Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

What were the defaults?

All of the defaults (in the Sources>add NAS interface) were:

Name = Synology (Actually named Sy112aud)

Protocol = NFS (correct)

IP address (I think) autocompleted correctly

Remote file offered four choices, one correct, all close having different parts of the full path, and some caps.

No entries in the NAS login and password, which I entered well before they showed up in the WLAN section, certainly before I saw them there.

These are a bit of a guess since this all happened last night and much has happened since.

Skip

Hi,

I can load a 1.8t1 image tomorrow and see if I can find anything odd.

I did try your nfs mount settings in the 1.8t2 release that I am currently working on and the Source screen started with all blank fields (no defaults). The mount timed out since I don't have any nfs shares but nonetheless the screens completed.

The string that the Player constructed for the NFS mount is:
mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3,ro,noatime "192.168.1.107:/volume1/public" "/mnt/NAS/Music2"

The code does not put a userid and password in the mount string like it does for a CIFS mount. Is access to NFS shares granted in a way other than by supplying userid and password in the mount string???

Log dump.

root@rp2:~# cat /var/log/php_errors.log
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> values on line 1016 >>>>> 'Music2',
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> values on line 1016 >>>>> 'Music2','nfs',
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> values on line 1016 >>>>> 'Music2','nfs','192.168.1.107',
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> values on line 1016 >>>>> 'Music2','nfs','192.168.1.107','volume1/public',
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> values on line 1016 >>>>> 'Music2','nfs','192.168.1.107','volume1/public','TIMUSER',
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> values on line 1016 >>>>> 'Music2','nfs','192.168.1.107','volume1/public','TIMUSER','TIMPASSWORD',
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> values on line 1016 >>>>> 'Music2','nfs','192.168.1.107','volume1/public','TIMUSER','TIMPASSWORD','utf8',
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> values on line 1016 >>>>> 'Music2','nfs','192.168.1.107','volume1/public','TIMUSER','TIMPASSWORD','utf8','8048',
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> values on line 1016 >>>>> 'Music2','nfs','192.168.1.107','volume1/public','TIMUSER','TIMPASSWORD','utf8','8048','8096',
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> values on line 1016 >>>>> 'Music2','nfs','192.168.1.107','volume1/public','TIMUSER','TIMPASSWORD','utf8','8048','8096','nfsvers=3,ro,noatime',
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> values on line 1014 >>>>> 'Music2','nfs','192.168.1.107','volume1/public','TIMUSER','TIMPASSWORD','utf8','8048','8096','nfsvers=3,ro,noatime',''
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> values on line 1019 >>>>> 'Music2','nfs','192.168.1.107','volume1/public','TIMUSER','TIMPASSWORD','utf8','8048','8096','nfsvers=3,ro,noatime',''
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> cfgdb_write(cfg_source,dbh,'Music2','nfs','192.168.1.107','volume1/public','TIMUSER','TIMPASSWORD','utf8','8048','8096','nfsvers=3,ro,noatime','') >>>>>
INSERT INTO cfg_source VALUES (NULL, 'Music2','nfs','192.168.1.107','volume1/public','TIMUSER','TIMPASSWORD','utf8','8048','8096','nfsvers=3,ro,noatime','')
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> cfgdb_read(cfg_source,dbh,,2) >>>>>
SELECT * from cfg_source WHERE id='2'
[09-Apr-2015 00:05:45 UTC] >>>>> mount string >>>>> mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3,ro,noatime "192.168.1.107:/volume1/public" "/mnt/NAS/Music2"
[09-Apr-2015 00:07:56 UTC]
[09-Apr-2015 00:07:56 UTC] >>>>> cfgdb_update(cfg_source,dbh,,Array) >>>>>
UPDATE cfg_source SET name='Music2', type='nfs', address='192.168.1.107', remotedir='volume1/public', username='TIMUSER', password='TIMPASSWORD', charset='utf8', rsize='8048', wsize='8096', options='nfsvers=3,ro,noatime', error='mount.nfs: Connection timed out' where id=2
root@rp2:~#

Regards,
TC

Last night I got the NAS to mount, and I think the key was making sure the NAS login and password fields were blank. I think there is an interface quirk, possibly browser and system related, that repopulates those entries when you thought you had cleared them. I will reimage and attempt to clarify the situation today.

Skip

Last night I got the NAS to mount, and I think the key was making sure the NAS login and password fields were blank. I think there is an interface quirk, possibly browser and system related, that repopulates those entries when you thought you had cleared them. I will reimage and attempt to clarify the situation today.

Skip

Hi,

Userid and password are not used in the mount string for NFS but they will be stored in the Player database along with the rest of the form fields for the mount, and are displayed when editing the mount. Removing the mount deletes the entry from the Player database.

The Sources screen should probably be modified so the userid and password fields are hidden when NFS is selected from the dropdown. I'll see what I can do.

Regards,
TC

The Sources screen should probably be modified so the userid and password fields are hidden when NFS is selected from the dropdown. I'll see what I can do.

I started again and meticulously reimaged and followed the directions without any side steps. When I was adding the NAS, The smart defaults were still there, so I got the entries in place and deleted the login name making sure to mouse off to the side once it was deleted (not down through the suggested value box).
It mounted fine and indexed. Hiding those fields sounds like a good idea if you can be sure some NAS devices sharing via NFS won't need them.

I'm using Win32DiskImager to write the SD card. When I rewrite the image to the card, can some of the files previously present remain?

thanks,

Skip

I started again and meticulously reimaged and followed the directions without any side steps. When I was adding the NAS, The smart defaults were still there, so I got the entries in place and deleted the login name making sure to mouse off to the side once it was deleted (not down through the suggested value box).
It mounted fine and indexed. Hiding those fields sounds like a good idea if you can be sure some NAS devices sharing via NFS won't need them.

I'm using Win32DiskImager to write the SD card. When I rewrite the image to the card, can some of the files previously present remain?

thanks,

Skip

Hi Skip,

Glad to here that the mount worked and you are up and running :)

Wrt your question, writing an image to the card definitely overwrites it. There is no possibility of any previous data showing up in the Player.

Earlier, I checked the 1.8t1 image and all the mount fields were blank. As part of the 1.8t2 work I'll update the Source and mount screens and associated code and will check carefully to see if there is anything that might be auto-populating the mount fields for NFS mounts.

Regards,
Tim

As I mentioned before, i followed in readme instructions first setting the time zone, exiting from SSH, then using the web interface to add the NAS. The indexing took about 20 minutes. I have a large, but not monumentally large collection of music. I used the System tab reboot which took about 10 minutes, and browsing the library looked good. My next step was setting up to use my HiFiBerry Digi+. The interface seemed to work fine, but when I went to reboot, it did not reconnnect. I quit the web interface and power-cycled the RPI2 after about 1 hr. 15 min. After I power it up, it cannot be reached (ping,SSH, or web interface).

I cannot remove the SSID name and password which are persistently set to those for the NAS. I suspect this might be relevant though that's not well supported by evidence.

Thanks for sticking with this, and me.

Skip

Hi Skip,

Very odd.

One way to trouble shoot would be to start with fresh image and then:

(1) Configure Hifi Berry Digi+ (System config) REBOOT
(2) Add a radio station to the playlist
(3) Verify that the station plays

If station plays then:

(4) Add your NFS mount
(5) Wait for MPD database update to complete
(6) Verify that NFS share shows up in Browse/NAS
(7) Add tracks to playlist from Browse/NAS
--OR--
(8) Press Library tab and wait for Library to be populated
(9) Add tracks from Library

Regards,
Tim

Last edited:
Very professionnel Tim, congrats ! Could you wrap somewhere the benefits compared to Runeaudio UI, and things that have been lost, if any, as well as the global configuration ?

BR

Hi - thanks!

I'd feel a bit uncomfortable doing a feature comparison with any of the other very fine audio players that people are working on, but I'd be happy to provide a brief summary of the Moode features and enhancements that I think are interesting and useful. Some of these are probably unique to MoOde :)

(1) GENERAL FEATURE CONTENT
- Radio station maintenance (add/edit/delete)
- Radio station logo display
- Clock Radio for scheduled playback
- Playlist maintenance (delete item(s)/move item(s)/save playlist)
- Browse contents of saved playlists
- Curated Radio Station collection, many high bitrate (83 great stations in 1.8)
- Album cover art display
- Cover/logo click for Google search
- Type down search for Radio stations
- Type down search for Library album or artist
- Player Theme color changer
- Popup volume control for easy access on small screens or when not on the Playback tab
- Volume limit warning to prevent accidentally setting too high a volume
- Confirmation popups for delete, reset, remove, etc., actions
- Select local timezone (1.8)
- Comprehensive name changer covering host name, browser title, airplay and upnp friendly names (1.8)

(2) USER INTERFACE FEATURES
- Auto scaling popups for small screens
- Automatic two-column Library view for small screens
- Action menus automatically stay within screen boundaries
- Three-button Playback controls (previous / play-pause toggle / next)
- Library column click headers for displaying "all" genres, artists or albums
- Show/hide toolbar that contains search input, back btn, etc.
- Time knob count up/down toggle by clicking on the time
- Time knob precision drag with time display (while playback paused)
- Time knob automatic font font scaling when transitioning from MM:SS to HH:MM:SS
- Audio Info popup showing live Input, DSP, Output and Device information plus
sampled cpu frequency, utilization and temperature
- Audio device description database (21 devices in 1.8)

(3) SYSTEM ENHANCEMENTS
- Support for RPi-2 platform
- SoX resampler integration
- Swappable Linux kernels
- Integrated I2S device tree overlay support
- Support for up to 4 USB attached storage devices
- Improved code efficiency for reduced cpu utilization
- Improved player reliability through bug and structural code fixes
- Server and code modifications to better support large collections

(4) MONTHLY RELEASE CYCLE
- Rapid player improvement
- Timely bug fixes

Regards,
http://twitter.com/MoodeAudio
tcmods.org
Tim

Substantial Progress!

Hello Tim,

Yesterday I followed your modified sequence and first, the radio station played, I mounted and indexed the NAS, and files played, then I closed the web interface and successfully changed the timezone with SSH. For the rest of the evening I explored formats and resolutions, all good (except those I didn't expect to work because of DAC limitations). I was able to use my android phone to control play nicely.

Do you think some of most of the issues I faced earlier might be related to the browser I'm using (Google Chrome)? I am happy to test others browsers and or process orders, if it would be useful for you.

A bunch of questions remain:

1) The library does not show anything when I click on artists or albums. I suspect my file organization, optimized from my Squeezebox days, is not allowing the indexing to pick up the metadata for the library. This is extremely low priority for me as the Browse functions just as I would like for my use.

2) I attempted to create two new radio stations. Their websites pointed me to .m3u entries which, not surprisingly, did not work for me. I then captured the .m3u files and dug the URLs from them:

http://stream.kpft.org:/8000/live_64
http://streaming.kzsc.org:/8000/kzschigh

These will load to the playlist, and play with the Playback window showing some detail that clearly indicates a connection to the station. The time counter steps along fine, but there is no sound. There is more background here, but I first wanted to see if the style of the two URLs ("port/streamname") was a non-starter.

3) Can I carefully edit /mnt/NAS/<mynasname> files to add music and then run the utility.sh script to umount and mount to possibly save a rescan. It might be playing with file if there's a database going out of synch as a result.

4) Does the Update Web Radio button only add stations you have added to the default, fully approved list, or should I use if after I have added stations (that actually work)?

5) Should I always Power Down in the interface before cutting the actual power to my RPI2? What is the accessibility of Moode after such a power-down where the physical unit has remained powered up?

You have devoted a fair bit if time to my support up to this point. Thank you very much. Please don't feel the need to such prompt responses now for me. I do suspect that your answers will help subsequent new users.

Skip

Chipmunks Transformed

Turning on resampling morphed the chipmunks to beings that sing like humans. It would seem that MoOde had a good enough handle on the incoming sample rate to resample to a rate that passes to the Digi+ and on to the Twisted Pear Opus DAC cleanly. I upsampled to 196/24 as that's the DAC's max. Sounds like that bypasses an awkward interface.

Skip

Hello Tim,

Yesterday I followed your modified sequence and first, the radio station played, I mounted and indexed the NAS, and files played, then I closed the web interface and successfully changed the timezone with SSH. For the rest of the evening I explored formats and resolutions, all good (except those I didn't expect to work because of DAC limitations). I was able to use my android phone to control play nicely.

TC: Glad to here that the start up sequence worked out :)

Do you think some of most of the issues I faced earlier might be related to the browser I'm using (Google Chrome)? I am happy to test others browsers and or process orders, if it would be useful for you.

TC: I think you're ok staying with Chrome. I test using Safari and IE but other Moode users have Chrome, Firefox, etc and they seem to work fine.

A bunch of questions remain:

1) The library does not show anything when I click on artists or albums. I suspect my file organization, optimized from my Squeezebox days, is not allowing the indexing to pick up the metadata for the library. This is extremely low priority for me as the Browse functions just as I would like for my use.

TC: Question - in the Browse panel when u drill down to the song list for an Album do u see Artist/Album names under the song title?

2) I attempted to create two new radio stations. Their websites pointed me to .m3u entries which, not surprisingly, did not work for me. I then captured the .m3u files and dug the URLs from them:

http://stream.kpft.org:/8000/live_64
http://streaming.kzsc.org:/8000/kzschigh

These will load to the playlist, and play with the Playback window showing some detail that clearly indicates a connection to the station. The time counter steps along fine, but there is no sound. There is more background here, but I first wanted to see if the style of the two URLs ("port/streamname") was a non-starter.

TC: Remove the slash (/) preceding "8000" and they should work. I listened to both of them earlier.

3) Can I carefully edit /mnt/NAS/<mynasname> files to add music and then run the utility.sh script to umount and mount to possibly save a rescan. It might be playing with file if there's a database going out of synch as a result.

TC: You will need to run "Update MPD Database" from the Sources config screen or "Update folder" from the Browse action menu whenever you make changes (add/edit/delete files) to any of your music sources.

4) Does the Update Web Radio button only add stations you have added to the default, fully approved list, or should I use if after I have added stations (that actually work)?

TC: If you add/edit/delete stations via the UI then no need to run "Update folder". If you manually copy stations to the Webradio shairpoint then u need to run "Update folder" or "Update MPD Database".

5) Should I always Power Down in the interface before cutting the actual power to my RPI2? What is the accessibility of Moode after such a power-down where the physical unit has remained powered up?

TC: Good practice is to power down the UI then cut power, but if I'm in a hurry I just cut power and so far I haven't experienced anything bad (corrupted sd card) as a result but I may just be lucky. After the UI is powered down, Moode is not accessible until the Pi is power cycled.

You have devoted a fair bit if time to my support up to this point. Thank you very much. Please don't feel the need to such prompt responses now for me. I do suspect that your answers will help subsequent new users.

Skip

Hi Skip,

My responses and one question are bolded. Thanks so much for testing and posting your questions :) Let me know what you see when you drill into a song list for an Album in the Browse panel.

Regards,
Tim

TC: Question - in the Browse panel when u drill down to the song list for an Album do u see Artist/Album names under the song title?

Yes, I see "Artistname" vertical centered dot "Albumname" in a subdued but legible gray

TC: Remove the slash (/) preceding "8000" and they should work. I listened to both of them earlier.

Those were typos on my part in my long posting. Once I turned up the volume pot KZSC played, and after I turned on upsampling KPFT kicked in. This evening I plan on testing a bunch of inputs to see if the SOX load causes any performance hiccups. None heard thus far.

Thanks,

Skip