Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

moodeOS Milestone #3 is complete. All components including core and non-core installed and configured. Moode Audio Player working perfectly so far on custom J-Lite. Performance is outstanding :)

moodeOS is based on most recent 2016-03-18 J-Lite (4.1.19 Linux kernel). It includes custom compiled components and stock components at their latest releases under Jessie. Many of the new component releases required configuration changes and changes to Moode software. Looking ahead to Milestone #4, the focus will be on optimization, evaluating replacement components, additional code changes to take advantage of certain features in J-Lite and stress testing for stability and robustness.

When complete, moodeOS will provide a solid, forward-looking OS platform for running Moode Audio Player, fully support the entire family of Raspberry Pi boards from Pi-0 through latest Pi-3, and offer a familiar configuration to Raspbian community making it easy to DIY :)

Regards,
Tim

Tim, Excellent news !

It will be great to run Moode Audio Player on all Pi boards including the Pi3.

I have been enjoying my music on moode on my Pi2 for more than a year.

I'm looking forward to try moode on Pi3 now and on Pi Zero in future.

Any estimate of when a test release will be available?

Rick

I have now uploaded a slim image of the 2.5 for rpi3 that works with Hifiberrydac+pro that is not compressed.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x66b3we8xo5xi7g/AACkKxugYwtGqDCxAg4RVYi3a?dl=0

Thank you very much Tim for the guide, I could not find a good response by a google search.

Henry,

Thanks for the effort. I downloaded successfully and tried on my Pi3. It startup ok on the Pi3 when i see the output via hdmi. :)

But when I go "moode.local/" on my browser, this error appeared:

This site can’t be reached
moode.local’s server DNS address could not be found.
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Rebooting the Pi3 did not help.

Rick

Last edited:
New user here - my first attempt at setting up a Raspberry Pi was to run Moode. However, I unknowingly got a RPi3. :mad:

I have been very confused for the last couple hours trying to get Moode to run, but after reading through this thread I'm understanding that I should have purchased a Pi2. :(

I tried henrylarsen 's image (thanks Henry!), and it got past the rainbow block, but couldn't do anything beyond that. I notice the last line in the code says:
[ 2.674038] ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,3)

Not sure what to do beyond this point because I'm completely new at this -- if anyone has any suggestions for for a complete novice, I would love to try anything. Otherwise, it would probably be best for me to wait for Tim to get a new version of Moode that's RPi3 compatible.

Looking forward to getting this running! :eek:

Henry,

Thanks for the effort. I downloaded successfully and tried on my Pi3. It startup ok on the Pi3 when i see the output via hdmi. :)

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Rick

That's a network problem, not a Moode problem. Are you on Wifi or ethernet? If wifi, you need to connect via ethernet first, then set up your wifi.

New user here - my first attempt at setting up a Raspberry Pi was to run Moode. However, I unknowingly got a RPi3. :mad:

I have been very confused for the last couple hours trying to get Moode to run, but after reading through this thread I'm understanding that I should have purchased a Pi2. :(

I tried henrylarsen 's image (thanks Henry!), and it got past the rainbow block, but couldn't do anything beyond that. I notice the last line in the code says:
[ 2.674038] ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,3)

Not sure what to do beyond this point because I'm completely new at this -- if anyone has any suggestions for for a complete novice, I would love to try anything. Otherwise, it would probably be best for me to wait for Tim to get a new version of Moode that's RPi3 compatible.

Looking forward to getting this running! :eek:

This is the process for getting it to work on the Pi3: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-200.html#post4639143

If you're a Unix noob, you might struggle, but if you can SSH and edit config files, you will probably get it going pretty easily.

Henry,

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Rick

This will be your isp not recognising local DNS lookups. Go into your router and assign the Pi a static IP address instead of getting one assigned by dhcp. Then type that IP address into the browser and you should get to Moode.

That's what I do - see my posts about this on page 136

Hi Henry,

Here are terminal cmds I use on my Mac to make truncated Moode image and to copy img file to sd card using raw disk (rdisk) for speed.

# SDCARD -> IMG FILE W/TRUNCATION

diskutil list (*** verify its disk2 ***)
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
sudo dd if=/dev/disk2 of=/Users/Lt1user/Documents/sd.img count=3411968 bs=512
diskutil eject /dev/disk2

# IMG FILE -> SDCARD

diskutil list (*** verify its disk2 ***)
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
sudo dd if=/Users/Lt1user/Documents/sd.img of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=1m
diskutil eject /dev/disk2

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim
There is something going wrong when I do this. The image created (1.75GB) looks fine, and when copied back to an SD card it can start the Pi. But although it ends by showing the Moode image on the HDMI attached screen, it starts far too quickly and it doesn't work. Do you have any idea of why?

So for now the working image on dropbox is the 16gb one.

If you however have an RPI2, installing the GZ files also placed in the dropbox is very simple.

Last edited:
Henry,

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Rick

As mentioned above, there was something wrong with that image, sorry for that. I have now re-uploaded the one that I know are working, but you will probably need a 32gb card, or at least a 16 GB one.

Hi Tim
There is something going wrong when I do this. The image created (1.75GB) looks fine, and when copied back to an SD card it can start the Pi. But although it ends by showing the Moode image on the HDMI attached screen, it starts far too quickly and it doesn't work. Do you have any idea of why?

So for now the working image on dropbox is the 16gb one.

If you however have an RPI2, installing the GZ files also placed in the dropbox is very simple.

Hi Henry,

I use fdisk -l cmd to determine the ending block number for the root partition, then add 1 to it for the count= in dd.

On fresh Moode 2.5 image copied to any size sd card, fdisk -l should show ending block number 3411967 for root partition.

After transplanting kernel, the block number should be same.

email me if still having issues :)

-Tim

This is the process for getting it to work on the Pi3: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-200.html#post4639143

If you're a Unix noob, you might struggle, but if you can SSH and edit config files, you will probably get it going pretty easily.

Thanks Zootalaws ! But that process lost me at the second sentence: "Extract kernel from new Pi-3 compatible Raspbian Jessie and then install it on a TEST Moode image." Actually, I'm lost at the first two words. :eek:

I was trying @henrylarsen 's dropbox image on a 8GB card, so that's why that wasn't working. I may try @cosmo61 's link to resize the image tonight or this weekend if there's not a new 8GB Pi3 compatible image before then.

I got the Pi to set up a audio player, but also as as a learning experience. And it has definitely been the later!

Hi all,

Firstly Tim thanks for creating some great software.

Secondly I've just tried using Moode at work on our Guest wifi and connecting via http://moode/ or http://moode.local/ wasn't working. Luckily I found a HDMI converter and a spare keyboard and was able to find the local IP address. Accessing via the direct IP works fine at the moment.

I then tried to add a static IP via command line (via this guide http://weworkweplay.com/play/automatically-connect-a-raspberry-pi-to-a-wifi-network/) and I couldn't see a configuration file at "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" but I did see a different wpa related file.

Can I ask how I can set a static IP via the command line or would it be possible to add it to the development list for the Web interface (at a future stage)?

Also I another random question - thirdly, when browsing via the Library bottom tab. How do you had a whole Album to the play list in one go? I only seem to be able to add Tracks via the Library tab or I can add whole Folders (and hence an album if that's how I've structured the files) via the Browse tab.

Thanks again Tim!

Cheers

Also I another random question - thirdly, when browsing via the Library bottom tab. How do you had a whole Album to the play list in one go? I only seem to be able to add Tracks via the Library tab or I can add whole Folders (and hence an album if that's how I've structured the files) via the Browse tab.

Thanks again Tim!

Cheers

Just select the Album in Library view, then click on the album art/ikon and a menu will appear which will do the job.