Cambridge Azur 640H

I have bought an unworking 640h off ebay. The display works and the hard disk runs but no sound or response to buttons.

I opened and the insides look mint to my untrained eye, and removing the HDD and connecting to my pc shows it works fine with correct files as far as I can tell.

I connected to a TV and got the blue Cambridge screen up but the top black menu line was blank and I could not select any pages.

Anyone with any thoughts on what I could try?

Guddie,

HI - at least the sellers description was accurate:).

My initial reaction is that it sound like you have a motherboard issue which is usually fatal, but there's a slight chance you might be able to sort.

First thing, check the cpu fan spins when you power up. I've seen a couple of these units that haven't be used for a while which have stuck or very slow fans which can lead to CPU failure.

Second thing to check - I assume not an issue in your case or you would probably have mentioned it - but do you get any 'memory unworkable' beeps on start up?

If you've access to a PS2 keyboard you could also try connecting that up and alternatively press and release the 'x' and 'home' keys, you'll be asked for a password which is mk92ea this should bring up the BIOS interface. You can check through the screens to see if anything looks unusual ( in truth not a lot to see because Cambridge have customised BIOS so a lot of options are hidden!).

It might be easier if you joined my Facebook group which has more info

https://www.facebook.com/groups/457482601956210

Good luck

Alchad

Hello Alchad and thank you very much for your reply.

Fan is fine and no beeps. I assume you cannot use a USB keyboard in the USB socket? Otherwise I will look out for one - the last PS2 keyboard I had went out about three moves ago..

I don't generally use Facebook but I will have a look sometime there also.

Thanks again
Guddie