Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Digital Crossover
Digital Crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2014, 08:31 AM   #11
DorinD is offline DorinD  Romania
diyAudio Member

As an hardware option to easy and cheaply output 8-way at least 24bit/48kHz you can use USBStreamer B | MiniDSP and a D/A ADAT box of your choice (I am using an old ESI ADAM24)
Old 3rd December 2014, 06:51 PM   #12
AlanL is offline AlanL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzernaam View Post
Now all I have to do is save up the 3 grand...
Yeah, it's not an inexpensive hobby. But I did mine on the cheap. Ended up with both the minidsp 4x10 and a Steinberg UR28M. Usually use the minidsp, it's so easy (I'm not a software friendly user). Had it running in about an hour, but still playing with the settings. JR Media Center can also do the crossover and dsp. Rephase is also an interesting option. Maybe someday I'll go for better dacs. Twisted pear has a multichannel if you want to diy (8 channels of dsd it says, that's lotsa bits).

Right now working on a passive system for another room.

Have fun with it!
Old 3rd December 2014, 08:41 PM   #13
uzernaam is offline uzernaam  United States
diyAudio Member

AlanL, you said JR Media center can do the crossover and dsp. Do you mean that it can do this with plugins or additional programs, or that this software is capable of doing it on its own?

I would think that I would need to tie in something like Thuneau's frequency allocator for those capabilities.
Old 4th December 2014, 03:42 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

It's all in the parametric eq in jrmc. no plugins required. Here's a how-to from their forum how to use p. equalizer for activ front and 5.2 setup--need help.

And here's some free software that should do it, from the brilliant people right here at diyaudio. rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
Old 4th December 2014, 08:23 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

AlanL, you've given me some awesome resources. I feel like a kid in a candy store.
Old 5th December 2014, 12:37 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I'd recommend learning the tech well before sinking big bucks into hardware. There's lots of inexpensive options. Hardware is evolving rapidly these days. If you aren't already measuring your results, that can be a huge step up. Good luck.
Old 5th December 2014, 02:03 AM   #17
Richidoo is offline Richidoo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzernaam View Post
Richidoo, that Presonus looks good, but I'm afraid it won't work for me, because at 88.1 or 96 kHz, it breaks down to 4 channels.
Only the ADAT steps down. Analog and SPDIF channels are 24/96 at all times.

I'm using JRiver20 to do active crossovers. Everything you need is built in and it sounds excellent.

Last edited by Richidoo; 5th December 2014 at 02:06 AM.
Old 5th December 2014, 04:09 AM   #18
ted4412wilt is online now ted4412wilt  United States
diyAudio Member

What ASUS Xonar did you try? I have used D1 and D2 and found them very good. They make some more expensive ones and some cheapos. Do not expect much from the cheap models.
Old 6th December 2014, 08:33 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I was using the Asus Xonar DX. Another thing about this card that made it not work for me is the popping that happened on the outputs when the internal relays clicked back and forth.
Old 6th December 2014, 08:56 PM   #20
Dave2 is offline Dave2  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm running a Lynx-2 sound card and Frequency Allocator software and getting excellent results with bi-amping my system. It may be outside your price range(costing about $1K) but it's by far the best DAC I've ever owned. In-another-class better than what was in my $4K Anthem surround processor. And leaps and bounds better than what was on my Asus motherboard, or in my Denon DVD player. If you're serious about your sound and can somehow scrape the money together, get one. You won't regret it.

Digital CrossoverHide this!Advertise here!