smart TV to Router & PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
My friend is connecting his Smart DVD player to his modem/router by ethernet cable
He also wants to connect his Laptop to the router and can use either WiFi, or ethernet cable.

What are the cable length restrictions?
Do the flexible patch leads need to add up to less than a preset length limit?

Do the patch lead lengths between Router and DVD become independent of the lead length used between the Router and the Laptop?
Or do they add up when Laptop is talking to DVD?

We updated the DVD firmware yesterday via the router. Success. Now version 1.35 instead of the as bought, version 1.31.
His TV is not described as Smart, but it does have an RJ45 port on the back.

Last edited:
Each lead is in its own electrical space between transmitter and receiver, and is not aware of any other leads.

I have never found ANY sensitivity to lead length (or lead "quality") in Ethernet connections except when using Gigabit (i.e. 1000 Mb/s) connections which uses all 4 pairs in a different data mode to 10 and 100 Mb/s.

Each lead is in its own electrical space between transmitter and receiver, and is not aware of any other leads.

I have never found ANY sensitivity to lead length (or lead "quality") in Ethernet connections except when using Gigabit (i.e. 1000 Mb/s) connections which uses all 4 pairs in a different data mode to 10 and 100 Mb/s.
so you are confirming that only the length of the Cat5E plus the patch leads in one route from Router to Device needs to be considered.

so you are confirming that only the length of the Cat5E plus the patch leads in one route from Router to Device needs to be considered.

Sort-of!

All input outputs are buffered through their own driver / receivers. Not sure what you mean by "only the length of the Cat5E plus the patch leads". Some unhelpful thinking here.

All the leads, patch or fixed, are Cat5(5e)(6). I know of no hub or switch that simply passes through the wire. They are buffered and / or switched and become "new" signals as far as transmission lines are concerned.

Even the humble dunb hub (practically obsolete now) still buffers the signals.

Last edited:
Are you driven by curiosity to get an exact specification, or is it sufficient to say that you're unlikely to encounter problems even in the most widespread domestic environments?
If someone asks for help I don't want to give them bum information nor do I want to leave them with a bum installation.

We finished & tested it this afternoon.
Down load of BBC's iPlayer and such like, is too slow. It keeps having to stop to reload the buffer.
But you have confirmed sufficiently that I can't blame the cables. It is much more likely that his farm located broadband service is simply not good enough to cope with the bandwidth required for movie clips.

If someone asks for help I don't want to give them bum information nor do I want to leave them with a bum installation.

We finished & tested it this afternoon.
Down load of BBC's iPlayer and such like, is too slow. It keeps having to stop to reload the buffer.
But you have confirmed sufficiently that I can't blame the cables. It is much more likely that his farm located broadband service is simply not good enough to cope with the bandwidth required for movie clips.

Worth downloading speedtest.net and check the ADSL download / upload speeds. These are far lower than that limited by cables.

After going through several iterations of broadband I can confirm that 10Mb/s download will just about work with iPlayer with just the occasional pause for buffering.

>= 20Mb/s will work reliably apart from the rare internet glitch, about which one can do little.

5Mb/s will work, but with constant pauses and hiccups.

BT's fibre to the cabinet usually gives 40Mb/s +, so able to stream HD movies with ease. I don't know how realistic that is "up norf" where you live.

To borrow SY's terminology, cables would have to be pathologically bad to influence an adequate broadband speed.

Worth downloading speedtest.net and check the ADSL download / upload speeds. These are far lower than that limited by cables.
This has been done repeatedly over months and many complaints to BT business that they had a problem. They evenbtually believed us and actually sent a technician that knew how to test their overhead cables for faults. They replaced a few hundred metres of below spec cable, but the farm is so far from the exchange that he can never get hi speed broadband.
After going through several iterations of broadband I can confirm that 10Mb/s download will just about work with iPlayer with just the occasional pause for buffering.

>= 20Mb/s will work reliably apart from the rare internet glitch, about which one can do little.

5Mb/s will work, but with constant pauses and hiccups.
I don't remember the numbers for "speedtest" but I do know that his ping test is much worse than my farm located site. He gets upto 160ms with one ping test and now usually gets 100% success.
BT's fibre to the cabinet usually gives 40Mb/s +, so able to stream HD movies with ease. I don't know how realistic that is "up norf" where you live.

To borrow SY's terminology, cables would have to be pathologically bad to influence an adequate broadband speed.
BT's cables must have been pathologically bad !.
Even the incompetent technician finally found a repair that had been dropped on the grass to get wet, rather than hung back up on the pole where it should have been. He laid it on a fence post where it lay for more than two months before they finally replaced about 5 pole lengths.

Last edited:
That IS pathological - but you are talking there about the phone line which carries the ADSL modulation, NOT the Ethernet cable(s) downstream of the modem!

That is a different kettle of lobsters with a predictable loss/unit length. The way ADSL modulates the carrier on top of the POTS line, with its 1:10 assymetry was explained to me in detail about 20 years ago. I didn't understand it then, either!

Last edited:
Wasn't it ISDN 20 years ago.... I had the same explanation when doing some Video Conference stuff...
Up North (well not as far as Scotland) I get about 73Mb from BT, need it with all the families mobiles, games machines tablets and smart TVs (2) we have no problems, before though we had 3.5Mb and couldn't use the Smart TVs online.

We got his TV to talk to the laptop last night.

Used windows media player - Library to turn on media sharing.
Used the DLNA enabled DVD player to find the home network (took about an hour of failed attempts and reading googled pages to sus this out).

We were able to see photos on the TV.
And to hear music tracks through the sound bar.
But the video came back with "no files".
The sample video files are .wmv
The DVD box shows Xvidhome, MP4 & MKV, but wmv is not in the list.

How does he save streamed BBCiplayer so that he can watch it through the link?
Reminder:
the direct streamed is too slow. The pic keeps stopping.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.