quiet server - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2015, 10:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default quiet server

Not having built computers for a couple of decades, I'm amazed at the new tech that's available. Having had a computer die recently & another start to play up, It's time to put a build together. Are these a good place to start, & how good is the on-board audio??:
Intel DN2820FYKH Celeron NUC Barebone Kit
Intel DN2820FYKH Celeron NUC Barebone Kit [BOXDN2820FYKH0] - $179.00 : PC Case Gear

Gigabyte BRIX GB-BXBT-1900 Ultra Compact Barebone
Gigabyte BRIX GB-BXBT-1900 Ultra Compact Barebone [GB-BXBT-1900] - $199.00 : PC Case Gear

They don't seem to have enough USB ports to me...???
Old 28th February 2015, 07:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Those are not quiet solutions. And bare in mind you have to buy ram and storage separately. On board audio is not an issue since you can get an external DAC afterwards. And the low number of USB's can be solved with USB hubs.
Old 1st March 2015, 09:14 AM   #3
den_hr is offline den_hr  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Pete, are you looking to build a "universal" PC server (& desktop machine) for home use, or are you looking strictly at an audio server?

How much are you willing to spend?

If you're looking for strictly PC-based audio server, which will be used exclusively for playing/serving music (Internet radio, USB external hard disk with music files, etc.), and want to get it relatively cheap, look no further than used "thin clients": relatively slow processors (600-900MHz), small amount of RAM (up to 1GB), but built like tanks, and made to work 24/7 (i.e. reliable).... can be had second-hand practically for peanuts... Add external USB DAC (if you have one), use some specialized Linux audio distro, and you're set.
(I have some examples on my commercial web site, here, so that you can see possible hardware to use...)

On the other hand, if you want the maximum audio quality with the least effort and money investment, you could use a Raspberry Pi + one of the DACs for it (hifiberry etc.), put it into some kind of small enclosure, and you have a hi-resolution audio server with excellent sound quality, that also has absolutely minimal power consumption - google RuneAudio, Volumio, etc...

Regards,
Denis

Hide this!Advertise here!