Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Nice :)

Just don't forget about the 100% VOLUME issue in librespot !!!

Hopefully the dev will get to this issue soon :)

-Tim
This issue isn't a problem on my moOde streamer , hardware volume control inside [emoji1]

80e9e4b81bcd197963af62a4b981d8df.jpg

Hi

Yesterday bought the 3.6 version off Moode player.
My hope was to have a few things repaired in the software sinds version 2.7.

The volume button is sinds version 2.8 very slow in response.
Used a second Pi 2 to see if it is the same there , and it is.
Used different dac's (PIFI dac, Piano 2.1 dac), and also there very slow volume response.
Hardware volume, or software volume settings make's no different.
Someone else having this problem ?

Is there no driver (support) yet for the Allo Piano dac 2.1 ?

Gr Frank

Hi,

Same problem (slow volume button) here.
I have started several times from scratch, but no luck.
Using a cheap noname usb DAC.
Tested from windows 7 with Chrome and Firefox, from Ipad with Safari, and Windows 10 phone.
And as far as I remember, I can confirm Frank's statement that this is a problem with the latest versions.

Another problem I experienced a couple of times whas that suddenly the sound stopped.
I could see that the DAC was working since it has a flashing led.
Setting volume control to hardware was the only way to get sound (at full volume).
Could not find a solution other than reinstalling. This problem occured only with 3.5 and 3.6.

Despite the above, I am really glad for purchasing and using Moode.
Congrats for your work Tim.

Regards,

Stavros

Hi,

Same problem (slow volume button) here.
I have started several times from scratch, but no luck.
Using a cheap noname usb DAC.
Tested from windows 7 with Chrome and Firefox, from Ipad with Safari, and Windows 10 phone.
And as far as I remember, I can confirm Frank's statement that this is a problem with the latest versions.

Another problem I experienced a couple of times whas that suddenly the sound stopped.
I could see that the DAC was working since it has a flashing led.
Setting volume control to hardware was the only way to get sound (at full volume).
Could not find a solution other than reinstalling. This problem occured only with 3.5 and 3.6.

Despite the above, I am really glad for purchasing and using Moode.
Congrats for your work Tim.

Regards,

Stavros

Hi Stavros,

Please describe in more detail what is "slow"?

-Tim

finally, I got spotconnect work on my moOde.

Thanks a loooooooot, Tim :D

Nice :)

Just don't forget about the 100% VOLUME issue in librespot !!!

Hopefully the dev will get to this issue soon :)

-Tim

Hi Belt, Tim,

I got librespot to work on mine too for a while now. However, I have an issue where - if I play via spotifyconnect/librespot, I can no longer get back to Moode local playback. I have to restart Moode to fix this.

What I did is to create a spotifyconnect service like discussed roonlabs forum, as suggested by lazerHarp in post#6259.

Do you have this issue?

My service definition is this:
Code:
[Unit]
Description=Spotify Connect
After=network-online.target
[Service]
Type=idle
User=root
ExecStart=/root/librespot --name SpotifyConnect --cache /tmp --bitrate 320 --backend alsa --device hw:0 > /dev/null 2>&1
Restart=always
RestartSec=10
StartLimitInterval=30
StartLimitBurst=20
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Can you recommend some tweaks to this service definition, or some other way perhaps to make autostart spotifyconnect at startup?

Thanks a lot!

Hi Tim,

I just went back to the librespot release download, and I saw the latest update has "Uses alsa output:"

Code:
v20170413-d95c0b3: Librespot for Raspberry Pi (and other Linux on ARM)
@herrernst herrernst released this 15 days ago · 0 commits to master since this release

[B]Uses alsa output[/B], only needs libasound2 installed

Do you think this fixes the 100% VOLUME issue?

Ferdz

Hi Tim,

I just went back to the librespot release download, and I saw the latest update has "Uses alsa output:"

Code:
@herrernst herrernst released this 15 days ago · 0 commits to master since this release

Ferdz

Hi,

Its documented in issue #150. The dev proposed a nice fix but just has not gotten to it yet.
https://github.com/plietar/librespot/issues/150

-Tim

Well, trying to change the volume using the control on screen will respond after 2-3 seconds.

Stavros

Hi Stavros,

Is it both the screen update and actual volume output that takes 2 - 3 seconds or does volume output change instantly but screen update lags?

Are you clicking the volume up/down buttons or the volume knob (ring)?

One way to troubleshoot is to reconfigure Moode to use the Pi on-board audio device and see of the problem occurs.

-Tim

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

Code:

Ferdz

LOL, I just can't wait, never mind being late for work!!

Well, I went ahead and tried the above release. It seems to solve my problem - now I can switch back to Moode local playback when I stop Spotify playback!

Also - it seems the volume works?? Tim can you verify? I'm using HifiBerry DAC+ Pro. Here's how I'm testing:
1) My Moode volume is 80.
2) I play Spotify in my Iphone through spotify-connect device
3) The volume in Spotify goes to 100%
4) BUT - it is limitted by the volume from Moode, which is effectively 80%. Essentially, I could adjust Moode gui volume and it effectively adjust the output sound.

I'm definitely good with this :D - lot better than previous version of librespot.

Hi Stavros,

Is it both the screen update and actual volume output that takes 2 - 3 seconds or does volume output change instantly but screen update lags?

One way to troubleshoot is to reconfigure Moode to use the Pi on-board audio device and see of the problem occurs.

-Tim

Hi Tim

clicking the volume up/down buttons and the volume knob (ring) is the same slow response, and the actual volume is slow response.
With the onboard audio also slow response.
Also the audio timer stands still wen i click volume button.

Sorry for my poor english i am from the Netherlands.

Frank

Last edited:
Hi Tim. I installed the player version 3.6 and I did not find in it the installation of a sound device USB. In the previous version, I could select the USB playback device. Could you help me to solve this problem?

Hi,

From Moode Setup Guide

2. AUDIO DEVICE SETUP
- USB DEVICE
a) Menu, Configure, Audio, OPEN MPD CONFIG
b) leave Volume control set to "Software"
c) set Audio output to "USB audio device" then press APPLY

Are you saying that after plugging in your USB audio device that step 2c fails to show "USB audio device" in the drop down list?

Also, on the Audio config page "I2S audio device" must be set to "None" then reboot.

-Tim

Hi Tim

clicking the volume up/down buttons and the volume knob (ring) is the same slow response, and the actual volume is slow response.
With the onboard audio also slow response.
Also the audio timer stands still wen i click volume button.

Sorry for my poor english i am from the Netherlands.

Frank

These symptoms including really slow response, UI hang and so on suggest something external to Moode software, especially if they occur when using just the on-board audio device. Maybe a bad sd card or power supply, corrupt image or image write, etc.

-Tim

Hi Stavros,

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Both screen update and actual volume as Frank wrote.
But here is a strange thing:
Volume up/down where at first unresponsive also. After clicking on them a few dozen times, all controls were responsive.
I rebooted, and was able to reproduce.
Rebooted again and the controls were responsive right away.
Now I am trying to get them to be unresponsive again to continue testing.
Hope this might help troubleshooting.

Stavros

Hi,

From Moode Setup Guide

2. AUDIO DEVICE SETUP
- USB DEVICE
a) Menu, Configure, Audio, OPEN MPD CONFIG
b) leave Volume control set to "Software"
c) set Audio output to "USB audio device" then press APPLY

Are you saying that after plugging in your USB audio device that step 2c fails to show "USB audio device" in the drop down list?

Also, on the Audio config page "I2S audio device" must be set to "None" then reboot.

-Tim

My audio device is active, i.e. it is inserted into the USB port and the indicator indicates that the device is active. But in the settings I see only the on-board device. The audio control is set to the software. In the settings of I2S is none.
"Are you saying that after plugging in your USB audio device that step 2c fails to show "USB audio device" in the drop down list?" -yes.