Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Bernie,

Playlist and Webradio are not part of the tag cache so will no be affected.

When u reconnected USB drive and rebooted, did MPD database automatically start?

Regards,
Tim

I did not notice MPD making an attempt to update database when the USB drive was re-connected. Actually upon power up with the drive, the data was initially all there when browsed. When no song could be played from USB, I updated the folders whereupon the folders disappeared! That's when I knew the tag cache was gone. I confirmed with SSH looking at the SD card's USB directory. This was with v2.4. I've since returned to 2.3.

Hi,

Is there some sort of menu in MrEngman script that lets you pick a specific WiFi adapter driver to install even if for example if you are connected via ethernet?

If there is no "driver select" menu then unless I have the actual adapter plugged into my Pi I can't pre-install a driver for it. I have to wait for these drivers to be included in a mainline Linux kernel.

Tim

Tim, I tested it tonight. I used my existing box with a Edimax wifi adapter plugged in and executed the following commands:

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-v7-20151004.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-v7-20151004.tar.gz
./install.sh

I then turned off my Raspberry Pi, removed the Edimax wifi adapter and inserted the Tplink WN725N wifi adapter and rebooted it. On starting up, it works fine with the Tplink wifi adapter.

If you are interested, the contents of install.sh is as follows:

#!/bin/bash

kernel=4.1.10-v7+
driver=8188eu

module_bin="$driver.ko"
module_dir="/lib/modules/$kernel/kernel/drivers/net/wireless"

echo "sudo cp $driver.conf /etc/modprobe.d/."
sudo cp $driver.conf /etc/modprobe.d/.

echo "sudo install -p -m 644 $module_bin $module_dir"
sudo install -p -m 644 $module_bin $module_dir
echo "sudo depmod $kernel"
sudo depmod $kernel
rm $driver*

echo
echo "Reboot to run the driver."
echo
echo "If you have already configured your wifi it should start up and connect to your"
echo "wireless network."
echo
echo "If you have not configured your wifi you will need to do that to enable the wifi."

rm install.sh

Hi
Received my iqaudio pi-dac+ today so I shut down the raspberry Pi, unplugged my USB dac, plugged in the pi-dac+ an bootet up again. When I go to Menu, Configure, System and try to select i2s audio device I have no option to select. It only says None. What am I doing wrong? Using Moode 2.3.

Thanks

Tim, I tested it tonight. I used my existing box with a Edimax wifi adapter plugged in and executed the following commands:

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-v7-20151004.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-v7-20151004.tar.gz
./install.sh

I then turned off my Raspberry Pi, removed the Edimax wifi adapter and inserted the Tplink WN725N wifi adapter and rebooted it. On starting up, it works fine with the Tplink wifi adapter.

If you are interested, the contents of install.sh is as follows:

#!/bin/bash

kernel=4.1.10-v7+
driver=8188eu

module_bin="$driver.ko"
module_dir="/lib/modules/$kernel/kernel/drivers/net/wireless"

echo "sudo cp $driver.conf /etc/modprobe.d/."
sudo cp $driver.conf /etc/modprobe.d/.

echo "sudo install -p -m 644 $module_bin $module_dir"
sudo install -p -m 644 $module_bin $module_dir
echo "sudo depmod $kernel"
sudo depmod $kernel
rm $driver*

echo
echo "Reboot to run the driver."
echo
echo "If you have already configured your wifi it should start up and connect to your"
echo "wireless network."
echo
echo "If you have not configured your wifi you will need to do that to enable the wifi."

rm install.sh

Hi,

I see this script is direct install of that specific driver to 4.1.10+ kernel. I though u were using "install-wifi - v1 - by MrEngman." My bad :)

I'll try to make this part of 2.4 release. Thanks for the help!

Regards,
Tim

I did not notice MPD making an attempt to update database when the USB drive was re-connected. Actually upon power up with the drive, the data was initially all there when browsed. When no song could be played from USB, I updated the folders whereupon the folders disappeared! That's when I knew the tag cache was gone. I confirmed with SSH looking at the SD card's USB directory. This was with v2.4. I've since returned to 2.3.

Hi Bernie,

I'd suggest not using the Auto DB update setting. I don't think it will be reliable when removing/reconnecting USB drive.

There is (or should be) no difference in how the setting works between Moode 2.3 and Moode 2.4

Regards,
Tim

Hi
Received my iqaudio pi-dac+ today so I shut down the raspberry Pi, unplugged my USB dac, plugged in the pi-dac+ an bootet up again. When I go to Menu, Configure, System and try to select i2s audio device I have no option to select. It only says None. What am I doing wrong? Using Moode 2.3.

Thanks

Reinstalled Moode and then I could select the i2s dac :)
Since I use a headphone amp I want to disable hardware volume controle. Cant figure out where I do that so if someone can help me out it would be great :)

Trond

OK, thanks for looking at this Tim.

Yes, you are right: I already have the micro set to eco as the normal/turbo modes settings were too powerful. I will try the "Software" option as suggested.

Anyone out there that has or tried the iDSD Micro with Moode player - what settings are you using?

Thanks

Hi,

I read the manual for the iDSD micro and there are some settings on the device that look like they affect gain at the RCA outputs.

If "Preamp Mode" is selected then the Volume control on the device is activated for the RCA outs. The "Power Mode" setting then affects gain at the RCA outs.
- Eco = 0dB
- Normal/Turbo = 9dB

I think the combination of Preamp Mode + Power Mode = Normal or Turbo would yield a gain of 9dB at the RCA outs.

Could this be causing the overly loud volume that you are experiencing? If yes, then try Power Mode = Eco

If not, then set MPD volume control to "Software" and find a volume setting that provides an acceptable volume range when using the devices analog volume control.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Moode 2.x series does not support in-place upgrades but this is high priority for the Moode 3 project (no time frame yet).

Regards,
Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim. Really liking the setup so far! Cool I'll just reinstall 2.4 once the final comes out!

I had the same issue as some others where my library is now empty on the Moode interface but MPoD shows my full library. Any fix for this or should I just reinstall?

One thing I was wondering was if there was any way to have Moode show the file type while browsing? I ask because I have many albums where I have both mp3 and flac copies and would obviously prefer to play the flacs at home, but at this time I can't distinguish the two. Thoughts?

Also, I'm a bit confused on the proper volume settings to use for my IQaudIO DAC+. Right now I have it setup to use hardware volume control and I'm not sure where the ALSA volume should be set for optimal use of this DAC. Any thoughts on the best settings overall for this DAC? Thanks!

Thanks for the reply Tim. Really liking the setup so far! Cool I'll just reinstall 2.4 once the final comes out!

I had the same issue as some others where my library is now empty on the Moode interface but MPoD shows my full library. Any fix for this or should I just reinstall?

One thing I was wondering was if there was any way to have Moode show the file type while browsing? I ask because I have many albums where I have both mp3 and flac copies and would obviously prefer to play the flacs at home, but at this time I can't distinguish the two. Thoughts?

Also, I'm a bit confused on the proper volume settings to use for my IQaudIO DAC+. Right now I have it setup to use hardware volume control and I'm not sure where the ALSA volume should be set for optimal use of this DAC. Any thoughts on the best settings overall for this DAC? Thanks!

Hi,

(1) The Library loader is constrained by its original design and some large collections fail to load.

How many tracks in your collection?

(2) Showing file type is possible but for most collections it would be surperfluous since they only contain one occurrence of a given song file. I might get a lot of feedback if "FLAC" were displayed after every flac file in the typical music collection! The other issue is that space is limited in the Library panel in general, and on the entire UI when running on Smartphones.

The only thing I can think of would be to make a menu item or click-popup that would display some file info (type, bit rate, etc.). I'll investigate.

(3) Optimal settings for IQaudIO Pi-DAC+ are

- MPD set to "Hardware" volume control
- Logarithmic curve set to "Yes" in Customize popup

When MPD is set to Hardware volume control, it is controlling the onboard hardware volume controller on the Pi-DAC+ via ALSA. There is no need to set ALSA volume in this case since it is coupled to MPD volume.

Regards,
Tim Curtis

Could you please add two strings to knob.sh so that we can launch them via lirc (infrared)?

---> one to raise the volume and one to lower it by x steps.

e.g. calling "knob.sh volup" raises volume by x steps (defined in knob.sh)
calling "knob.sh voldn" lowers volume by x steps

I did it for a previous version and was working great, but now knob.sh has changed adding the mute "thing" and it got broken.

I could surely hack it together with a bit of trial and error, but I prefer you write it in case you have in mind other future mods to the knob.sh that would render it useless on next release :)

P.S. also mute and unmute usually are the same button... so maybe a rewrite to handle both mute and unmute with the same command?
e.g. it should check "volume_muted" status and invert it. (unless you are using it for the UI :D )
Thank you.

Last edited:
Could you please add two strings to knob.sh so that we can launch them via lirc (infrared)?

---> one to raise the volume and one to lower it by x steps.

e.g. calling "knob.sh volup" raises volume by x steps (defined in knob.sh)
calling "knob.sh voldn" lowers volume by x steps

I did it for a previous version and was working great, but now knob.sh has changed adding the mute "thing" and it got broken.

I could surely hack it together with a bit of trial and error, but I prefer you write it in case you have in mind other future mods to the knob.sh that would render it useless on next release :)

P.S. also mute and unmute usually are the same button... so maybe a rewrite to handle both mute and unmute with the same command?
e.g. it should check "volume_muted" status and invert it. (unless you are using it for the UI :D )
Thank you.

Hi,

So would something like below work. I wouldn't want to hard-code the step value into the .sh

knob.sh up 3
knob.sh down 3

Regards,
Tim

Yes like that, you're right don't hardcode it, it's better that way.

About mute/unmute.
If you don't want to edit that section of code because of UI, add a new command for a "remote mute button" that can do both with a single press.

e.g. I have only one "muting" button on my remote(as 99% of remotes out there).
If moode is already muted and I press the button, it should unmute. And vice versa.

It should check if already muted and then take action.

Thank you

Last edited:

About mute/unmute.
If you don't want to edit that section of code because of UI, add a new command for a "remote mute button" that can do both with a single press.

If moode is already muted and I press the button, it should unmute. And vice versa.

Thank you

Hi,

Yes of course, mute should be a toggle and not separate commands, just like a real mute button.

Thanks for that :)
Tim

About mute/unmute.

Thank you

Hi again,

Please try the new version and let me know if any bugs or if any changes need to be made :)
http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/knob.sh.zip

Examples:

/var/www/knob.sh 10
/var/www/knob.sh mute (this will toggle the mute state)
/var/www/knob.sh up 3
/var/www/knob.sh down 3

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Added the very nice ES9032 based Mamboberry HiFi DAC+ to Moode 2.4 :)

Regards,
Tim

Attachments

• mamboberry-1.png
    mamboberry-1.png
    144 KB · Views: 203
  • mamboberry-2.png
    mamboberry-2.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 194