Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

A nice EQ coming to Moode 3.2 compliments of code from YvonL :)

-Tim

Hi Tim!

Sorry to say that- but to me that makes no sense- reminds me of one of these never satisfying implementations in cheap mp3-players;-)

As I first read about that, I thought of a parametrical digital equalizer to make individual adjustments- room sound compensation for instance. Such a facility could even replace an electrical speaker-correction-network. Especially if you listen via fullrange drivers, like I do;-) That would really make a lot of sense.

I'm aware of the fact, that this forum is not a wishlist for individual needs- so again- sorry for my critics. Your work is fantastic!

Greetingz, Robert

As metalrob posted before, I´m a little disappointed and at the same time hopefully. Disappointed that the equalizer seems to be not very useful for those, who want real room correction. Hopefully that this might be just a first step and more is to come later. I can imagine that it´s quite a hard work to get something like brutefir into moode. Maybe we´ll get at least a 16 or 20-band parametric equalizer in 2017? I would help, If I only could...

Happy new year you all out there!

Luki

...For example if your USB stick has the label "MyUSBStick", then from Windows map a local drive as follows:

z: --> \\moode\USB\MyUSBStick
Thanks, this apparently did the trick.

Utterly at a loss as to why, since it was the exact Network location I was entering through the Network locations. Mapping the location to a Network Location should be the same, yet it accepted a 1.3GB folder.

I'll report later more 'success stories', thanks a lot for the help and the hard work.

Best regards,
Rafa.

...A nice EQ coming to Moode 3.2 compliments of code from YvonL :)...
I agree that, for Audiophiles that try to have the best matched equipment and balanced components: my speakers warmth match my amp's cool-tinted-sound, etc., an EQ is controversial to say the least! :)

I understand why people may want it, but please make it so that it is a PERFECT bypass if one decides to avoid the EQ and not that it is resampling audio or dithering or any other thing it may do!

I am afraid that most EQs will probably work only on 16/44.1, for example, or the likes, and I would hate to loose the bit-perfect solution I so intensely searched for!

Could you elaborate on the inner workings of the EQ?

Thanks,
Rafa.

I agree that, for Audiophiles that try to have the best matched equipment and balanced components: my speakers warmth match my amp's cool-tinted-sound, etc., an EQ is controversial to say the least! :)

I understand why people may want it, but please make it so that it is a PERFECT bypass if one decides to avoid the EQ and not that it is resampling audio or dithering or any other thing it may do!

I am afraid that most EQs will probably work only on 16/44.1, for example, or the likes, and I would hate to loose the bit-perfect solution I so intensely searched for!

Could you elaborate on the inner workings of the EQ?

Thanks,
Rafa.
if you need EQ I would suggest to go analogue instead. E.g. this device: http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/y2012/04/61573/2012_0421X-Tone0005.JPG it may be hard to find. Check Ebay for it if you would like to find one. (I own one, but I'm not selling ..... :D)

Last edited:
As much as I LOVE Moode over Airplay, I just cannot get used to the clunky Web GUI which it has inherited from who knows where. It's really old school and not user friendly at all. But hey, not criticising the great work that has gone into the Core of Moode, just saying... and yes, I do try to avoid it.

From that image I understand the EQ is disabled by default (first option). Maybe Tim can confirm.

Hi,

Correct, the EQ and similarly Crossfeed are not in the audio pipeline when set to disabled. In this case MPD outputs directly to the audio device and as long as there is no other DSP occurring for example digital volume control, resampling, volume normalization, etc., the audio pipeline will be "bit-perfect".

The EQ I'm testing is alsaequal, a basic 10 band equalizer. I'm also investigating an alternative 16 band EQ from the swh-plugins package.

The Audio info screen shows the state of DSP components.

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r32-audioinfo.png
    moode-r32-audioinfo.png
    299.6 KB · Views: 251
I've enjoyed using MoOde standalone AP player today. Thanks again for helping me get it up and running, and especially for your patience with my fumbling around.

Unrelated to the current EQ thread, I have a question about the UI and grouping tracks for playback.

I understand that playlists organized around individual tracks are the norm these days, since popular music is made of individual songs that stand alone from the other selections that come in an album. Also understood from previous posts that there is no standard format for defining a compilation using ID3 tags.

However, classical music usually has individual works that are comprised of a few separate movements. For example, a symphony will often have 4 movements, usually organized as tracks 1, 2, 3 and 4, all with the same "Artist", "Album", and "Composer" tags.

Also, some of us like to listen to albums in their entirety, then move on to listening to the next album.

I see that there's a little menu button (upper right) for each track in the Library tab, providing options for Add, Play, and Clear.

Would it be possible to add an *album* to the Playlist as an individual item in the playback queue? Or perhaps it would be easier to simply add an option to "Play this album" from within the Library tab.

I figure if the "Artist" and "Album" tags are identical for a batch of individual tracks (individual music files), it's likely that they are part of an individual album. So for instance, if for all tracks in the album/compilation the tag for Artist = 'Mahler, Columbia Sym O, Bruno Walter' and the tag for Album = 'Symphony No. 9', then it's safe to assume that these tracks would all belong in the same album, no? If so, then would it be possible to provide a control from which this album (compilation) could be played with a single click/command?

One way to sidestep this is to use an audio editor to concatenate the several movements of a classical piece into one big music file, and play the entire piece as a single track. That doesn't allow you to easily move between movements, but at least you can get the whole piece to play through. I think it would be a better feature if the UI could identify the album from the tracks' tags, and provide a single command to "Play this album."

Just a suggestion from someone who doesn't often listen to music one track at a time, but rather one album at a time, with a fair amount of multi-movement classical pieces mixed in. It might be a nice feature, especially for those who listen to classical music.

At any rate, MoOde is working well here, thanks again.
--

PS - I think an EQ is a nice thing to have, as long as it's obvious how to defeat it.
--

Last edited:
I've enjoyed using MoOde standalone AP player today. Thanks again for helping me get it up and running, and especially for your patience with my fumbling around.

Unrelated to the current EQ thread, I have a question about the UI and grouping tracks for playback.

I understand that playlists organized around individual tracks are the norm these days, since popular music is made of individual songs that stand alone from the other selections that come in an album. Also understood from previous posts that there is no standard format for defining a compilation using ID3 tags.

However, classical music usually has individual works that are comprised of a few separate movements. For example, a symphony will often have 4 movements, usually organized as tracks 1, 2, 3 and 4, all with the same "Artist", "Album", and "Composer" tags.

Also, some of us like to listen to albums in their entirety, then move on to listening to the next album.

I see that there's a little menu button (upper right) for each track in the Library tab, providing options for Add, Play, and Clear.

Would it be possible to add an *album* to the Playlist as an individual item in the playback queue? Or perhaps it would be easier to simply add an option to "Play this album" from within the Library tab.

I figure if the "Artist" and "Album" tags are identical for a batch of individual tracks (individual music files), it's likely that they are part of an individual album. So for instance, if for all tracks in the album/compilation the tag for Artist = 'Mahler, Columbia Sym O, Bruno Walter' and the tag for Album = 'Symphony No. 9', then it's safe to assume that these tracks would all belong in the same album, no? If so, then would it be possible to provide a control from which this album (compilation) could be played with a single click/command?

One way to sidestep this is to use an audio editor to concatenate the several movements of a classical piece into one big music file, and play the entire piece as a single track. That doesn't allow you to easily move between movements, but at least you can get the whole piece to play through. I think it would be a better feature if the UI could identify the album from the tracks' tags, and provide a single command to "Play this album."

Just a suggestion from someone who doesn't often listen to music one track at a time, but rather one album at a time, with a fair amount of multi-movement classical pieces mixed in. It might be a nice feature, especially for those who listen to classical music.

At any rate, MoOde is working well here, thanks again.
--

PS - I think an EQ is a nice thing to have, as long as it's obvious how to defeat it.
--

Hi,

Click on the album art in the Library and you can play whole Genre, Artist or Album, or even the entire collection.

-Tim

Haha! That works!

Word of warning -- I'm controlling MoOde from my Android phone's browser, using the Pi in AP mode.

When I click on the album art, I see that same Add, Play, Clear/Play menu I see for individual tracks in the Library tab.

I clicked on Play, and it added the album, and it started the playback from track 1 of the album.

I erased those additions, went back and clicked on the album art, but this time clicked Add. It added the tracks to my Playlist in track number order.

However, I don't see where the options are to play whole Genre or whole Artist. Probably another brain fart, but what am I missing?

Haha! That works!

Word of warning -- I'm controlling MoOde from my Android phone's browser, using the Pi in AP mode.

When I click on the album art, I see that same Add, Play, Clear/Play menu I see for individual tracks in the Library tab.

I clicked on Play, and it added the album, and it started the playback from track 1 of the album.

I erased those additions, went back and clicked on the album art, but this time clicked Add. It added the tracks to my Playlist in track number order.

However, I don't see where the options are to play whole Genre or whole Artist. Probably another brain fart, but what am I missing?

Hi,

Genre and Artist columns only appear on larger screens.

-Tim

Hi Tim
Really enjoying version 3.1 many thanks.

I did find 1 issue, player sounds great with standard kernel. I tried loading the advanced kernel and it sounded quite a bit different, a bit strange! I played a simple stereo and phase test track and both channels were playing the same content.
I have pi 2 with a hifiberry Didi+ board.

Note sure you've come across this one.....

Cheers Dave

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Here's a screenshot of the Configuration > Network page (attached). I'm sure I'm not understanding what's going on behind the UI.

Yes, understood.

Again, I'm interested in using Moode on Pi as a music player I can control from my phone. I understand that one needs to know the IP address of the Pi before one can access the Moode UI from an Android device. The question is, how does one know the IP address of the Pi if you can't access the Moode UI?

What happens if I set a Static IP Address for wlan0? Does that make it so that the AP uses that IP address? Or does the Pi use a different IP address if there are other IP devices around?

Is there a tutorial available for using the Pi as a hotspot/music player controlled by an Android device? (In other words, a 'headless player'?)
--

For Android device try Fing- Network Tools

Hi, guys. I got a shiny new Pi 3 for Christmas, and I was looking to use Moode with it. I have everything I need to set up the Pi (power cord, cables, microSD card, external hard drive, etc) and a Hifiberry DAC+ Pro.

The bad news is, I have only the data on my phone (which can be a WiFi hotspot if necessary) as internet at home. I know Moode can be controlled without internet access via access point mode once it is set up, but I don't know if I can set it up without internet access.

So here are my newbie questions:

> Can I setup Moode from scratch without internet to use access point mode?

> So, um, how do I install the .img file to the microSD card? Surely I don't just copy it over, right? Is there some program I need to install the .img file to my microSD card to run Moode?

Sorry for the noob questions. I really appreciate all your help!

> Can I setup Moode from scratch without internet to use access point mode?

> So, um, how do I install the .img file to the microSD card? Surely I don't just copy it over, right? Is there some program I need to install the .img file to my microSD card to run Moode?

Sorry for the noob questions. I really appreciate all your help!

1st question: Yes, no internet needed.
2nd question: On the Mac I use ApplePi Baker. On a PC I believe people use Win32DiskImager.
Then just follow Moode setuo instructions and come back if you get stuck. :)