements...it will use Apache, PHP, SQLite, ExtJS and a few other packages.
In principle I guess everything can be installed on the USB drive...but I think that would be relatively difficult to do.

Thanks!
I read the currentsong.txt every iteration and detect the changes.
If a change is detected new meta data is written and the new coverart image is loaded into memory.
Works like a charm!
I even get the default moOde cover image on the small screen if i play a file that has no coverart embedded.
The metadata and cover image is updated about half a second after i see the change on the web interface. Pygame is normally used for making games, and is capable of rendering graphical pages at a decent framerate.

Hi,

How are you detecting change in currentsong.txt?

The reason I ask is that I've had success using inotifywait to watch for update to currentsong.txt file. When it detects an update it wakes up and runs an LCD updater script. The script can be anything.

Regards,
Tim

Last edited:
Oh i forgot. Pedorie, what kind of raspberry are you using?
I am using a raspberry 2B. Maybe there are some differences in clock speed for example

I was using a v1 b+, but i will try with a 2b.

Thank you for your help, i will let you know how it works out.

I ordered a 3.2inch waveshare, hopefully it works out of the box.

Regards,
Peter

Last edited:
This is awesome project. I tried volumio, music box and the interface and configuration options are great. Just wondering, I would like to use this with smartthings home automation to announce the events.
If a Playlist is being played in moode player and smartthings sends a messsge, I would like moode player to pause to announce the message and go right back to the Playlist it was playing. Can anybody help me in this please.
Thanks much

This is awesome project. I tried volumio, music box and the interface and configuration options are great. Just wondering, I would like to use this with smartthings home automation to announce the events.
If a Playlist is being played in moode player and smartthings sends a messsge, I would like moode player to pause to announce the message and go right back to the Playlist it was playing. Can anybody help me in this please.
Thanks much

Hi,

So something like:

pause
play "smartthings" announcement (an audio file)
resume previously paused item

Regards,
Tim

Tim
Thanks for the response. Yes. That's exactly what I am looking for.
Smartthings can send the event messages to dlna devices.

Hi,

Moode can function as UPnP renderer by turning this feature on in the System config page. This might allow Smartthings to see it on the network and send audio to it to be played, however there is no code in Moode or the UPnP renderer (upmpdcli) for detecting a specific audio message, suspending what is currently playing and then resuming it after the special audio message finishes playing.

Regards,
Tim

Tim,

I've been happily using MoOde without issue for four or five months, but I can't seem to mount my NAS with 2.4r1. It mounted fine with 2.4t4. It's an NFS mount and the settings that worked before now yield:

"access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.107:/volume1/public/Music/Oflac"

I've logged into the RPi using putty and I can ping the NAS which seems to be unchanged in all respects. Any thoughts?

Skip

Tim,

I've been happily using MoOde without issue for four or five months, but I can't seem to mount my NAS with 2.4r1. It mounted fine with 2.4t4. It's an NFS mount and the settings that worked before now yield:

"access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.107:/volume1/public/Music/Oflac"

I've logged into the RPi using putty and I can ping the NAS which seems to be unchanged in all respects. Any thoughts?

Skip

Hi Skip,

Try from ssh (putty)

(1) mkdir /mnt/NAS/Test
(2) mount -t nfs 192.168.1.107:/volume1/public/Music/Oflac /mnt/NAS/Test

If this works then

(3) mount (with nothing after the command)
(4) email me the output

If not working then post back with the error message

Regards,
Tim

thats the Pi2 and DAC+ ordered and i have decided that i will be using MoOde as the front end via a 7'' tablet.

i'm busy transferring all my CD's to flac and taking scanz of the CD covers. what size is recommended for viewing on a 7'' tablet?

i'm using MP3tag to embed the scanz and each folder will have the same scan as a folder.jpg

am i excited... hell yes :)

oohh while i'm asking questions. does anybody know where i can get the IO shield cutout sizes as i'm going to make a custom case (access to a Stainless Steel fabrication workshop)?

almost forgot.. whats the best USB network dongle to use?