Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi
Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2015, 04:14 AM   #121
TimCurtis is offline TimCurtis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckapound View Post
I have a simple question, as I am having some trouble trying to get to the interface for this thing.

The "Readme" on the TCMods site says to go to "http://moode" when booted and connected to a network.

When I do this, depending on the browser I either get nothing at all, or the Moode college site (mode.com). The address for this device seems weird in that it has no .com, .org, etc. so I'm wondering if this is a typo or if there is something I am missing.

I really appreciate all the hard work on this project, but am frustrated that the instructions on the site don't seem to work for me. I do have it booted properly as near as I can tell, and it is showing up when I scan the network.

Any suggestions?
Hi,

Just send me an email (tim at tcmods dot org) and I'll troubleshoot Email is best since sometimes there is a need to exchange screen shots, files, etc.

Regards,
Tim
Old 28th May 2015, 10:18 AM   #122
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
Still the way to go would be to fill the input buffer first and then start the playback, like e.g. mplayer does it (-cache + -cache-min). Perhaps MPD can be configured a bit in that respect?
That's what I do with squeezelite. squeezelite offers two main buffers that can be freely configured as high as RAM availability allows. The stream-in buffer and the processing buffer (from there PCM goes straight to the interface/Alsa). If the buffers are big enough (covering a full track at least) , you'll see a peak load for 2/3 seconds in the beginning and then CPU load goes below 1%. Even on my combined PI2 SoA-client/server.

Anyhow. I'm back to SqueezeOnArch (SoA). Made it work on a PI2 now.
Moode was a nice try. It's very well done and working. Same league as Volumio and Rune.
But it's not what I'd call a network (server/client) solution.
Beside that it's not supporting Qobuz. Meanwhile that's a NoGo for me.

Good luck. Enjoy.
Old 28th May 2015, 05:00 PM   #123
silicium is offline silicium  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Well - I am using MoOde just since the 1.8 release.
I am not sure what @soundcheck refers to as a "network solution" for his audio listening.
My current scenario employs the raspi2/HifiBerry DAC+ with
MoOde as a DLNA/UPnP renderer only.

I have two fully fledged DLNA servers running in my network which are much better suited to that task than the raspi2 regarding processing/network capabilities.

My NAS runs it's own DLNA server anyway, why use another with less capabilities/facilities on the raspi2?
And for managing my music library and occasionally serving as a DLNA server I am using foobar2k btw.

Both DLNA servers are much faster and more powerfull (internal connect or 1 GBit/s, extended and/or customizable mediatrees)
than the current mpd DLNA server employed by MoOde.

I am using BubbleUPnp/UPnPlay on Android and foobar2k as DLNA controllers to submit/manage playlists and control MoOde in general.

All works satisfactorily

regards silicium

Last edited by silicium; 28th May 2015 at 05:24 PM. Reason: info about controlpoints/layout
Old 28th May 2015, 05:15 PM   #124
bambadoo is offline bambadoo  Norway
diyAudio Member

of you type
moode/

what happens?
Old 29th May 2015, 01:47 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tppc View Post

Quote:
I have a simple question, as I am having some trouble trying to get to the interface for this thing.

The "Readme" on the TCMods site says to go to "http://moode" when booted and connected to a network.

When I do this, depending on the browser I either get nothing at all, or the Moode college site (mode.com). The address for this device seems weird in that it has no .com, .org, etc. so I'm wondering if this is a typo or if there is something I am missing.

I really appreciate all the hard work on this project, but am frustrated that the instructions on the site don't seem to work for me. I do have it booted properly as near as I can tell, and it is showing up when I scan the network.

Any suggestions?
Just send me an email (tim at tcmods dot org) and I'll troubleshoot Email is best since sometimes there is a need to exchange screen shots, files, etc.

Regards,
Tim
Hi,

Just an fyi in case anyone else runs into the same issue - the fix for this was to use "http://moode.local" instead of "http://moode"

I've updated the setup instructions (readme.txt) with a note

Regards,
Tim
Old 29th May 2015, 02:00 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silicium View Post
Well - I am using MoOde just since the 1.8 release.
I am not sure what @soundcheck refers to as a "network solution" for his audio listening.
My current scenario employs the raspi2/HifiBerry DAC+ with
MoOde as a DLNA/UPnP renderer only.

I have two fully fledged DLNA servers running in my network which are much better suited to that task than the raspi2 regarding processing/network capabilities.

My NAS runs it's own DLNA server anyway, why use another with less capabilities/facilities on the raspi2?
And for managing my music library and occasionally serving as a DLNA server I am using foobar2k btw.

Both DLNA servers are much faster and more powerfull (internal connect or 1 GBit/s, extended and/or customizable mediatrees)
than the current mpd DLNA server employed by MoOde.

I am using BubbleUPnp/UPnPlay on Android and foobar2k as DLNA controllers to submit/manage playlists and control MoOde in general.

All works satisfactorily

regards silicium
Hi,

Glad to hear this is working nicely for you I've been learning a lot about UPnP this past month!

There are some enhancements to the UPnP renderer coming in release 1.9 including album art display, improved metadata handling and a fix for play/pause control.

Also a big fix to the configuration of miniDLNA!

Regards,
Tim
Old 30th May 2015, 03:06 PM   #127
Buckapound is offline Buckapound  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help, Tim, I did get it up and running. I hate to bother you with a bunch of newbie questions, but I am determined to get this working if I can.

I have a couple more questions:

- I'm trying to run a Sabre 9023 i2s DAC sold on eBay as a Beaglebone DAC by a seller named "Sellarz." I have the setting on generic i2s DAC. Any experience with this one, or reason to think it will or will not run? I have had a few times when the player could not be found on moode.local when the DAC is plugged in. Is that the normal behavior when the DAC is not supported?

- I have a large hard drive (2TB, about 1.3 tb of WAV files right now) attached and scanned into the database. On the browse menu playlist, every tune displays individually without the Alphabetical (A, B, C folders, etc)/artists/albums/songs structure I had on the hard drive, each with the term "radio station" under it. It does display the file path: USB/A/Artist/Album/Song, but it makes for a very long list and a very cluttered interface. Is there any way to preserve or recreate that structure in the playlist? If I have to select every song from a list of 30,000 or so songs, it's very inconvenient. For a large collection like this, it's just not practical. It appears that you can't play a song it it's not on the playlist--right? Thoughts?
Old 30th May 2015, 05:56 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help, Tim, I did get it up and running. I hate to bother you with a bunch of newbie questions, but I am determined to get this working if I can.

I have a couple more questions:

- I'm trying to run a Sabre 9023 i2s DAC sold on eBay as a Beaglebone DAC by a seller named "Sellarz." I have the setting on generic i2s DAC. Any experience with this one, or reason to think it will or will not run? I have had a few times when the player could not be found on moode.local when the DAC is plugged in. Is that the normal behavior when the DAC is not supported?

- I have a large hard drive (2TB, about 1.3 tb of WAV files right now) attached and scanned into the database. On the browse menu playlist, every tune displays individually without the Alphabetical (A, B, C folders, etc)/artists/albums/songs structure I had on the hard drive, each with the term "radio station" under it. It does display the file path: USB/A/Artist/Album/Song, but it makes for a very long list and a very cluttered interface. Is there any way to preserve or recreate that structure in the playlist? If I have to select every song from a list of 30,000 or so songs, it's very inconvenient. For a large collection like this, it's just not practical. It appears that you can't play a song it it's not on the playlist--right? Thoughts?
Hi,

(1) I have the setting on generic i2s DAC

Try the HifiBerry DAC+ I2S driver. A lot of I2S DAC's for Raspberry Pi-2 will work with this driver

(2) a few times when player could not be found on moode.local when the DAC is plugged in. Is that the normal behavior when the DAC is not supported?

Player not found condition would be due to a network connectivity or name resolution issue and not related to DAC.

(3) about 1.3 tb of WAV files right now ... every tune displays individually without the Alphabetical (A, B, C folders, etc)/artists/albums/songs structure I had on the hard drive

This happens because the WAV files do not contain metadata tags i.e., Artist, Album, Song Title, etc. which are required by MPD (the music server used by Moode). The Library will not work either without metadata tags in the song files.

I'd suggest bulk converting the WAV files to FLAC format with utility that can attempt to build the metadata tags The dBpoweramp utility is a widely respected tool for this purpose. https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

(4) It appears that you can't play a song it it's not on the playlist--right?

Correct, MPD requires songs to be in the Playlist queue

Regards,
Tim
Old 30th May 2015, 08:33 PM   #129
Buckapound is offline Buckapound  United States
diyAudio Member

I started with WAV files because I had some primitive Chinese players I was using in search of better sound, and they wouldn't play anything else.

I know some of the proprietary players claim to be able to go out to the net (CDDB and elsewhere?) and add covers, etc. when ripping CDs. Is that what you're talking about with dBPowerAmp? I've got thousands of files that were recorded and ripped from old LPs and they don't always come up in CDDB. Would sure hate to have to rebuild all that by hand.

Thanks for the help.
Old 30th May 2015, 09:09 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I started with WAV files because I had some primitive Chinese players I was using in search of better sound, and they wouldn't play anything else.

I know some of the proprietary players claim to be able to go out to the net (CDDB and elsewhere?) and add covers, etc. when ripping CDs. Is that what you're talking about with dBPowerAmp? I've got thousands of files that were recorded and ripped from old LPs and they don't always come up in CDDB. Would sure hate to have to rebuild all that by hand.

Thanks for the help.
Hi,

I was thinking that dBpoweramp or some other Conversion Utility could be used to batch convert your WAV files and in the process make a best effort at filling in the metadata tags either by Internet lookup of song filename or by using ArtistName/AlbumName from the folder structure containing the songs, if they are stored in that type of named folder structure.

This would not involve re-ripping the CD's.

Regards,
Tim

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry PiHide this!Advertise here!